Samuel Baines FRGS, the son of John Baines of Coley, was born in Shelf.
Baptised at Halifax Parish Church [11th June 1815].
He was a manufacturer  / worsted spinner & manufacturer employing 522 persons  / a farmer with 38 acres employing 2 labourers and 2 boys  / a worsted manufacturer employing 71 hands .
He went on to become known as a scientist, geologist, industrialist and philanthropist.
He was a member of the Highfield Astronomical & Meteorological Society; a generous supporter of Brighouse Mechanics' Institute. He gave a large number of book prizes.
In 1850, he married Betsey Armitage [1828-1???] from Cleckheaton, in Dewsbury.
The family lived at Holroyd House, Priestley Green [1851, 1858, 1861]. In 1861, his nephew Thomas Armytage Roberts [b 1851], was living with the family.
Around 1850, he bought Baines Square, 3 mills – Victoria Mills, Canal Mill, Prince Albert Mill - and land in Brighouse from James and Henry Noble. He also extensively developed the area between Mill Lane and Huddersfield Road, which is now occupied by Sainsburys supermarket.
In 1852, he built a row of workers' cottages – Baines Row.
In December 1858, he read a paper entitled
The Yorkshire Flags and their Fossils
to the West Riding Geological & Polytechnic Society in which he disputed popular opinion that fossils were marks in rocks, much as frost forms patterns on windows.
In 1862, he was mentioned in reports of meetings to establish a Liberal registration association for the Northern Division.
He was declared bankrupt, but this was annulled in December 1864.
he came to grief by trusting a man in the Midlands in business matters
and financial circumstances forced him to sell his library of over 4000 scientific books
COLEY. was buried at Halifax Parish Church A monument was erected to him in Coley churchyard by his sister, Sophie, in testimony of his worth and her sisterly love
Page Ref: X300
|site search by freefind|