Schools & Sunday Schools



Factory schoolRef 18-264
Following the Factory Act [1833] – which required that young workers receive 2 hours' schooling per day – many factories and mills provided schools for their young workers, such as Alderson's Factory School, Appleyard's Factory School, Calvert's Factory School, Copley Factory School, Haley Hill Shed Factory School, Rawson's Factory School, Smith's factory school and Sutcliffe & Brothers' factory school.

By 1851, there were 83 such schools in the country, and 28 in Yorkshire. Halifax had most and these were attended by 2112 children.

4 full-time inspectors were appointed to monitor the system.

See Continuation school

Farrar's Classical Academy, HalifaxRef 18-F319
Aka Park Place Academy.

Commercial, classical and mathematical day school, run by John Farrar at 2 Park Place, Halifax / Park House, Hopwood Lane.

Recorded in 1841 & 1883.

Pupils at the Academy included

Farrar's School, HalifaxRef 18-851
Recorded in the 1840s.

See Joseph Morton

Fawcett's Academy, MytholmroydRef 18-248
An academy for training Particular Baptist ministers. It was established about 1776 by Dr John Fawcett at Brearley Hall, Luddendenfoot. It was at Brearley Hall from 1776, at Ewood Hall from 1786, until it merged with the new Horton Academy in 1804.

Those who studied at Fawcett's establishments included Rev John Hindle, John Foster, the essayist, Sutcliffe of Olney, and Rev William Ward, the missionary.

In 1897, a copper plate – known as the Brearley Plate was dug up in Halifax Road. The plate bore an inscription referring to Fawcett's Academy

At Brearley Hall, in Midgley, near Halifax.

A very pleasant and healthy situation.

Youths are genteely boarded and trained up,
With diligence and fidelity,
And care in several branches
Of literature necessary for
Civil and active life
By J. Fawcett and Assistants.

Terms: Board and tutorage, if under 15 years of age, £15 per annum; If above, 16 guineas.

Entrance: half a guinea and a pair of sheets.

Washing: 5 shillings a quarter

See The School Boys' Resolution

Ferney Lee Open Air School, TodmordenRef 18-331
Recorded in 1920

Ferney Lee Primary SchoolRef 18-109

Formerly Todmorden Grammar School

Field's Academy, HalifaxRef 18-871
Aka Grove House Academy

Field's High School, LightcliffeRef 18-471
School Established by Miss Field in part of the former Hipperholme & Lightcliffe Liberal Club. Recorded in 1905 & 1914.

Miss Field was joined by Miss Price.

The school closed after World War I

Field Lane Junior & Infants' SchoolRef 18-110
Rastrick. Opened in October 1956

Fielden School of Art, TodmordenRef 18-F198
Burnley Road. Built by John Gibson in Centre Vale Park in 1872. The building was given to the town in 1898. It is now the Fielden Centre

Firth AcademyRef 18-391
Popular name for the Manor House Academy, Hartshead

Forest Bank Special School, OvendenRef 18-336
Recorded in 1968

Forth's School, HalifaxRef 18-683
In 1874, Miss Mary Forth ran a school at 92 Lister Lane, Halifax

Free Grammar School, StainlandRef 18-735
Recorded in December 1857, when Rev W. Gooch was head master

Free SchoolRef 18-510
See Barkisland Free School, Clifton Free School, Free Grammar School, Stainland, The Free School, Halifax, Free School Lane, Halifax, Halifax Free School, Northowram Free School, Rastrick Free School and Warley Free School for Girls

The Free School, HalifaxRef 18-493
Heath Grammar School, Halifax was known as the Halifax Free School and the Free Grammar School of Queen Elizabeth

Friendly Methodist Sunday SchoolRef 18-890
The Sunday School of Friendly Wesleyan Chapel is recorded in 1894 when an inscribed stone was brought here from the recently-closed Warley Grammar School

Friends Adult School, HalifaxRef 18-580
Recorded in 1905 at the Friends Meeting House and at Akroyd Place.

Thomas Collinson was for many years a teacher at the School.

See Adult School Movement

Frobisher's Music SchoolRef 18-506
Around 1835, Joseph Henry Frobisher ran a music school at 4 Ferguson Street, Halifax

Fryer's School, BrighouseRef 18-296
School or seminary established by Phoebe Fryer.

Recorded in 1861, when it was at St Martin's Terrace, Brighouse with Phoebe Fryer and teacher Louisa Murgatroyd [aged 34] from Oakbrook, Derbyshire.

An advertisement for the business in The Leeds Mercury of January 1864 announced


The MISSES FRYER receive a limited number of young ladies, to whom it is their endeavour to impart a sound education on Christian principles.

The Duties of the Establishment will be Resumed on Wednesday, the Twentieth January.

References to clergymen and others.

Prospectuses forwarded on application

By 1871, Phoebe had moved to Prospect Place, Brighouse and the School was listed as Prospect Place, School. Phoebe had been joined by her sister, Amelia, who was Head of School. Phoebe and Martha Hope [aged 27] were governesses.

In 1874, it is recorded as Friar's School, Brighouse at Prospect Place, Brighouse

© Malcolm Bull 2022
Revised 09:19 / 24th August 2022 / 13997

Page Ref: S70_F

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind