The Halifax Working Men's Co-operative & Provident Society was a successor to the Halifax Co-operative Trading Society of 1849.
The Society was established in September 1850 at a small house in Back Foundry Street, Halifax, the home of Richard Horsfall. Founder members included John Culpan and Benjamin Wilson.
It had 50 members who – after their day's work – took turns serving at the society's premises, selling groceries to each other on co-operative principles.
The first officers were
In 1851, they moved to premises in Cow Green, Halifax.
In 1855, after the treasurer had misappropriated £81, there was a grave emergency, and the society's board-room was stormed by 60 members – out of a total membership of 361 – demanding return of the shares and the money they had invested. This caused distrust amongst the members and led to the Society being split up.
In 1861, the Society changed its name to the Halifax Industrial Society
Page Ref: KK_191
|site search by freefind|