Southgate, Halifax

Southgate is one of the major streets in Halifax town centre. It runs from Corn Market to Ward's End.

It was originally South Field Gate – the road to the Southfield, the Suffelds-lane. It became Southgate around 1635.

It was widened between 1880-1910.

In June 1881, newspaper reports told of

Supposed Roman remains at Halifax – the construction of the New South Street from Old Cock Yard to Ward's End has disclosed what are believed to be Roman remains, which are held to be strong proof that Halifax was a Roman station. The remains consist of a length of earthenware pipe about 4 inch bore which ran in a line from Well Head to the upper side of the Old Cock Hotel. Local antiquaries hold the opinion that they are Roman

On 5th January 1920, ratepayers meeting turned down a proposal for trams to run on Southgate.

After a trial period starting 19th September 1972, the street was permanently pedestrianised in March 1973. It was officially inaugurated in September 1973 by Mayor Raymond Talbot

The occupants of the properties here have included

Beerhouses & Pubs in Southgate, Halifax

Several beerhouses and public houses have been recorded in and around Southgate, Halifax, including

See Chamberlain Precinct, Magistrates' Office, Halifax and Taylor's Yard, Halifax

© Malcolm Bull 2022
Revised 21:28 / 20th March 2022 / 19835

Page Ref: QQ_9910

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind