The Halifax Borough Market is a covered market hall.
It was designed in the French Renaissance style by John & Joseph Leeming and erected on the site of the earlier New Market.
Work on the Borough Market began in 1891, the foundation stone was laid in 1892. There were to be 43 butchers, 21 shops, and 33 stalls in the main hall, with 21 houses above. The houses – 10 on Market Street Balcony overlooking Market Street, 10 on Southgate Balcony overlooking Southgate, and 1 larger market manager's house in Albion Street – are still in existence. The 20 smaller houses are awaiting refurbishment .
The Albany Arcade Fish Market was originally inside the building at the southern end. This had 16 lockup shops inside the Market, and 6 outside.
The hall measures 200 ft by 170 ft. The central octagon is at a height of 60 ft and is supported by 8 cast-iron columns.
A large clock stands above the market stall at the centre of the building. The dome was erected in August 1895. The Market was opened on 25th July, 1896 by the Duke and Duchess of York – during the same visit that they opened Royal Halifax Infirmary.
The cost of building was £112,000 – rather than the original estimate of £34,000.
There were 4 pubs built into the Market:
Russell Arcade continues one of the main avenues of the Market across Russell Street
See Markets, Greyhound, Halifax and Halifax Market
Page Ref: KK_203
|site search by freefind|