Bailiff Bridge ...

Entries beginning Bailiff Bridge ... and The Bailiff Bridge ... are gathered together in this Sidetrack.

Bailiff BridgeRef 509-5
District of Calderdale to the north of Brighouse at the junction of the Huddersfield to Bradford and the Halifax to Wakefield roads.

Also recorded as Bailiffe Bridge

Bailiff Bridge & Anti-VaccinationRef 509-2835
There were speeches and demonstrations against the vaccination acts in the district in April 1888.

In February, a Mr Dyson was fined 10/- plus costs for not having has child vaccinated. He refused to pay and sold his furniture, but money was raised by sympathisers to pay the fine

See Anti-Vaccination League

Bailiff Bridge & District Mutual Coal Supply Association LimitedRef 509-2199
Recorded in 1905

Bailiff Bridge BeckRef 509-3305
The continuation of Royds Hall Beck, Norwood Green and Wyke Beck which flows into Clifton Beck at Bailiff Bridge

Bailiff Bridge ClubRef 509-2167
Established for the working men of Bailiff Bridge. It was financed by Thomas Freeman Firth and Sir Algernon Firth and opened on 19th December 1908. William Aykroyd financed the construction of a bowling green

Bailiff Bridge FountainRef 509-1844

Bailiff Bridge Gas Company LimitedRef 509-2164
The company was formed in 185? to distributed gas supplied by the Brighouse Gas Company. Became a limited company in August 1875

This & associated entries use material which was kindly contributed by Alan Longbottom

Bailiff Bridge LibraryRef 509-438
Devon Way, Bailiff Bridge

Bailiff Bridge Police StationRef 509-2158
Chris Helme tells me that

There wasn't a police station at Bailiff Bridge.

Up the mid-19th century, the only police were the Parish Constable, but once the West Riding Constabulary was created, Brighouse had its own policeman and because of the previous importance of Hipperholme they to got one and from that day Hipperholme which included Lightcliffe and Bailiff Bridge had its own police section. There was a police house in Bailiff Bridge and they had their own local Bobby from then and I was the last.

In the 1950s, this was the 2nd house on the left as you leave Bailiff Bridge going towards Lightcliffe – just passed what is now Devon Way

This & associated entries use material which was kindly contributed by Chris Helme & Les Hoyle

Bailiff Bridge Post OfficeRef 509-2173
Opened in 18??.

See Brighouse Post Office

Bailiff Bridge Railway StationRef 509-1990
The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway station opened on 1st March 1881.

There was a direct service from here to London Marylebone.

On 11th November 1883, the passenger platform at the station was blown down during a disastrous storm, and an engine was thrown off the rails, blocking the line for several hours.

In 1903, the wife of Joseph Hoyle was injured alighting at the station.

The station closed for passenger traffic on 2nd April 1917.

On 25th April 1929, the building was badly damaged by fire.

See Oak Hill Bank Wood, Brighouse and Pickle Bridge Line

This & associated entries use material which was kindly contributed by David Nortcliffe

Bailiff Bridge Toll HouseRef 509-74
Tolls on the Bradford & Huddersfield Turnpike started in 1824. Bailiff Bridge Gate and Chains are mentioned in 1851.

The tolls were abolished in 1875.

The toll house was bought by Thomas Freeman Firth £for 70. It was demolished and Firth's extended their existing premises by building Clifton Mill on the site

This & associated entries use material which was kindly contributed by Chris Helme

Bailiff Bridge Working Men's ClubRef 509-60
Recorded in 1915.

See Bailiff Bridge Working Men's Institute

Bailiff Bridge Working Men's InstituteRef 509-41
Established in 1866 to provide elementary education for working men.

The Institute was at the cross roads at Bailiff Bridge.

The site was later occupied by Firth's Clifton Mill

Bailiff or Bailiffe?Ref 509-96
There seems to be no consensus over the spellings Bailiff or Bailiffe.

It is said that the final E was dropped by the West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Authority or by Brighouse Borough Council.

Some usages – including Bailiffe Bridge War Memorial and Bailiffe Bridge School - have the final E, whilst others do not.

Eugene Harvey was a fervent campaigner in favour of the errant E

Bailiffe Bridge Working Men's ClubRef 509-2510
Recorded in 1877, when they sent a letter of condolence to Lady Salt, widow of Sir Titus Salt who had supported the institute

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 16:12 / 2nd April 2024 / 10348

Page Ref: MMB41

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind