Back Hall, Exley

Back Hall, Exley on Backhold Lane, Siddal, was originally a 13th century homestead.

It was rebuilt by Thomas Hanson in 1668, and dated T H E 1668 for Thomas and Esther Hanson.

Owners and tenants have included

The arms of the Hanson family were carved over the south door, surrounded by a border, in which appear the arms of the various families with whom they were connected by marriage.

There are several Classical inscriptions:

The Hall was later named Backhold Farm

The Halifax Guardian [Saturday 26th August 1843] advertised

Sale by Auction at the White Swan, Halifax on the 29th September 1843. The valuable and highly cultivated FARM called Back Hall in Southowram, comprising; Farmhouse and several cottages at Scarr Hall with the following Closes: CROFT, LOWER CROFT, ING, UPPER BREARLEY HEY, LOWER BREARLEY HEY, UPPER FAR FIELD, LOWER FAR FIELD, PASTURE, BACK LAITH FIELD, NEAR SCARR FIELD, ROUGH, FAR SCARR HALL FIELD in the occupation of Thomas Naylor.

Further particulars from Benjamin Outram, Esq., of Greetland or Mr Stansfield, Solicitor, Halifax


Later, a shop was set-up at the end of the row. Proprietors included:

This is discussed in the books Ancient Halls in & about Halifax and Halifax Antiquarian Society Transactions.

See Alice de Backhall, Backhold Lane, Siddal, William de Ecclesley, Exley, Robert Ramsden and Siddal Halls

© Malcolm Bull 2023
Revised 15:49 / 28th November 2023 / 5045

Page Ref: Y34

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind