Schools & Sunday Schools



Magnier's School, HalifaxRef 18-791
Language school at 1 Harrison Road, Halifax, established by Alphonse Magnier

Magson's School, HalifaxRef 18-549
Around 1870, Mr Magson ran a private a private adventure school at Pellon Lane, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 105 pupils [1871]

Making Place AcademyRef 18-9
Aka Ripponden Commercial College.

The commercial academy was opened at Making Place on 25th January 1838 by Elizabeth and William Dove for 12 pupils. Mrs Dove attended to the domestic tasks at the school.

It became one of the country's most progressive commercial colleges.

In 1851, there were 80 pupils and around 30 staff – see Making Place Academy [Census 1851],

The staff included masters and professors in

  • Chemistry
  • Classics
  • Dancing – Leon Victor Julien
  • Drawing & Surveying
  • Drilling (exercise) 
  • English Grammar
  • English, Literature & Law
  • Geography
  • German
  • History
  • Mathematics
  • Practical Engineering & Mechanics
  • Riding
  • Singing
  • Preparing scholars for Oxford and other examinations

and a Chaplain.

At one time, there were 200 pupils – from all parts of the world – and a staff of 20.

It has been suggested that the school may have been involved with the introduction of Pitman's shorthand.

Pupils at the school have included

After Dove's death [1865], T. K. Holdsworth ran the school. However, the establishment declined and it closed in 1880.

The Master's House was demolished in 1951.

See Holly Royd, Soyland, Making Place Academy Advertisements, Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel, North Parade and The Commercial Monthly

Mallinson's School, OvendenRef 18-698
Around 1861, Miss Grace Mallinson ran a ladies' school at Ovenden Moor Side

Mally North's Chamber, RastrickRef 18-444
A schoolroom at Rastrick Common around 1810. It was used by members of Bridge End Chapel

The Maltings College, HalifaxRef 18-4510
A vocational-based college. Opened in September 2013, in the Maltings of the former Webster's Brewery

The Maltings Independent School, OvendenRef 18-639
For children up to 11 years of age. Opened in September 2008 in the converted Long Can Brewery

Mankinholes Wesleyan Sunday SchoolRef 18-75
The Sunday School for Mankinholes Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built by subscription in 1833

Manor House Academy, HartsheadRef 18-392
Hartshead Moor. Aka The Firth Academy. Private school established at the Manor House, Hartshead by Rev Benjamin Firth [around 1835].

Those educated here have included George Aspinall [1841]

Maria Louisa Jarry Ladies' SchoolRef 18-987
In 1861, Agnes Whitfield Ashworth was a visitor at Miss Jarry's Ladies' School at 19 Akeds Road, Halifax.

See Jarry's French School

Markham's Grammar School, Sowerby BridgeRef 18-706
In 1861, Robert Dallinger Markham ran an English Grammar School at Sowerby Bridge Town Hall

Markham's School, Sowerby BridgeRef 18-705
In 1861, Mrs Eliza Markham ran a ladies' day school at Bolton Brow, Sowerby Bridge

Mary Law's Charity SchoolRef 18-295
Rastrick. Aka Rastrick Free School.

In her will of 1701, Mary Law left property at Rastrick and an endowment for the education of 20 poor children of Rastrick and Brighouse to read and write. The children were chosen by the trustees.

See Samuel Fryer, Thomas Theodore Ormerod and Rastrick Grammar School Law's Endowed School, Rastrick

Mason's School, HalifaxRef 18-566
Around 1870, Mrs Mason ran a private adventure school at Allerton Street, Halifax.

It is recorded as an infants' school and could accommodate 28 pupils [1871]

McKay's SchoolRef 18-692
In 1861, Miss Jessie McKay ran a ladies' school at Spring Gardens, Warley

Mellin's Boarding School, HalifaxRef 18-247
Boarding School for young ladies established in 1788 by Hannah Mellin and her sister, Grace Mellin.

An advertisement for the business, dated 17th December 1788, announced

Miss & Miss Hannah Mellin, encouraged by the very liberal support they have hitherto met with, have taken the extensive Premises, situated near to the Town of Halifax, lately occupied my Messrs Winns, which they are now fitting up in a Stile particularly adapted for the Convenience of a Boarding School; and, as the greatest Care and Attention will be paid to the Health, Morals and Accomplishments of the young Ladies, they hope to receive the continued Patronage of the Public

The school was located at Blackwall and at Hipperholme.

Dorothy Wordsworth was educated at the school.

During her visits to Shibden Hall, the young Anne Lister had lessons with the Misses Mellin.

In November 1814, Grace Mellin, announced that the school would be conducted by Watkinson's School for Young Ladies, Halifax

Mellin's's: Miss Mellin's AcademyRef 18-912
Recorded in 1781, when Mr Martin taught languages here.

Question: Does anyone know how this reconciles with the Mellin's Boarding School, Halifax of 1788?


Mellor's School, RishworthRef 18-288
Established in the mid-19th century by Joseph Mellor at Lower Godley, Rishworth.

In 1850, he rented 2 cottages in Dyson Lane, one of which he used for a school

Methodist Sunday School, HeptonstallRef 18-605
The Sunday School for the Octagonal Methodist Chapel, Heptonstall was built in 1813. It could accommodate over 1,000 children, with 72 teachers, 4 superintendents, and 4 secretaries. The chapel at that time had over 400 members

Middle Dean Street Sunday SchoolRef 18-488
West Vale. The Sunday School for Middle Dean Street United Methodist Chapel. Built in 18??

Midgley Board SchoolRef 18-725
Lane Ends. Built in 1877. This superseded the day school which had been established at Midgley Co-operative Hall

Midgley Council SchoolRef 18-38
Opened in 1877.

The Pace Egg Play was revived here in the 1930s

Midgley's Grammar School, HalifaxRef 18-727
In the 16th century, an almshouse and grammar school were built near Halifax Parish Church under the will of John Midgley

Question: Can anyone tell me anything about the school?


Midgley Junior SchoolRef 18-607
Jim Allen Lane

Midgley National SchoolRef 18-343
A national school recorded in 1857

Mile Thorn Infants' SchoolRef 18-M1
(Possibly) the original name of Queens Road Board School

Mill Bank SchoolRef 18-647
Built in 1850. It accommodated 220 children.

Recorded in 1917

Mill Bank Sunday SchoolRef 18-974
Around 1865, the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel of 1817 was replaced by a new Chapel, and the earlier Chapel became the Sunday School.

In 1879, a new Sunday School was built and the old building was bought by Mr Hoyle and demolished to make way for outhouses at nearby Knowlesley Farm.

The land was later used for Mill Bank Wesleyan Methodist Graveyard

Mill Bank Wesleyan SchoolRef 18-764
Recorded in 1900

Milne's School, HalifaxRef 18-522
Around 1830, Samuel Milne ran a private school at 7 Arches Street, Halifax

Misdale's Dancing SchoolRef 18-508
Around 1830, Richard Misdale ran a dancing school in Halifax

Mitchell's School, HalifaxRef 18-749
Eleanor Mitchell ran a school at Crown Street, Halifax [1822]

Mixenden Board SchoolRef 18-53
A board school built in 1877. It was transferred from Ovenden School Board to Halifax in 1892. It accommodated 270 boys & girls and 168 infants [1917]

It accommodated 393 pupils [1911].

It accommodated 135 mixed & infants [1936]

Mixenden Community Primary SchoolRef 18-123
Opened in 1877 by Ovenden School Board.

After poor performances, there were plans to close the school in 2004.

In 2005, it merged with Ash Green School, Mixenden becoming Ash Green Community School, [now Ash Green Upper Site]

Mixenden Council SchoolRef 18-M542
Recorded 1904-1964.

See Major C. R. Carr and Mixenden Board School

Mixenden Evening SchoolRef 18-623
Recorded in 1905

Mixenden Sunday SchoolRef 18-477
Chapel Sunday School. Established in 1771. Along with Warley Sunday School, it was one of the first Sunday Schools in the district

Molly North's Sunday SchoolRef 18-410
An 18th century Sunday school was held at Molly North's house on Rastrick Common

Monitorial schoolRef 18-491
A school – such as the British Schools and National Schools of Joseph Lancaster and Andrew Bell – which used a system whereby a teacher controlled large numbers of pupils with the aid of a monitor, a brighter and older child

Moor End Sunday School, PellonRef 18-758
In 1769, a Sunday school was established at Moor End Congregational Church, with Benjamin Patchett as a voluntary teacher. This was probably the first Sunday school in the Halifax parish

The Sunday School Room was built in 1821, and enlarged in 1848

Moorhouse's Academy, Hebden BridgeRef 18-257
In 1861, John Moorhouse ran an academy in Hebden Bridge

Moorside Board SchoolRef 18-574
Opened in 1887. Ovenden. It was transferred from Ovenden School Board to Halifax in 1892.

It accommodated around 600 pupils [1894].

It accommodated 359 boys & girls and 266 infants [1911].

It accommodated 359 boys & girls and 265 infants [1917].

It accommodated 411 boys & girls and 148 infants [1936]

See Moorside Evening School, Moorside Infant & Nursery School, Moorside Junior & Infant School, Ovenden and Moorside Junior School

Moorside Evening SchoolRef 18-624
Recorded in 1905

Moorside Infant & Nursery SchoolRef 18-124

See Moorside Board School

Moorside Junior & Infant School, OvendenRef 18-867
See Moorside Board School

Moorside Junior SchoolRef 18-125

The General Baptists Lord's Day School met here

Moorside Ladies' SchoolRef 18-674
Around 1845, Mrs Langdon and Miss Wilson ran a ladies' boarding school at Moorside, Ovenden

Moravian Sunday School, WykeRef 18-613
The Sunday School for the Lower Wyke Moravian Church opened in 1881.

Morley's School, Cragg ValeRef 18-702
In the 1850s, John Morley ran a boys' school at Cragg Vale.

In 1851, John was a schoolmaster and his wife Mary was a schoolmistress

Moss's AcademyRef 18-M497
Aka J. H. Moss & Sons.

Family boarding school established in the 18th century at a house in Moss Lane, Hebden Bridge.

The academy gave its name to the lane.

In 1856, Calder House Academy is recorded here

Moss's Boarding SchoolRef 18-486
In 1829, the Misses MossJane Moss and her sister – ran a boarding school at their home, Field Head, Ovenden. Recorded in 1838 & 1845

Moss's: Joseph Moss's School, Hebden BridgeRef 18-812
Run by Joseph Moss at Hebble End, Heptonstall [1851] and son Edwin [1861].

Pupils & staff included

  • Grace Fielding (aged 13) [1851]
  • Eliza Ann Brewer (aged 12) [1851]
  • Mary E. Tiffany (aged 10) [1851]
  • John Chadwick (aged 13) [1851]
  • John Worrall (aged 12) [1851]
  • James Hardman (aged 11) [1851]
  • Samuel Atherton (aged 10) [1851]
  • John Smith (aged 12) [1851]
  • William Firth (aged 14) [1851]

  • Dan Sutcliffe [1850s]

  • Edwin Moss schoolmaster [1861]
  • Hannah Moss schoolmistress [1861]
  • Oscar Cockcroft assistant schoolmaster [1861]
  • Louis Hornile? (aged 15) [1861]
  • William H. Robertshaw (aged 15) [1861]
  • J. W. Thompson (aged 14) [1861]
  • William Ogden (aged 12) [1861]
  • Richard Taylor (aged 11) [1861]
  • Henry Taylor (aged 10) [1861]

Mount Pellon Junior & Infants' SchoolRef 18-M245
The school moved to the site of Ostler School, Halifax,

The school was refurbished in 1989.

It became Pellon & District Community Centre

See Mount Pellon Junior & Infants' School Baths and Battinson Road School

Mount Pellon National SchoolsRef 18-598
Built in 1858.

Mary Ann Gott contributed to the cost of the Schools.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • George Stokes [1881]
  • Miss Annie Brooke [1881]
  • Miss Eliza Wilkinson (infants) [1881]

It accommodated 350 children [1917].

Recorded in 1905 at Church Lane / Kitten Clough

Mount Pellon School, Battinson RoadRef 18-41
Aka Battinson Road School.

On 14th January 1901, the Halifax School Board invited tenders for a new school at £31,547.

The board school was built at a cost of £29,500 and opened on 17th August 1903. It accommodated 700 boys & girls and 300 infants.

It accommodated 700 boys & girls and 300 infants [1911].

It accommodated 522 boys & girls and 201 infants [1936].

Around 1952, the name changed to Ostler School, and then Mount Pellon Junior & Infants' School.

See Mount Pellon Junior & Infants' School Baths

Mount Pleasant School HalifaxRef 18-847
Recorded on 1st June 1834, when Rev James Pridie, and Rev Alexander Ewing preached
two very animated and impressive sermons

Mount Sion Sunday School, OgdenRef 18-419
The first Sunday School was built in 1816. The lower storey was a day school. The present building is dated 1887 and stands on the same site as the original school of 1816.

Closed in 19??.

The building stands next to Mount Zion Methodist Chapel, and is now Peat Pitts Farm

Mount Tabor Wesleyan SchoolRef 18-442
Sunday School was built next door to Mount Tabor Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in 1835. The datestone is inscribed

Train up a child in the way he should go

The foundation stone for a larger and more convenient Sunday School was laid in 1871.

See Mrs Hannah L. Batie and Mount Tabor Wesleyan School Memorial

Mount Zion Sunday School, OgdenRef 18-842
Founded at Mount Zion, Ogden by John Chambers [1784].

A new Sunday School was designed by James Farrar [1886]

Mount Zion Voluntary School, HipperholmeRef 18-275
The voluntary weekday school was held at Mount Zion Chapel, Lightcliffe from 1850.

It was succeeded by Lightcliffe British School

Mytholm Church School, Hebden BridgeRef 18-42
Colden Road. Aka Hebden Bridge National School, St James's Day School, Hebden Bridge, and St James's School, Hebden Bridge.

The need for a school was prompted by Rev George Sowden. It was built by subscription. The corner-stone was laid on 1st January 1870. The cost was £1,500. The school opened on 12th November 1870. It accommodated 320 children.

It was extended – another storey being added – in 1889 and again 1902/3 when electric lighting was added.

Recorded on 24th August 1907, when the death of John Longbottom was reported.

It became Hebden Royd Church of England School

Mytholmroyd Board SchoolRef 18-473
Burnley Road. Opened in 1879. It accommodated 276 children.

See Scout Road Board School, Mytholmroyd

Mytholmroyd Church of England SchoolRef 18-35
Scarbottom. Founded by William Sutcliffe [1850].

In 1851, 159 children – half of whom were half-timers – are recorded at the school

Mytholmroyd Council SchoolRef 18-592
Burnley Road. Recorded in 1905

Mytholmroyd Infants' SchoolRef 18-671
Recorded in 1845, when Miss Jessie Nightingale was teacher

Mytholmroyd Methodist Sunday SchoolRef 18-958
The Sunday School for Mytholmroyd Methodist Church

See Walker Waddington Mytholmroyd Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School War Memorial and Mytholmroyd Wesleyan Sunday School Cricket Club War Memorial

Mytholmroyd National SchoolRef 18-672
William Dewhirst was master here [before 1842].

Recorded in 1845, when it was also licensed for divine worship, and Rev William Baldwin was a clergyman here

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 09:22 / 30th March 2024 / 35937

Page Ref: S70_M

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind