The Attempted Murder of Mrs Freda Lindley [1947]

The following documents refer to Jack Schofield's attempted murder of Mrs Freda Lindley

The bfdob [Thursday 31st July 1947]

Wyke Man Accused of Attempted Murder.

Jack Schofield (37) a widower, of Carr House Gate, Wyke, for whom police kept an all-night vigil in woods near Wyke following an attack of Mrs Freda Lindley of Ivy Cottage, Norwood Green, Brighouse, was arrested yesterday morning in a house at Wyke.

He was charged with attempting to cut Mrs Lindley's throat with a knife.

Until recently the couple had been friends, but late fell out.

Early one morning Mrs Lindley left her home at 5:45 am to go to work. About 150 yards from her home, the accused was waiting for her and she asked him

What are you doing here?

He replied

I have brought you this

and produced a wallet. He also said

I have brought you this too

and pulled out what appeared to be a pocket knife.

The prisoner then put his hands over Mrs Lindley's eyes and stabbed her several times in the throat.

Her father found her a few minutes later in a distressed state and she was taken to the Royal Halifax Infirmary in a serious condition.

The prisoner was arrested in a cellar in Barraclough Square, Wyke, and said

I am deeply sorry, I will show you where I threw the knife

When charged he said

I can assure you I am very sorry. I had no intention to do it. I do not want to be awkward


The yob [Saturday 22nd November 1947]

The article said that Schofield was an unemployed boiler firer. Mr H. R. B. Shepherd for the defence said Schofield had sustained severe head injuries in an accident at work, and as a result his whole character had been changed both physically and mentally. He had been subject to fits and had twice attempted suicide.

Mrs Lindley was in hospital for 3 weeks. Schofield was sentenced to six years' penal servitude


The Halifax Courier & Guardian [Wednesday 30th July 1947]

Following a report that Schofield had been seen in the vicinity of Judy Woods, Norwood Green, last night, the West Riding Police threw a cordon round the wood, and about 20 officers were on duty throughout the night.

This morning, another force of police, from the West Riding and Bradford City Forces, armed with sticks and nine-feet long staves concentrated at the Wyke end of the wood.

News of the man's arrest was given over the police radio and the beaters dispersed


The hxec [Wednesday, 22nd February 1950]

Why didn't you run over me? I wish you had killed me

said Freda Lindley of Ivy Cottage, Norwood Green Halifax, after a motor driver had, by mounting the pavement, managed to avoid running over her in Norwood Green.

She was charged with unlawfully attempting suicide by placing herself in front of a moving car. She pleaded guilty.

Walter Edgar Smith of Green Lane, Hove Edge said he was driving down the main street in Norwood Green and a man and a woman were coming towards him on the pavement. When he was about three or four yards away from them the woman dashed in front of his car. He swerved and avoided hitting her.

She appeared to be in an hysterical frame of mind. This evidence was confirmed by Charles Craven Young of Well Green Lane, Hove Edge, who was driving the car behind Mr Smith.

Fred Sellars of Earl Street, Claremount, Halifax, said he had been keeping company with the defendant for 18 months. He was taking her home that evening and they were having a slight quarrel. After the car had avoided her he said to her

Come along, don't be so silly

meaning that she should not be so upset about the slight quarrel.

In a statement, she said she often thought about the time she had nearly been murdered, and she worried about the man coming out of prison and trying to do it again.

Chief Inspector T. Lawrence said it was known that the defendant had been ill recently, and that her financial circumstances were low.

The magistrates found her guilty, but discharged her on condition that there was no similar happening in the next twelve months. They wanted her to feel that they understood and were extremely anxious to help. They were asking the Probation Officer to get in touch with the defendant who should not go in fear of anyone. The 15s costs would be attended to.

The court was informed at the conclusion of the case that banns were being put in on Saturday by the witness, Sellars, and the defendant. The magistrates wished the couple much happiness


This & associated entries use material contributed by Jeffrey Knowles

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 22:00 / 2nd April 2024 / 8364

Page Ref: X529

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind