Reuben Haigh

Reuben Haigh, son of John Haigh, was born at Pasture Side, Walsden.

He was a farmer of 272 acres, coal mine proprietor and inn keeper at the  Moorcock, Walsden [over 50 years].

He married (1) Grace Haigh.

Grace was the daughter of William Haigh


  1. Jinny
  2. John
  3. William
  4. Reuben
  5. James
  6. Joseph
  7. Samuel
  8. Luke Hamer

He married (2) Betty Jackson.

Betty was the daughter of Abraham Jackson


  1. Abraham
  2. Mary

He married (3) Betty Fielden.

Betty was the daughter of Samuel Fielden

Reuben had to take out a pre-nuptial agreement whereby he allowed her £40 a year to continue after his death.

They had no children.

They lived at Pex House, Todmorden; The Moorcock, Walsden.

Reuben died at Pexhouse. of epilepsy after 5 hours.

In 1792, John leased the area round Foulclough on Inchfield Moor from the Rev George Travis for 37 years for the purpose of sinking coal pits and working the mines. This was for a fixed annual rent and a rate of scorage.. In a very complicated indenture, John agreed to pay an annual rent of £20 for the land, to be paid twice a year, plus a further commission based on the amount of coal withdrawn from the ground. The monies were to be paid on the first day of July and the first day of January each year at the Old Roebuck Inn, Rochdale, or a place within 6 miles of this site.

He, his brother John, and their father, began to develop coal measures at Foul Clough.

When the mine was exhausted, the brothers made a new entrance to the coal pit at Coolham, there they and their sons and grandsons worked continuously until about 1890.

In 1831, on death of his father he inherited a half share of the estate at Pex Farm or Pexes (also known as Pighill Farm) along with his brother John, forever, as tenants in common, with the right to the rents going to his sister Ann Haigh for her lifetime. Also the same share in the estates at Top of All, Coolham and Vicarage, and the two dwelling houses and appurtenances at Nicklety as tenants in common with his brother John. Reuben also received the two tenements of Dick Coat and Wall Nook for his own use as well as his father's share in the stocks of sheep.

In 1838, brothers John and Reuben were elected to a Committee

... to make out a New Parochial Assessment for this Township in the manner directed by the new Parochial Assessment Act; and that the following persons together with the Churchwardens and Overseers do constitute such a Committee of whom any five with a majority of the Overseers and Churchwardens shall form a quorum

This was concerned with the new Poor Laws.

He was fined for refusing to pay his rates in objection to the new Poor Laws.

The brothers inherited the land, cottages and farm at Pexes from their father, and were quick to realise the potential of this land for building houses and cottages for the rapidly expanding population of Walsden. There was something in excess of 14 acres of land rising steeply from Gauxholme on the Todmorden side. The entrance to the packhorse road was just over the canal bridge at Gauxholme and it was there where Reuben and his brother built the first block of houses in 1836. The houses are still there today, and bear the names of the brothers and the date 1836.

Higher and further along the road is Pexroyd, a pair of semi-cottages, which overlook the valley below and command a wonderful view of all before them. These cottages were also in the hands of the family, and are where they lived from time to time.

He & other members of the family were buried at St Mary's Church, Todmorden

© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 18:38 / 12th April 2021 / 6744

Page Ref: ZZ_38

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind