Documents relating to the death of Mrs Phyllis Crummy [1930]

The following documents mention the death of Mrs Phyllis Crummy the attempted suicide of Albert Allen

In 1930, Albert Allen, of Mytholmroyd, ran away to London with Phyllis, the wife of Clement A. Crummy, of Ovenden. In September, Phyllis was found dead and Albert was found unconscious in an hotel room in Cartwright Gardens, London

The Todmorden Advertiser & Hebden Bridge Newsletter [Friday 1st September 1930] reported


At Clerkenwell Police Court, London, Albert Allen (28) stated to be of Stocks Yard, Stocks Estate, Mytholmroyd, was charged with murder and attempted suicide.

When Allen stepped into the dock he was wearing a brown suit, but had not a collar and tie.

Divisional Detective Inspector Gordon Hester saw Allen at St Pancras Infirmary and said to him

At about 10 o'clock on 2nd Sep you were lying unconscious in a room at 55, Cartwright Gardens beside the body of Phyllis Crummy who died from coal gas poisoning

Allen replied

Yes, that would be Tuesday

He later said

I am not guilty. Can I explain?

The couple had taken rooms in the hotel using the name Mr & Mrs Allenby, but had not paid for them. When the owner tried to enter the room he found it locked. He pushed the key out with a pair of tweezers and found the couple lying on a mattress in front of a gas fire which had been wrenched out of its place.

The woman was dead but the man was breathing and was taken to hospital. The police said both were partially dressed and they found two letters, one written by the woman addressed to Mr C. A. Crummy, 27 Westward Ho, Shaw Lane, Halifax, and the other in the man's handwriting to Mr & Mrs E. J. Allen, 13 Burnley Road, Mytholmroyd. In the gas meter were six pennies and the gas had almost given out. The windows were shut and a bolster had been put up the chimney.

HUSBANDS EVIDENCE. Clement A. Crummy said he was living at Guest Road, Hunter's Bar, Sheffield, and said they were married four years ago.

They had one child but had separated voluntarily in May this year.

He had been out of work for six months, which was probably why his wife had left him. He had travelled about but had sent money to his wife every week. No further evidence was offered at the inquest.

The Coroner said

There is a man under arrest on account of murder

and adjourned the inquest until 28th October which is next Sessions open at the Old Bailey.

Allen pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to attempted suicide.

His Lordship said it was a serious case which required some imprisonment and sentenced Allen to twelve months imprisonment.

It had been suggested that the deceased had taken morphia but the doctor confirmed that death was due to coal gas poisoning.


There were about a dozen mourners, including her husband, her mother and father and her brother, together with other relatives. Interment was at Mount Zion United Methodist Cemetery, Ogden, Halifax.

Phyllis was buried at Mount Zion Methodist Chapel, Ogden [Grave Ref: G8]

Wreaths were from her son Gordon, mother and father, Arthur & May, also Mildred & cecil, Albert & Nellie, Uncle Jim and Auntie Clara and family, Rosaleen and Mr & Mrs Wood


© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 16:07 / 11th May 2021 / 5805

Page Ref: X522

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind