Mills & Mines

L



A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Lacy Mill, WalsdenRef 15-114
Aka Travis Holme Mill, Walsden

Ladyship Mills, HalifaxRef 15-930
Old Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

Ladyship Mills, HalifaxRef 15-L3620
King Cross. Baldwin & Walker produced their Ladyship Wools here.

There were proposals to redevelop the mill and part of the grounds into Ladyship Mills Business Park [2007].

The Mills were demolished.

A Tesco supermarket stands on a part of the site

Ladyship Mills, OvendenRef 15-L362
Mill Lane.

Designed by J. F. Walsh in 1891.

Owned by Standeven & Company Limited.

In October 2007, plans were announced to convert the site into a £1.3m business park

Lambert Dye Works, EllandRef 15-514

Lambert's Mill, RippondenRef 15-250
Bar Lane. Cotton-spinning and doubling mill built about 1800 by Fenton & Robert Lambert.

In 1855, John Whiteley built Stones Mill on the site


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Land Mill, BlackshawheadRef 15-86
Cotton mill built in 1805. The chimney can still be seen

Land Mill, ColdenRef 15-650
Upper Colden Valley mill built around 1796.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Land Mill, StansfieldRef 15-309


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Landemere Quarry, NorthowramRef 15-754


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Part of the quarry at Coley was sold off for waste disposal

Lane Head Quarry, BrighouseRef 15-653


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

See Waterloo, Brighouse

Lane Top Quarry, NorlandRef 15-733


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Lanebottom Mill, WalsdenRef 15-1039

Lanebottom Picker Works, WalsdenRef 15-1040

Lanehead Colliery, OvendenRef 15-1403
Swill Hill.

Thomas Bates & Thomas Charnock bought the Colliery [1770]

Laneside MillRef 15-L125
See Laneside House, Todmorden and Waterside Mill

Law Hill Quarry, SouthowramRef 15-1019
Twinge Lane.

This was a circular shaft sunk to mine the stone, much like the Rastrick stone mines.


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

It was no longer used [by the 1950s]. It was capped and sealed [1960s]

Law Hill Quarry, StansfieldRef 15-500
Recorded in 1874

Law Mill, CornholmeRef 15-1124
A name for Frieldhurst Mill, Cornholme when John Law was here [1837]

Law Quarry, SouthowramRef 15-654
Law Lane. Opposite Withinfields School.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

In the 1950s, Mackintosh's would send a truck each Wednesday to dump its load of reject confectionery to backfill the quarry.

The quarry was filled in [1960s].

A house and the doctors' surgery stand on the site

See Llewelyn Bowen

Law Street Works, CornholmeRef 15-758
Aka Cornholme Reed Works.

Owners and tenants have included

 

Leach Colour Works, BrighouseRef 15-149
Church Lane.

It was used by Leach Colour until 2005. There were plans to demolish the building and erect house on the site.

Larkfield Court housing development now stands on the site.

See Larkhill Academy

Leach Works, BrighouseRef 15-1424
Sunnybank Road:

4-storey brick building erected in 1???.

It was destroyed damaged by fire on 9th October 2006.

See Leach Colour Works, Brighouse

Leafland Street Mill, HalifaxRef 15-917


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Lee Bank Mills, OvendenRef 15-23
Stood between Old Lane and the railway line.

7-storey mill built for W. H. Rawson & Company in 1868.

Joint with Union Mills, Halifax.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

On 15th February 1868, a chimney fell causing damage and killing one man.

On 3rd June 1882, newspapers reported a fire which caused £10,000 damage.

On 15th February 1868, a chimney fell causing damage and killing one man.

15th December 1904 Thomas Savile Bowman [24] was caught in a hoist at the Mill and died a few weeks later

Rawson's Mill, Halifax: Lee Bank.

Owners and tenants have included

Lee Bottom Mill, WalsdenRef 15-310
Aka Newbridge Mill

Lee Bridge Mill, HalifaxRef 15-351
Comprised a large 6-storey mill, extensive 5-storey-high warehousing, and a large weaving shed.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

There were serious fires at the Mills

Lee Mill, Hebden BridgeRef 15-623
One of the Hebden valley mills

Lee Mill, HeptonstallRef 15-270
16th century fulling mill.

In 1832, the mill was rebuilt and fustian manufacturing began.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Lee Mill, TodmordenRef 15-313

Lee Mills, HalifaxRef 15-L421
Lee Bridge.

The mill was owned by John Crossley.

Worsted manufacturer Enoch Robinson had to move when Crossley needed the premises for his own expansion.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

On 4th October 1853, there was a disastrous fire at Lee Mills, Halifax.

See Thomas Campbell Davis

Leopold Wire Works, BrighouseRef 15-L414
Armytage Road / George Street.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The works were badly damaged by a fire in 1886

Leppington's Mill, BrookfootRef 15-275
Worsted mill owned by Samuel Leppington. The mill was attacked during the Plug Riots of August 1842

Lillands Quarry, RastrickRef 15-418


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Lilleshall Foundry, HalifaxRef 15-582
Albert Road.


Owners and tenants of the foundry have included

 

Lilley's Dye Works, EllandRef 15-473
Halifax Road. Stood at the north-west end of Elland Bridge.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

The works were demolished in the 1930s when the road was widened

Lilly Lane Mill, HalifaxRef 15-L120
A water-powered fulling mill was built at Lilly Lane around 1600.

The name is derived from Edward Lilley who occupied the mill at one point.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

There were two 6-storey mills. The newer mill was at the southern end of the site. The boiler and engine house stood between the old and the new mills, and 4 floors were built over the engine and boiler house, the centre mill.

On 29th November 1850, when the mills were occupied by Firth's, many workers were killed or injured when a boiler exploded – see Explosion at Lilly Lane Mill.

It was owned by the Marsden's on 11th November 1872, when several people were killed and others injured when one of the mill's dams burst.

In 1935, a workman was killed as a part of the mill was being demolished.

In 2001, the mill was destroyed by fire

Limed House Soft Bed Colliery, NorthowramRef 15-425
Recorded in 1854.

See Limed House, Northowram

Linden Mill, Hebden BridgeRef 15-261
Aka Hebden Works, Hebden Bridge.

Built for the manufacture of clothing.

The building is dated 1905.

Owners and tenants have included

In closed in 1983. In 1988, it was used by several small business units

Linden Works, HeptonstallRef 15-L423


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Lindley Moor PotteryRef 15-1310

Lineholme Mill, TodmordenRef 15-115
Owned by John Stansfield.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

It was demolished in 19??

Lineholme Steam Saw Mills & Joinery WorksRef 15-1125
Owners and tenants have included Thomas Greenwood [1897]

Lion Brewery, ShelfRef 15-L128
Bracken Lane. Established around 1850. The brewery was originally a farm house in the grounds of Low House, Queensbury.

All that remains of the brewery are walls and an arched gateway – known as The Lion Gate – which is surmounted by a lion, with two doorways at the side

Listerwick Colliery, ShibdenRef 15-L170
Colliery near to Pump on the Shibden estate.

In 1836, Anne Lister planned to build a reservoir to power a waterwheel for the colliery

Little Britain, RippondenRef 15-245
Aka Hanging Lee Mill, Ripponden.

There was (possibly) a school here, run by Thomas Lees and his wife, Rachel.

See Black Field House, Soyland

Little Hebble Mill, OvendenRef 15-L123
Aka Brook Mill Fulling Mills.

A late 18th century water-powered fulling mill. It was extended and converted to steam power in the 19th century.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Little John Mill, Clifton CommonRef 15-L161
2-storey woollen fulling, scribbling and carding mill built by John Clegg in 1785. It was erected on land known as Ganger Ing and leased for 84 years from 1786. It was popularly known as Clegg's Mill. It was driven by Clifton Beck.

Around 1808, Samuel Pollard used it as a corn mill. An extra storey was added.

In 1828, it was extended and used for wire drawing by Solomon & Frederick Pitchforth.

The mill was attacked during the Plug Riots of August 1842. A local man, John Baines, was sentenced to 6 months' imprisonment for stopping the water supply to the mill wheel.

Robert Newton and James Burrow began silk working here [1843], John Sutcliffe [18??], and James Dilley [189?].

See George Healey & Sons and Robin Hood Mill, Brighouse

Little Marsh Quarry, SouthowramRef 15-1339
Part of Little Marsh, Southowram.

Owners and tenants have included

Little Valley Brewery, Hebden BridgeRef 15-1049

Livingston Wire Mill, BrighouseRef 15-999
/ Livingstone Wire Mill. Bradford Road (east side).

Recorded in 1910 & 1934.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Livingstone Mills, HalifaxRef 15-L422
Queens Road / Adelaide Street.


Owners and tenants have included

 

Lob Mill Delph, TodmordenRef 15-1196
Recorded on 25th July 1850 in a memorandum between Miss Gibson of Greenwood Lee and William Dewham & Thomas Newton, railway contractors, joiners and builders of Todmorden, who contracted to take stone from the quarry at an annual rent of £10

Lob Mill Rope Works, LangfieldRef 15-14
Halifax Road. Stood next to Lob Mill.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

  • Jonas Clegg [around 1890]
  • James Mason [1905]
 

Lob Mill, TodmordenRef 15-317
A water-powered fulling mill is recorded here in 1557. A worsted mill built around 1790 by Christopher Rawdon.

James Hollinrake built the new Lob Mill [1790].


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The Halifax Guardian [Saturday 13th May 1843] announced


LOBB MILL, near Todmorden
TO BE LET BY TICKET

at Mr Blomley's Golden Lion Inn, Todmorden, on Friday the 17th day of May 1843.

All that Cotton Mill known as Lobb Mill with a Steam Engine of 12 horse power.

The rooms in the old part are 18 yards x 10 yards and in the new part 18 yards x 14 yards.

Parts of the mill are worked by a considerable fall of water from the River Calder and equal to 16 horse power.

To view apply: Mr Samuel Hollinrake, Spring Side, near the mill

 

The mill chimney was demolished in 1906. The mill was demolished in 19??. A small picnic site and car park mark the location.

See Lob Mill Rope Works, Todmorden

Lock Hill Mills, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-L364
Stood on the north bank of the Calder.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

In 3rd January 1880, a fire destroyed the mill which was occupied by Wood Brothers and John Woods & Son.

There was a fire here in 1995 and the mill was demolished

Lockhill Foundry, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-982


Owners and tenants of the foundry have included

 

Lockside Mill, TodmordenRef 15-1080
The mill has been converted into apartments

Long Close Quarry, BrighouseRef 15-785
Lightcliffe Road.


Owners and tenants of the quarry have included

 

Long Lea Mills, EllandRef 15-768
Halifax Road.


Owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Long Lee Iron Works, EllandRef 15-607
Stood alongside the Calder & Hebble Navigation

Long Wall Quarry, EllandRef 15-474
Stone quarry. There was a rock collapse here on 13th June 1867

Longbottom Fulling Mills, LuddendenfootRef 15-447
Tenterfields. Aka Whitworth's Mill.

It was built on the north bank of the Calder.

Recorded in 1738.

It was extended to become a 4-storey building with a weaving shop, drying houses and warehouses [1782].

Joseph Priestley was a merchant here [around 1800].

The cotton mill here burned down on 31st January 1804.

There was much damage to the building and machinery in floods on 16th November 1866 and on 23rd December 1880.

On 17th January 1907, William Sunderland was killed whilst working at the mill.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the works have included

 

On Sunday 21st November 1915, fire damaged the Mills.

The Mill was later redeveloped as Tenterfields Business Park.

See Longbottom Bridge, Luddendenfoot

Longbottom Mill, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-L363
Wharf Street. Built in the late 18th century. It is said to be one of the earliest – if not the first – fully-integrated woollen mills in the world

Longfield Foundry, HalifaxRef 15-1188
Parkinson Lane.

Owners and tenants have included

Longfield Works, Holywell GreenRef 15-723


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Longroyde Quarry, RastrickRef 15-897
Aka Longroyds Quarry.

There were 2 quarries – some 60 yards apart – known as No. 1 and No. 2, worked by the same firm and with an underground passage between the two.

Owners and tenants have included

In May 1885. miner Henry Knapton was killed in a roof fall

Low Moor Iron WorksRef 15-1433

Low Moor Mill, TodmordenRef 15-384
Aka Shade Mill, Todmorden

Low Underbank Mill, TodmordenRef 15-274
Former name of Jumble Hole Mill, Todmorden. It was used as a dye works

Lower Brear BreweryRef 15-L803
Established by the partnership of James Alderson and James Shepherd

Lower Dyson Lane Mill, RishworthRef 15-241
The name Lower distinguished it from Dyson Lane Mill.


Question: I suspect that I have confused some details of this and Dyson Lane Mill. Please email me if you can suggest any corrections to the details in either of the 2 entries

 

Originally a fulling mill [1672].

A cotton spinning facility was added in 1822. This was powered by 2 waterwheels, each 21 ft in diameter.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was owned by the trustees of Wheelwright's Charities.

See Slitheroe Mill, Rishworth

Lower Edge Quarries, RastrickRef 15-805
Established in 18??.

The work here is [2008] primarily that of producing crushed and reconstituted stone from the old spoil heaps


Owners and tenants of the quarries have included

 

On 29th March 1893, William Jackson sustained injuries from which he later died

Lower Ellistones Mill, GreetlandRef 15-L391
Late 18th century woollen / shoddy mill. It is now derelict

Lower Jack Royd Mill, OvendenRef 15-24
/ Wheatley. Hebble Lane.

It was used as a wire mill at some point.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Lower Laithe Mill, StansfieldRef 15-1085
The mill at Lower Laithe, Stansfield was operated by William Thompson [1861] and William Sutcliffe [1869].

A new warehouse was added in 1869

Lower Lumb Mill, ColdenRef 15-722
Aka Low Lumb Mill. Built 1805.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

The mill was on English Heritage's Buildings At Risk Register, but was removed [2009] after repairs had been carried out.

See High Lumb Mill and Lumb Mills, Heptonstall

Lower Lumb Mill, Mill BankRef 15-486
Cotton mill at Lumb Bridge.

Owners and tenants have included

The mill burned down on 15th October 1864 when was occupied by Heal, Booth & Company

Lower Mill, BrighouseRef 15-L283
A mill is recorded on the north bank of the Calder in 1300, established by the Lord of the Manor. The corn and fulling mills were leased.

Lower and Upper Mill were attacked during the Plug Riots of 1842.

The mill was demolished in May 1887

Lower Mill, MidgeholeRef 15-1367
Textile mill.

Demolished [19??]

Lower Mill, WainstallsRef 15-1309
An early [1820s] name for New Mill, Wainstalls

Lower Shaw Mill, HalifaxRef 15-981


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Lower Soyland Mill, SoylandRef 15-54

Lower Stoneswood MillRef 15-336

Lower Swift Place Mill, SoylandRef 15-886
One of the Swift Place Mills.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Lower White Lee WorksRef 15-438
At Lower White Lee, Mytholmroyd. The early 19th century barn is now part of an engineering works

Lower Willow Hall Mills, Sowerby BridgeRef 15-36
There was a mill here which was used for fulling and cotton spinning.

A new cotton mill was built in 1783 at Lower Willow Hall, Sowerby Bridge by Edmund Lodge. It was built of brick and known as the Brick factory. This may have been the first cotton-spinning mill in the district.

A new stone mill was built in 1798 by the Lees family. John Edwards joined their business.

After Edmund Lodge's death in 1799, his sons, Thomas and Henry, carried on cotton spinning until 1810 when they leased out the 2 mills.

There was a fire at the mill in December 1930.


Subsequent owners and tenants have included

 

See Thomas Henry Longbottom

Lower Wormald Mill, RippondenRef 15-411
Aka Bogden Mill, Rishworth

Luddenden Clothing Factory, HalifaxRef 15-147

Luddenden Corn MillRef 15-1363
The manorial corn mill was recorded at Warley in 1274.

In 1663, it was rebuilt by Jane & Henry Murgatroyd.

It is dated 1633 / M H I

Luddenden MillsRef 15-388
A corn mill is mentioned in 1274. There were 2 mills – the lower mill and the upper mill – powered by Luddenden Brook.

The Murgatroyd family owned the mill from the 1300s until it was sold by Hartley and John Murgatroyd in 1854.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

See Cold Edge Dam Company

Luddendenfoot Joint Sewage WorksRef 15-829
Recorded in 1905 at High Royd, off Burnley Road

Luddendenfoot MillRef 15-119
Burnley Road. Formerly known as Foxcroft's Mill. Around 1850, it was known as Delph Mill.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Latterly, the mill was owned by British Furtex Fabrics Limited.

The mill was demolished in 2004.

A housing estate was built on the site.

See Cold Edge Dam Company, Danny Lane Mill and Luddendenfoot Industrial Co-operative Society

Lumb Brook Mills, ColeyRef 15-752
Westercroft Lane.

Aka Lum Brook Mills, Coley, Lum Brook Mills, Hipperholme, Lumb Brook Mills, Hipperholme, Lumb Brook Mills, Northowram, and Lumbrook Mills, Northowram.

Built by Henry Charles McCrea in 1850.


Subsequent owners and tenants of the mills have included

 

Lumb Mill, Mill BankRef 15-L281
Aka Upper Lumb Mill

Lumb Mill, TodmordenRef 15-319

Lumb Mill, WainstallsRef 15-L124
Lumb Lane.

Water-powered cotton mill built around 1803 when it was described as

all that new erection used as a cotton mill in Clough Field, at Stones, Warley

It was extended and converted to production of worsted in 1828. It was a 3-storey, stone building.

In 1833, the original waterwheel was replaced by a 36 ft diameter cast-iron overshot wheel. This was used until electric power was introduced in 1953. The wheel is currently [2012] being restored by the owner.

The mill generated its own electricity.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Calvert's used the Mill for winding, spinning, and twisting.

It closed in 1939 on account of the state of the trade, but was revived in 1947 when electricity supplies became uncertain.

The mill was on English Heritage's Buildings At Risk Register, but was removed [2009] after repairs had been carried out.

See Richard Airton, Samuel Cockroft, Cold Edge Dam Company, Lumb Cottage, Wainstalls and Lumb Terrace, Wainstalls

Lumb Mill, WarleyRef 15-875
Cotton mill built around 1803 by John Garforth. Around 1828, it was converted to worsted production.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

Lumb Mills, HeptonstallRef 15-504
Comprised Low Lumb Mill and High Lumb Mill, Colden/Heptonstall. Built in 1800 by Gamaliel Sutcliffe. In 1802, he built a road – which became known as Gamaliel Lane – to the mills from Mytholm.

See Noah Dale Dam, Colden

Lumb Mills, SowerbyRef 15-624
Their were 2 mills here: Lower Lumb Mill and Upper Lumb Mill

Lumbutts Mill, TodmordenRef 15-L987
Until 1783, this mill was a corn mill owned by John Crossley of Scaitcliffe Hall.

In 1783, Samuel Law and his brother Robert – together with Thomas Hughes and his brother-in-law Abraham Crossley – leased the Mill from Crossley with an agreement to convert the mill over to cotton spinning.

In 1784, Robert Law and Thomas Hughes sold their shares in the partnership to Samuel Fielden and manufacturer John Tattersall of Lumbutts Mill.

In 1794, the partnership sold out to Joshua Fielden of Waterside.

The later cotton mill owned by the Fielden family was designed by William Fairbairn around 1830 – see Samuel Fielden. After Samuel's death, the mill passed to his younger brother Joshua, and it remained in the family thereafter.

The Fieldens extended the mill and built the waterwheel tower.

The tower housed (at first) two and then – around 1846 – a unique sequence of three overshot water wheels, one above the other – each 6 ft wide and 30½ ft in diameter – which powered the mill. The water fell 90 ft and the wheels generated about 54 horse-power. 4 dams – including Gaddings Dam - were built to supply water power to the mill. The adjacent chimney is 98 ft high and there is a spiral staircase inside. The tower is a listed building.

An overhead ropeway was built to connect this mill to nearby Jumb Mill to transfer materials from one to the other.

Lumbutts House was the manager's house.

In 1838, the men at the mill were arrested after the Mankinholes riots. The mill finally closed in 1926.

See Jumb Mill, Lumbutts and Samuel Law

Lydgate Brewery, TodmordenRef 15-1321
Owners and tenants have included

Lydgate Mill, TodmordenRef 15-87
Aka Low Mill. Built in 1804. It was a 4-storey mill, measuring 30 ft by 72 ft. 10 cottages occupied part of the ground floor.


Owners and tenants of the mill have included

 

On 12th July 1851, John Judson died after by falling from the steps at the mill.

Demolished in 1???

Lydgate Mineral Water Works, TodmordenRef 15-709
Brewery Street, Lydgate.


Owners and tenants of the works have included

 

Lydgate Top Mill, TodmordenRef 15-321



© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 17:47 / 20th June 2021 / 70926

Page Ref: M408_L

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind