Low Moor Iron Company, Norwood Green

The Low Moor Iron Company at Norwood Green was established in 1788 by John Jarrat, John Preston, and Richard Hird and they were later joined by Charles Hardy and Joseph Dawson.

In 1824, they took over Shelf foundry.

From 1840, the company mined coal at Hartshead and transported this by the Clifton colliery railway to Brighouse canal basin. This continued until 1928 when the last pit closed.

By 1855, the Low Moor Iron Works was the largest producer of iron in Yorkshire.

The company mined coal and iron-stone until about 1880.

In 18??, they bought Royds Hall, Low Moor for the mineral rights. Royds Hall Dam was used by the company.

There was a fatal accident at the works on 1st June 1864.

In 1873, there was a fatal explosion at the Company's Flatt's Pit at Clifton.

In 1883, they had collieries at Beeston, Holbeck, Churwell, Osmondthorpe, Wyke, Scholes, Cleckheaton, North Bierley, Tong, Bowling, Norwood Green, Bradford and Peep Green.

The company was world-famous and manufactured some of the cannons which were used in the Crimean War and at the Battle of Waterloo.

Their iron was of a very high quality, and it was not uncommon for railways engineers to specify that Low Moor iron was to be used for engine wheels

See Frank Barraclough, Clifton: Coal Mining, Charles Hardy, John Hardy, Judy Woods: Coal Mining, Old White Beare, Norwood Green and Benjamin Walker

© Malcolm Bull 2022
Revised 17:48 / 5th May 2022 / 4084

Page Ref: MML1040

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind