Churches & Chapels



Dark Lane Methodist Chapel, SouthowramRef 5-920
Church Lane / Dark Lane, Southowram.

Recorded in the 1850s.

It was a 2-storey building with the main entrance on the upper level in Cain Lane / Church Lane, and the back entrance in Dark Lane.

In maps of the 1850s, a Methodist Chapel Slead House is also shown opposite the Chapel in Dark Lane.

Question: Does anyone know anything more about the place?


Deanhead Methodist ChapelRef 5-171
See Bottomley & Deanhead Chapel and Rev William Younger

Delf Hill Chapel, SouthowramRef 5-490
Bank Top.

In the census of 1881, this is listed in the area around the top of Trooper Lane, between the entries for Prospect Terrace and Battinson Street

Question: Can anyone add any details about the chapel? Could it be associated with the nearby Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel?


This & associated entries use material contributed by Jeffrey Knowles

Denholme Catholic Church, LuddendenfootRef 5-761

Denholme Clough Primitive Methodist ChurchRef 5-343
Recorded in 1870 & 1915

Denholme United Methodist Chapel, LuddendenfootRef 5-104
Aka Lower Denholme Methodist Chapel. Burnley Road.

Opened in 1832.

This was the only place of worship in the area until the Whitworth brothers built Luddendenfoot Congregational Church.

They had a school for child mill workers in the basement. Around 1879, they built Denholme United Methodist School.

The Chapel and School closed in 1965. The war memorial was moved to the Civic Centre.

The Chapel was demolished in 1973.

The abandoned Denholme United Methodist Chapel Graveyard is still accessible.

See Luddendenfoot Free Church Friendly Society

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Greaves

Denholme United Methodist Graveyard, LuddendenfootRef 5-622
The graveyard for Denholme United Methodist Chapel

The graveyard is still accessible.

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Diocesan Church Army VanRef 5-465
In October 1899, the Wakefield Number 2 Diocesan Church Army Van was dedicated by the Bishop of Wakefield in the churchyard of Halifax Parish Church. It was to serve the Charlestown Parish. It was one of 65 similar vans in operation around the country

This & associated entries use material contributed by Alan Longbottom

Diocese Of HalifaxRef 5-314

Diocese of RiponRef 5-D404
Halifax fell within the Diocese of Ripon until 1888 when it became a part of the Diocese of Wakefield

Diocese of WakefieldRef 5-308
The churches in the district fall within the Diocese of Wakefield.

See Diocese of Ripon, Diocese of West Yorkshire & the Dales, Diocese of Halifax and Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Diocese of West Yorkshire & the DalesRef 5-780
In July 2013, the General Synod approved a scheme to dissolve the three existing dioceses of Bradford, Ripon & Leeds and Wakefield and replace them with a single new diocese of Leeds, with a working name of West Yorkshire and the Dales.

There will be a new bishop, the Bishop of Leeds, with two new suffragan, or area, bishops, of Bradford and Huddersfield.

The three existing cathedrals of Bradford, Ripon and Wakefield will remain cathedrals, with Leeds Parish Church, known as Leeds Minster, becoming a pro-cathedral

Dog Lane ChapelRef 5-126

Doghouse Wesleyan Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-D74
Doghouse Lane. Methodist chapel established in 1784. John Wesley preached here. It closed in 1827. It was superseded by York Street Chapel.

It was converted into housing.

See Samuel Fielden

Dove Chapel, Hebden BridgeRef 5-D54
In the 1830s, a group of 11 Baptists were ejected from Wainsgate Chapel because of the way in which they interpreted the scriptures. They first joined a group of Rochdale Baptists, and a house in Foster Lane, Hebden Bridge was modified and used as a chapel from around 1834. It formally became a place of worship in 1839, and was used until Good Friday 1882 when it was superseded by the Zion Chapel

Duke of Wellington's ChapelRef 5-652
The Chapel is in the south-east corner of the Chancel of Halifax Parish Church.

The Chapel was dedicated in 1951, and houses some of the colours of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment. These include those of the 33rd Duke of Wellington's Own Regiment [1854-1878] which were carried at the Battles of Alma, Inkerman, at the siege and capture of Sebastopol, and during the Abyssinian Campaign [1868].

The chairs are by Robert Thompson and his trademark mouse can be found on the legs of each chair. The silver ornaments are made from Regimental trophies.

There are memorials to men of the Regiments.

3 of the Commonwealth Windows are here

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 12:21 / 7th June 2024 / 12368

Page Ref: C109_D

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind