The Halifax Literary & Philosophical Society was established in September 1830 by a group including:
The first annual meeting was held on 7th October 1831.
In 1831, Anne Lister was the only women member eligible to serve on the committee.
The Society's museum was known as the Halifax Museum.
In October 1849, a newspaper item reported a meeting held to confirm a decision to dissolve the Society.
The Society's circulating library merged with that of the Halifax Circulation Library in 1866.
Officers of the Society have included
Other members the Society have included
In 1896, the Society's museum collections were presented to the town and formed the basis of the Akroyd and Belle Vue Museums.
The Society was discontinued in 1964
See Halifax Geological Society
Page Ref: X272
|site search by freefind|