The house for the headmaster of Heath Grammar School was built in 1830.
The house stands below and next to the school in Free School Lane.
Over the east door, is the original stone plaque recording the school's foundation.
In Favorem Reipvbl. Terra mala et sterilis dvmetis obsita, saxis Horrida, que nvllis inveta est frvgib' apta, Sed bona gens popvlvs sact', pietatis et ardens Religionis opvs tantu prodvxit, vt inde Terra bona et possit bona gens benedicier ecce Sic dni terra dominos non terra beavit. Elizabetha div vivat, qvae talia nobis Indvlsit monimeta. Devs sic svme secvdes Hoc opvs vt vigeat, perq' onia saecvla dvret. Sic nos Christe, tvo sic nostra dicam' honori. Jacta svnt Fvndam 8° Jvnii A° Dni 1598 Elizab. Reginae 40.
For the Favour of the Country. The land was bad and barren all, with thickets overgrown; Not fit for crops of any kind, but rough with horrid stone; Then people warm with piety, and holy in their thought. This greatest of religious works into existence brought. To make the land of greatest good and bless the people too: And so a blessing to the land, not to the owners grew; Long live Queen Elizabeth, who granted us such grace; And prosper Thou, God, this work, that it may never cease, But live in vigour through all time. So, Christ, with this intent, We give ourselves, we give our means, unto Thine honour bent. The Foundations were laid June 8th, a.d. 1598, In the fortieth year of Queen Elizabeth.
Favour here is a pun on the name of Dr John Favour, the founder of the school.
In 1958, the house became a 6th-form annexe.
In 1991, it was sold. It became Free School Lane, Surgery.
In June 2008, there were proposals to demolish the house and replace it with a purpose-built medical centre. In 2010, part of Savile Hall was adapted and became
Page Ref: MMH1076
|site search by freefind|