Warley Grammar School stood on Burnley Road, Sowerby Bridge.
It was founded in 1786 by a trust established by James Crossley, Joseph Charles Gautier, John Lea, Samuel Milne and Isaac Ogden that the school
for and at all time for ever be used and enjoyed for the better instruction of children from time to time residing within the township of Warley
There were male and female scholars and a limited number of free places.
The school was built on land bought from William Alexander for £70.
It was originally called Spring Garden School, after the name of part of the land on which it was built.
The cost of the school was £304 6/8d, plus £1 16/6d for the bell. Subscriptions included
A stone over a doorway was inscribed
Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it
The stone was moved to Friendly Methodist Sunday School
|Pupils at the School|
The boys' school was at the Luddendenfoot end, the girls' school at the other end.
Pupils at the school have included
|Masters at the School|
The master was charged an annual rent, and he made his money from the scholars' fees.
Masters of the school have included
The school began to fail.
After the headship of John Longbottom, the school closed  and was sold.
Around 1910, part of the building became a branch of the Luddendenfoot Co-operative Society.
See Rev Thomas Sutcliffe, Edward Wainhouse and Warley Exhibition Foundation
Revised 09:36 /28th February 2021 / 9003
Page Ref: KK_38
|site search by freefind|