Churches & Chapels



Bacup Municipal CemeteryRef 5-860
The Cemetery lies outside Calderdale, but, being only 6 miles from Todmorden, it is/was used by many local people.

The following people, and/or members of their family, are recorded here:

  • To be completed

Bank Top Methodist Church, SouthowramRef 5-851

Bankfield CemeteryRef 5-528
There several names recorded for the burial grounds in Boothtown:

Question: I am more than a little confused by these several burial places.

Please email me if you can help determine how many burial grounds there are, and which of these are alternative names for the same place


Bankfield ChapelRef 5-873
There is a small chapel for the Akroyd family in Bankfield

Baptist Burial Ground, Haley HillRef 5-928
In his Report of 1850, William Ranger mentioned the health nuisances presented by the Burial Ground of General Baptist Church, Haley Hill to the densely-populated district.

The gravedigger J. Best was one of Ranger's informants

Barkerite Chapel, Rastrick CommonRef 5-392
Rev William Trotter preached here. It is recorded that the chapel was


This & associated entries use material contributed by David Nortcliffe

Barkisland ChurchRef 5-B311

Barkisland Parish ofRef 5-B2285
Formed from Halifax on 2nd March 1858.

See Barkisland Parish Church and Barkisland Church

Barkisland VicarageRef 5-842
The vicarage for Christ Church, Barkisland. 19th century Gothic building

Barkisland with Scammonden Parish ChurchRef 5-32

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Barkisland Church and St Bartholomew's Church, Dean Head

Beestonley Lane Chapel, StainlandRef 5-467
The original name of Stainland Providence Chapel

Beeton Mission Room, TodmordenRef 5-499
Associated with St Paul's Church, Cross Stone [1888]

Bell Chapel, ThorntonRef 5-B35
Aka the Old Church of St James.

Built between 1587 and 1612.

A Vestry was added in 1793.

Rev Patrick Brontë exchanged his living at Hartshead with that of Rev Thomas Atkinson of the Bell Chapel, Thornton.

Only the cupola and the derelict walls remain.

The Chapel was replaced by St James's Church.

The font from the old Chapel – where the Brontë children were baptised – was moved to the new Church. Their certificates of baptism are also held in the new Church.

The Vestry was vandalised in 2022 (?) 

Bell Metal Chapel, HipperholmeRef 5-B285
Another name for Bramley Lane Church

Bent Head Chapel, StansfieldRef 5-218
It later became Chapel House, Stansfield

The Chapel is discussed in the book Valley of a Hundred Chapels

BethelRef 5-4290
A Hebrew word meaning house of God

Bethel Baptist Chapel, NorlandRef 5-98
Spark House Lane.

Established on 25th March 1864, by a group of 10 members led by John Jowett. Other pioneers of the movement included William Jowett, Thomas Shaw, Greenwood Standeven, Joseph Barker, James Mitchell, and Jonas Standeven.

For a time, they held their services in rooms in Norland, but, as numbers grew, the services were held outdoors.

Stephen Fawcett helped generously with the building of a new Chapel.

The Chapel opened in 1865.

For a time [1886-1887], they united with Sowerby Bridge Baptist Chapel and Rev H. Hughes was Pastor.

At other times, the Chapel had lay preachers, including Philip E. Jones.

The school was altered in 1897.

The Chapel was renovated in 1904.

The building was affected by dry rot and closed with the last service being held on 29th December 1958.

It is now a private house.

There was no graveyard at the Chapel

This & associated entries use material contributed by Roger Beasley, David Nortcliffe, David Smith & Dick Spendlove

Bethel Baptist Church, LineholmeRef 5-253

Bethel Chapel, BouldercloughRef 5-307
A Chapel – known as Clough 'Oile Chapel, Bethel or the Ranters' Chapel - was built by the Primitive Methodists in 1822-23.

Founder members included Mr and Mrs David Pickles.

It was subsequently taken over by the New Connexion Methodists – see John Whiteley.

In 1882, a new Boulderclough Methodist Chapel was erected by the congregation at a cost of £900.

A plaque from the original Chapel inscribed

Bethel 1822
Methodist New Connexion Chapel
is still retained

Bethel Chapel, BrighouseRef 5-777
22 Bethel Street.

There was a chapel on Brighouse Park here from 1795 – see Park Chapel and Park Street – on land purchased from the estate of Thomas Gill.

Around 1799, when the Methodists split, the Wesleyans moved to Ivy House Farm, Hove Edge.

In 1811, following a decision by the Court of Chancery, which ruled that their Conference was the rightful owner, the Wesleyans moved back from Ivy House Farm to Park Chapel, and the New Connexion held services in a blacksmith's shop until the Bethel Chapel was built and opened in 1811.

From 1811 until 1904, Number 22 Bethel Street was the site of the Bethel Methodist New Connexion Chapel after they had left the Park Methodist Chapel.

The old chapel was sold in 1904 to be used as commercial premises.

In 1907, the congregation moved to the new Central Methodist Chapel.

It accommodated around 400 worshippers [1845].

In June 1852, it was registered for the solemnisation of marriages.

The chapel was extended and a second storey was added in 1858

The last sermon was preached on 5th July 1876.

The chapel was demolished in 1876.

A new chapel opened in 1878.

By the end of the 19th century, larger premises were needed. Although it was closed for public worship on 5th June 1904, the New Connexion continued to use the chapel until 1907, when they moved to the Central Methodist Chapel, Rydal Mount.

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

A memorial there was carved by Harry Percy Jackson and is now stored at Brighouse Central Methodist Chapel.

The Bethel Street building is now commercial premises.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Bethel Chapel, Memorial, Ebenezer Methodist Chapel, Bailiff Bridge, Henry Healey, Thornhill Briggs Methodist Chapel and John Henry Turner

Bethel Independent Methodist Chapel, ShelfRef 5-68
Carr House Road.

Members of the Bottomley family were founder members of the Chapel after they had a disagreement with Wade House Chapel.

The Chapel was built in 139 days.

It opened in September 1853 as a Wesleyan Reform chapel.

There is a plaque dated 1853.

Ministers at the Chapel have included

  • Rev Devine
  • Rev Barley
  • Rev Isaac Ambler [1873]
  • Rev J. Stafford
  • Rev J. Carr
  • Rev R. Collinson – see Stone Chair Tabernacle
  • Rev J. S Mitchell [until 1882]


In 1873, it joined the United Methodist Free Church.

From 1882, there was no permanent minister, and the preacher was drawn from local Nonconformist chapels.

In 1886, Carr House School was bought for use as a Sunday school, borrowing money from the Methodist Connexion. The money was paid back, but due to misunderstandings, Bethel never joined the Methodist Circuit and has remained independent for all its 150 years. In the mid 1990s, the Chapel was altered to incorporate the Sunday school.

See Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf Graveyard, Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf War Memorials, Joseph Hobson Jagger and Shelf United Methodist Church Memorial

This & associated entries use material contributed by Ben Stables

Bethel Independent Methodist Graveyard, ShelfRef 5-580
The graveyard of Bethel Independent Methodist Chapel, Shelf.

Bethel Methodist New Connexion Chapel, HolmfieldRef 5-1
Shay Lane. Built in 1859 for those Methodists who had left Nursery Lane Chapel. It was a daughter of Salem Methodist New Connexion Chapel, North Parade.

A Sunday school – designed by Horsfall's – was begun in July 1907 and opened in 1908.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Bethel New Connexion Band

Bethel Methodist New Connexion Church, BrighouseRef 5-217
See Central Methodist Chapel, Rydal Mount

Bethel Methodist New Connexion Church, OutlaneRef 5-403
Built in 1832.

It accommodated around 200 worshippers [1845].

The foundation stone for Outlane Methodist New Connexion Church was laid on 20th May 1893 by

  • Mrs Ainley
  • Mrs E. Beaumont
  • Mrs A. H. Marsh
  • Alderman J. Hepworth JP (Leeds) 

The Chapel was demolished after 1952.

The graveyard remains

This & associated entries use material contributed by Derrick Habergham

Bethel Methodist New Connexion Graveyard, OutlaneRef 5-913
Bethel Methodist New Connexion Church, Outlane was demolished [1950s], but the graveyard still remains

The following people, and/or members of their family, are recorded here:


This & associated entries use material contributed by Derrick Habergham

Bethel Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-425
Burnley Road. Recorded in 1905

Bethel United Methodist Church, BrighouseRef 5-453

See Bethel Chapel, Brighouse and Central Methodist Chapel, Brighouse

Bethel United Methodist Church, OvendenRef 5-329
Shay Lane.

Recorded [1883-1985].

In 1907, the sod cutting ceremony took place the new Sunday School.

Ministers at the Church have included


The Church was demolished in 198?. A car showroom now stands on the site

BethesdaRef 5-783
A Hebrew word meaning house of Grace and was originally used to refer to the Pool of Bethesda, Jerusalem

Bethesda Methodist Chapel, EllandRef 5-B275
Victoria Road. Aka Top o' th' Street Chapel, Top o' th' Lane Chapel.

See Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland War Memorial, Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland Graveyard, Love Feasts, Sowood Wesleyan Methodist Church Memorial and Mrs Hetty Sykes

This & associated entries use material contributed by Maureen V. Farmery, Andrew Teal & John Williams

Bethesda Methodist Graveyard, EllandRef 5-598
The graveyard for Bethesda Methodist Chapel, Elland

Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel, SouthowramRef 5-143
Aka Bank Top Methodist Church, Southowram.

The Chapel opened in 1857.

See Centenary Handbook, Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel Graveyard, Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel New Graveyard, Bethesda Primitive Methodist School, Southowram, Laurence Coates, Delf Hill Chapel, Southowram and James Mann

This & associated entries use material contributed by Graeme Haigh, Elaine Hodkinson & Angela Westwood

Bethesda Primitive Methodist Graveyard, Bank TopRef 5-582
The graveyard of Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bank Top.

The Chapel was approached by steps between high walls – although there was access to the graveyard via the gate in Trooper Lane.

Until 1900, the wall surrounding the graveyard was 18 ins high, and the land rose in a steep slope to the level of the burial ground. The local authority built a retaining wall which was 15 ft high. This was found to be unsafe, and was replaced by a new wall some years later.

At 10:45 pm on 30th May 1947, the retaining wall of the graveyard collapsed – exposing the coffins and corpses. The catastrophe required 28 re-burials. The work had to be done at night.

The concrete replacement wall was still to be seen [until 2003].

There was another small graveyard across the road at the top of Marsh Lane, next to Bolton Lodge which was opened in 1922.

A licence for the exhumation and clearance of the graveyard was issued in late 1993.

In September 2003, the graveyard was cleared and housing was built on the site.

See Alice Barker Trust

This & associated entries use material contributed by Elaine Hodkinson

Bethesda Primitive Methodist New Graveyard, Bank TopRef 5-677
Marsh Lane, Southowram.

In 1921, a piece of land was bought for a new graveyard – an extension to the Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel Graveyard.

This was created next to Bolton Lodge.

It was planned to hold 1,000 graves and came into use in 1922

It is not clear who was buried in the old and the new graveyards. A list of some graves can be found in the page for the old Bethesda Primitive Methodist Chapel Graveyard.

See Alice Barker Trust

This & associated entries use material contributed by Elaine Hodkinson

Bethlehem Pentecostal Mission Church, Wheatley RoadRef 5-99
Aka Wheatley Pentecostal Church.

Ministers at the Church have included


Birchcliffe Baptist Church, Hebden BridgeRef 5-B69
Birchcliffe Road.

See Birchcliffe Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge Memorial, Birchcliffe Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge Graveyard, Birchcliffe Baptist Sunday School, Hebden Bridge, Birchcliffe water, Hebden Bridge, Elton Thomas and Upper Needless, Hebden Bridge

Birchcliffe Baptist Graveyard, Hebden BridgeRef 5-601
The graveyard of Birchcliffe Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge

This & associated entries use material contributed by Ollie Robertshaw

Birds Royd Lane Wesleyan Mission Chapel, RastrickRef 5-233
The Chapel opened in 1897 at Mission Street, Rastrick as a chapel of ease for the former St Paul's Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Brighouse.

It was built to serve the growing population in Birds Royd district.

After a short period of time, the building was deemed to be inadequate. On 4th June 1904, the foundation stone for a new building was laid, very close to the original chapel building.

It opened on the 3rd December 1904 at a cost of £700.

A Sunday School building was added in 1916. This stood opposite the Chapel but was later demolished.

The Chapel closed in the late 1960s, and has been used as industrial premises ever since

This & associated entries use material contributed by Andy Eccles

Blackley Baptist GraveyardRef 5-489
There are 2 sections to the graveyard for Blackley Particular Baptist Church:

  • a small burial ground – known as Cartledge Yard – enclosed by railings and attached to the original Church of 1789, and
  • a larger, more extensive area around the newer Church of 1879. This land was acquired in 1905 for use as building land or extensions to the Cemetery

Both burial grounds are now closed.

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Blackley Minister's HouseRef 5-765
The minister's house for Blackley Particular Baptist Church was built around the same time as the Church [1878]. It stood immediately north of the Church.

Rev Roger Briggs was largely instrumental in the building the Church, the schoolrooms and the Minister's House.

It was demolished in 19??.

The site is now the car park for the Church.

The Minister's residence is now in Victoria Road, Elland

Blackley Particular Baptist ChurchRef 5-B320
Blackley Road, Elland. Built in 1789 by James Cartledge.

A new chapel was built in 1878.

See Godfrey Beaumont, Blackley Baptist Church Deacons, Blackley Baptist Church Graveyard, Blackley Baptist School, Blackley Centre, Blackley Baptist War Memorials and Charles Pearson

Blackley Primitive Methodist ChurchRef 5-931
John Ramsden of Halifax performed the stonelaying on 17th October 1868

Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist Church, NorthowramRef 5-330
Founded 1819. It accommodated 400 worshippers [1845]

See Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist Church Graveyard, Wesleyan Methodist and West End Methodist Chapel, Queensbury

Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist GraveyardRef 5-772
The burial ground for Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist Church, Northowram

Blackshaw Clough House Independent Church, SoylandRef 5-332
Recorded in 1819

Blackshawhead Wesleyan Methodist ChapelRef 5-123
Before the chapel opened in June 1815, services had been held at Apple Tree.

The Chapel was built at Bull Green, on the site of a bull-baiting ring. The plans were borrowed from the chapel at Mankinholes. The members of the congregation prepared the land for the builders. It accommodated around 250 worshippers [1845].

A Sunday school was built in 1838.

The Chapel was rebuilt in 1912.

The chapel was enlarged in 1899.

Ministers at the Church have included


See Blackshawhead War Memorial, Blackshawhead Wesleyan Methodist Graveyard and Wesleyan Methodist

Blackshawhead Wesleyan Methodist GraveyardRef 5-663
The graveyard for Blackshawhead Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Blake Dean Baptist ChurchRef 5-B75
Hardcastle Crags. An offshoot of Mount Zion Baptist Church, Heptonstall Slack built in 1820 to serve the community at Alcomden.

Because of the lie of the land, the Church was built into the hillside, and access to the gallery was by steps from the road behind the chapel.

The Speak family were associated with the church. James Speak and Clement Speak were organists there. It had an American organ.

On 25th May 1932, there was a robbery at the Church.

The Church closed in 1959.

The building was used as a scout hostel [1962]. It was vandalised and finally demolished [1971].

The graveyard is still there.

See The Green Lady of Blake Dean

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Smith

Blake Dean Baptist Graveyard, WiddopRef 5-620
The graveyard for Blake Dean Baptist Church

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Bolton Brow Wesleyan GraveyardRef 5-592
The graveyard for Bolton Brow Wesleyan Chapel.

In 1992, permission was given for the graves in the graveyard at the rear of the Chapel to be removed.

The graveyard was converted into the car park for the flats

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CDs entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1 and Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #3

Bolton Brow Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-B303
Built in 1832 to replace Sowerby Bridge Methodist Chapel.

It is a 6-storey building.

The basement included warehouse facilities for the nearby Calder & Hebble Navigation. It was extended in 1868.

In 1897, a water-powered organ was installed to replace the Holt organ of 1858 which had been moved to the Sunday School. This was later moved to Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

The exterior was cleaned up in 1970.

The Chapel closed for worship – and was stripped of its fittings – in 1979.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


In 1992, permission was given for the graves in the graveyard at the rear of the Chapel to be removed.

In 2006, there was a proposal to convert the Chapel into flats and a restaurant.

In 200?, the graveyard was converted into the car park for the flats

See Bolton Brow Wesleyan Sunday School and Wesleyan Methodist

Booth Congregational ChurchRef 5-318

Booth Independent ChurchRef 5-B310

See Booth Independent Church Graveyard

Booth Independent GraveyardRef 5-593
Booth Independent Church was demolished in 1980, but the graveyard of the Church remains

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Booth ManseRef 5-764
Booth Independent Church was demolished in 1980, but the Manse remains

Booth United Reformed ChurchRef 5-55

Booth Wood Wesleyan Methodist ChapelRef 5-159
In 1842, a number of Wesleyans met at Porridge Hall, Temple Terrace, near the Derby Bar, Rishworth.

The new building was constructed in 1854, at a cost of £300, and was rented by the Wesleyans. The datestone [1854] still remains over the original entrance to the Chapel.

Attendances fell in 1860 when Temple Mill, Rishworth burned down on 27th April 1860, and many workers had to leave the district.

Around 1900, the Wesleyans bought the Chapel for £160.

When attendances fell again, services were discontinued.

In May 1905, the Chapel – the building with the 5 arched windows – in the centre of the photograph - was up for auction and was bought by Mr Lumb for £112 10/-

Lumb had a horse & cart business selling greengrocery, and converted the building into a house. He raised the roof over the three windows on the right-hand side, and used what remained of the chapel on the left-hand side for the cart, fruit & vegetables. The horse was stabled in the yard to the left of the chapel. The yard was later converted into a garage.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Wesleyan Methodist

This & associated entries use material contributed by Roger Beasley & Anne Kirker

Boothtown & Southowram Methodist ChurchRef 5-926
Established when Boothtown United Methodist Chapel and Southowram Wesleyan Chapel merged

Boothtown Methodist Church, Grantham RoadRef 5-608
The Church owes its origin to the Reform movement of 1849/50.

In 1851, services were held in a room – previously a smithy and stable – at the bottom of Ploughcroft Lane which was rented from Isaac Hartley.

On Good Friday, 18th April 1862, the Church building was opened on Grantham Road.

Services were conducted by

Donations are recorded from

alongside many smaller donations.

In 1898-99, the site where the current building stands was purchased for £304 2/6d. The land lay unused for several years until funds were raised. The previous chapel was sold to the Economic Stores for £775.

The new Church - Boothtown United Methodist Free Chapel – was opened on Saturday 23 March 1907.

The Church had a Sunday School

See Boothtown United Methodist Church Jubilee Souvenir

This & associated entries use material contributed by Julian Farrar

Boothtown United Methodist Free ChapelRef 5-B294
Aka Boothtown Methodist Chapel / Boothtown Road Methodist Chapel / Methodist Free Church, Boothtown.

The Chapel replaced the earlier Boothtown Methodist Church, Grantham Road. The foundation stone was laid on 28th July 1906. the Chapel was opened on 23rd March 1907 by Mrs Eli Fletcher.

The first wedding took place here on 21st May 1908.

The congregation merged with that of Akroydon Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Boothtown when that church closed in 1964.

After the closure of Southowram Wesleyan Chapel in 2005, the 2 chapels merged and are now known as Boothtown & Southowram Methodist Church

See Akroydon Wesleyan Methodist Memorial and Boothtown United Methodist Memorial

Borough Cemetery, HalifaxRef 5-B1479

Bottomley & Deanhead ChapelRef 5-168
A Sunday school was established in 1809 in cottages at Bottomley & Deanhead.

It soon proved inadequate. It was replaced by Bottomley Lane Foot Chapel.

See Deanhead Methodist Chapel

Bottomley Lane Foot Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-167
Built on land given by John Fielden of Bottomley, to replace Bottomley & Deanhead Chapel. Opened in 1818.

John Fielden gave the land for the school, on condition that he could send 1 scholar to the day school free of charge. An inscription above the door reads

The School was built by public subscription for instructing the children of all denominations

There was considerable local friction between the trustees and school committee over what was considered ambiguous wording of the inscription, were still continuing over 40 years. As a result, in 1861, when they could not agree the date of the annual Anniversary, 2 were held – one on August 2 and the other on August 18.

One Sunday each month was set aside for use by the Church of England. The Methodists used the building the rest of the time.

The building was extended in 1848

In 1876, it was superseded by Lanebottom Wesleyan Church

Bottoms Primitive Methodist Chapel, WalsdenRef 5-177
Opened in 1860.

After the Chapel had been closed for some considerable time services were re-commenced on 2nd September 1900.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Bottoms Primitive Methodist Sunday School, Walsden

Boulderclough United Methodist ChapelRef 5-7
Sowerby Lane.

In 1882, a new Chapel to replace the original Clough 'Oile Chapel, Bethel, or the Ranters' Chapel was erected by the congregation at a cost of £900.

A plaque from the original Chapel inscribed

Bethel 1822
Methodist New Connexion Chapel
is still retained.

In 1885, on account of lack of accommodation for school purposes, it was decided to build a new Chapel.

After 14 years of fund-raising for the £3,000, a new Chapel was designed in French Renaissance style by Sutcliffe & Sutcliffe and built in 1897. The corner stones were brought from the Holy Land by Wilkinson Pickles and laid by him on August 28th 1897.

The building is distinguished by the conical towers in the Arts & Crafts style, and the portico with 4 arches. The cost was £3000.

It opened on 1st October 1898. The Sowerby Bridge Chronicle describes the opening ceremony and other features of the new Chapel – see the link below.

The Chapel was upstairs and in the shape of a Greek cross.

The parapet is inscribed:


During the service on Sunday afternoon, 25th February 1906, a pipe in the heating system burst. The pipe passed beneath the choir and 5 of the 6 male choristers were severely injured by the escaping steam and hot water.

The church closed in September 1979. It was converted in private dwellings.

See Wright Bancroft, Boulderclough New Connexion Sunday School, Boulderclough United Methodist Chapel Graveyard, William Hanson, Ancient Order of Henpecked Husbands, Sidney Hollas and Sing

This & associated entries use material contributed by Roger Beasley

Boulderclough United Methodist GraveyardRef 5-581
The graveyard of Boulderclough United Methodist Chapel

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Bradford Parish ChurchRef 5-787

Bradford Quaker Burial GroundRef 5-929

Bradley Hall ChapelRef 5-342
A private chapel at Bradley Hall, Holywell Green was recorded in the 16th century, but has since disappeared.

The Hall was badly damaged by fire in 1629. The family then moved to Methley Hall. The bells from the Chapel were taken to Methley Church

Bradshaw Primitive Methodist ChurchRef 5-B315
The first church was built by Joseph Lassey in 18??.

The foundation stone for a new Primitive Methodist church was laid on 18th June 1864.

The church closed in 1964.

The church is mentioned in Graptolite's Stray Notes on Bradshaw

Bradshaw VicarageRef 5-803
The vicarage for St John the Evangelist, Bradshaw was built around 1850, and is one of the oldest in the Wakefield diocese. In the early 1990s, the building was sold off to make way for a new vicarage which was built nearby in Riley Lane.

The old vicarage is currently [2009, 2018] in a parlous state.

See Vicars of Bradshaw

Bramley Lane Church, LightcliffeRef 5-163
/ Hipperholme.

The church was built in 1836 by the Hipperholme Wesleyan Methodists.

It was also known as the Bell Metal Chapel and Mount Pleasant Chapel

The building is now 4 back-to-back houses.

There is a small graveyard behind the building

See Sarah Ann Barker

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Glover

Bramley Lane Graveyard, LightcliffeRef 5-770
The graveyard for Bramley Lane Chapel, Lightcliffe lies behind the building. Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Glover & John Williams

Branch General  Baptist Church, OvendenRef 5-504
Another name for Lee Mount Baptist Church, Ovenden

Brearley Particular Baptist ChurchRef 5-B446
Brearley Lane. Aka Brearley Bethel Baptist Church.

A meeting place had opened on 12th November 1845 and was known as Bethel.

Popularly, it was known as Little Faith because, in the event of the cause not succeeding, the meeting place could easily be converted into cottages.

In March 1846, 8 members – including James Fawcett, John Hodgson and John Riley – left Ebenezer Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge to established a Baptist cause in Brearley.

A new church was designed by Horsfall, Wardle & Patchett. It was built near the earlier chapel, on land given by John Hodgson and with the efforts of John Riley. It opened on 15th July 1875 and cost £3,000.

The earlier chapel was converted into houses, now known as Bethel Terrace.

In 1875, Brearley Baptist Church Day School was begun.

In 1887, a manse was built.

In the 1890s, 2 of the 3 mills in Brearley closed and the church suffered as people left the district to find work elsewhere.

The Church was demolished in 19??. Bethel Terrace stands on the site

Although it had around 40 members, for a time, there was no settled Pastor at the Church until 1853. Those who preached included William Fawcett, Stephen Fawcett, William Nicholson, William Littlewood of Rochdale, and F. H. Bowman.

Pastors at the Church have included


Some of those who fell in World War I and are remembered on the War Memorial in the Church, are listed on the Foldout for the book Royd Regeneration

This & associated entries use material contributed by John Riley & David Smith

Bridge chantryRef 5-304
A chantry chapel built on a river bridge.

There are examples at Rotherham and at Wakefield

Bridge End Congregational Church, RastrickRef 5-B172
The chapel opened in October 1779.

Around 1820, the increasing congregation demanded modification to the Church.

See James Barnes, Bridge End Congregational Graveyard, Rastrick, Bridge End Congregational Manse, Rastrick, Mr Broomhead and Snowdrop Band

Bridge End Congregational Graveyard, RastrickRef 5-B289
Burials are recorded in the graveyard of Bridge End Congregational Church, Rastrick from 1787.

Bridge End Congregational Manse, RastrickRef 5-635
The manse for Bridge End Congregational Church stood next to Bridge End Sunday School, Brighouse on Bridge End, It was next to the Rising Sun and opposite the Star.

It is now a children's nursery.

See Rev John Meldrum

Bridge Street (Central) Methodist Church, TodmordenRef 5-178
United Free Methodist Church.

A group from the York Street Wesleyan Chapel established a United Free Methodist Society here in 1837.

They met in the York Street Sunday School, then at the Mechanics' Institute.

The church was built in 1838.

It accommodated around 650 worshippers [1845].

The Sunday School accommodated about 400 scholars.

The church was demolished in 1873.

The four corner-stones for a new building were laid on 2nd August 1873. The cost of construction was about £14,000. The new Church opened in 1875.

On 26th September 1908, a new 3-manual organ, built by J. J. Binns of Bramley, was inaugurated.

Ministers at the Church have included


The York Street Wesleyan Chapel and the Bridge Street (Central)  Methodist Church united in the former York Street Sunday School building

See Bridge Street (Central) Methodist Memorial and Bridge Street United Free Methodist Church, Todmorden

Bridge Street United Free Methodist Church, TodmordenRef 5-712

See Bridge Street (Central) Methodist Church, Todmorden and Bridge Street United Free Methodist Memorial

Briers, SouthowramRef 5-883

Brigg Chapel, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-674

Brighouse CemeteryRef 5-B273
Lightcliffe Road.

See Brighouse Cemetery Chapels, Brighouse Cemetery Lodge, Lightcliffe Old Church Graveyard, Robert Milner, Noble Fountain, Brighouse and St Martin's Church, Brighouse Graveyard

Brighouse Cemetery: ChapelsRef 5-879
The chapel building for Brighouse Cemetery was designed by F. Bartram Payton and William Gray, and built by S. W. Dyson of Rastrick.

There are 2 chapels joined in a central tower.

The tower and spire is about 65 ft high.

Adjoining each chapel, and with separate entrances, are mortuaries which are divided from the chapels by arcades and glass screens.

Each chapel had a vestry.

They are now used as storage space for the grounds

Brighouse Parish ChurchRef 5-277

Brighouse Parish Church: BellsRef 5-760
On 30th April 1874, a peal of 8 bells was installed. Brighouse Parish Church.

The bells – by Mears & Stainbank of Whitechapel – cost £585 and had a combined weight of 3½ tons. They were hung in an iron frame weighing 3 tons.

The larger bells were the gift of Richard Kershaw and Benjamin Noble. These bear the names of their respective donors, and also the names of the vicar and the late churchwardens: Mr Thorpe and Mr Manley.

The smaller bells were paid for by a general subscription.

On 22nd May 1874, the bells were rung for the first time, and a special service was held at which the dedication form was read.

To mark the event, the Staff of Life pub in Commercial Street, Brighouse was renamed the Ring O' Bells

Brighouse Parish Church: MemorialsRef 5-758
There are several memorials, inscriptions and epitaphs in Brighouse Parish Church.

Some are shown in the Photo Gallery.

See Brighouse Parish Church War Memorials, Miscellaneous Monumental Inscriptions and Miscellaneous Graves

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Dobby

Brighouse Parish Church: OrganRef 5-759
In 1848, the first organ – by Conacher – was installed at Brighouse Parish Church, replacing the earlier orchestra. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

On 28th October 1874, the organ was replaced at a cost of £805 by one made by Conacher of Huddersfield.

The specification for the new organ was made by William Lockett, honorary organist at St mark's, Manchester. The newspapers of the time gave a detailed description of the organ.

The organist for the new organ was selected – at a salary of £50 per annum – in August 1874.

In July 1904, the galleries were removed and the organ was enlarged and moved.

In 1968, the organ by Wood of Huddersfield was brought here from St Chad's, Hove Edge.

Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

See Organists at Brighouse Parish Church

Brighouse United Methodist Free ChurchRef 5-179
Opened in 18??

Brighouse vicarageRef 5-801

Broad Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-180
Aka Broad Street Chapel and Wesley's Chapel, Broad Street.

See Wesleyan Methodist

Broadstone Baptist Church, ColdenRef 5-B307
From 1836, services were held in 2 cottages at Longtail, Colden. There were about 500 people in the community.

In 1840, the first school-chapel was established at Tolley, Colden, as an offshoot of Mount Zion Baptist Church, Heptonstall Slack.

By 1853, larger premises were needed and a new chapel was built. It was estimated that this would cost £1,400 or £1,500, of which £1,028 had already been received in subscriptions.

The first sod for a new chapel was cut on 19th September 1891 by Jonas Drake. The new chapel opened on 26th November 1892. The first services were held on 3rd December 1892.

In 1923, a new organ was installed.

Closed in the 1950s.

In 1968, the congregation merged with Mount Zion Baptist Church, Heptonstall Slack.

The Church was demolished in 19??

See Broadstone Baptist Church, Colden War Memorial

Brunswick United Methodist Free Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-B305
Rhodes Street.

Opened in 18??.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

Closed in 1937.

It subsequently became business premises known as Brunswick House.

See Brunswick United Methodist Free Chapel Memorial

Butts Green Baptist Chapel, WarleyRef 5-B312
The Baptist cause in the area had been active since 1783.

The Chapel was built in 1805. It was originally attached to the Johnsonians.

The upper floor of the building was the Chapel, and a Sunday School was on the ground floor.

It accommodated fewer than 100 worshippers.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


The Chapel was in danger of closing in 1909, but members of the King family and others agreed that they would attend and that the Chapel should continue.

In the 1940s, it was decided to hold only fortnightly services; in the 1950s, this was changed to monthly.

During the 1950s, attendance fell to a congregation of about 6.

The Chapel was last used for worship in Summer 1958, and the last service was the funeral of Joseph P. Farrar [22nd August 1858].

The Chapel closed in December 1958.

The Chapel was demolished in 1959.

The graveyard is still there

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Greaves & Alan Taylor

Butts Green Baptist Graveyard, WarleyRef 5-669
The graveyard for Butts Green Baptist Chapel, Warley was taken over by Sowerby Bridge Urban District Council.

The graveyard remains but the Chapel has been demolished

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 12:21 / 7th June 2024 / 79890

Page Ref: C109_B

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind