Bank Top, Southowram



Contents:

General Points

Bank Top is the area at the top of Southowram Bank on the southern ridge of Beacon Hill, to the east of, and overlooking, Halifax.

It is the main route from Halifax to Southowram village.

By 1893, much of the area which is now the main road from Southowram Bank on towards Higgin Lane was excavated and levelled to enable the trams to reach the terminus by the Cock & Bottle. This section of Route Number 7 was opened on 19th September 1901.

In 1932, plans were announced to build 32 houses at the junction of Marsh Lane, Southowram and Bank Top. The houses built for/by Mrs Ruth Hannah Sutcliffe, were to be stone-built in 8 blocks of 4 houses each.

Houses and Property at Bank Top

The occupants of the properties here have included

The Leeds Intelligencer [Saturday 2nd March 1844] advertised


To Capitalists – Important Landed Investments
The Manor or Lordship of Southowram.

Several Capital and other Messuage Tenements called or usually known as, or situate at or near LAW HILL, UPPER MARSH, BANK TOP, THE MARSH, BLAITHROYD, SWAN BANK, CADDY FIELDS, THE MANOR HOUSE INN, THE BEACON FIELDS and SOUTHOWRAM BANK BOTTOM.

Lithographic Plans have been prepared by Messrs. Lister & Ingle of Bradford.

L. & E. N. Alexander, Solicitors, Halifax

 

Beerhouses & Pubs in Bank Top, Southowram

Several beerhouses and public houses have been recorded in and around Bank Top, Southowram, including

Other features


See F. Broadley and Isaac Thwaite



© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 18:18 / 27th June 2021 / 12840

Page Ref: QQ_9915

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind