Old Brigg Chapel, Sowerby Bridge was built in 1526 as a chapel of ease for Halifax Parish Church.
It stood on the County Bridge on the north bank of the Calder on
a parcel of land, 26 yards in length and 8 in breadth
In April 1539, John Lumb bequeathed
6/8d to the emend'cion of a bell at the chapel
In 1632, it was rebuilt at a cost of £67 7/7d. The walls were raised and galleries were added. It accommodated 426 worshippers.
The township of Skircoat paid one-sixth of the cost, and Norland and Warley each paid half of the balance.
Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included
During the time of Rev Franks, efforts were made to build a new, larger Church, but this did not come about until 1821 when Christ Church was built.
In 1821, it was superseded by Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge and was demolished. The materials were sold at auction.
The Chapel is illustrated in Buildings in the Town & Parish of Halifax.
A new building with housing was built on the site. This began to sink towards the river and was demolished. A seating area now stands on the site.
The Halifax Weekly Courier of 1914, quoted from a poem by Frederick William Cronhelm entitled A Wreath for Catherine's Grave  which described the Chapel and its passing
andThere is a spot in Calderdale beneath the Norland wood Where years ago, by an ancient tree, a lowly chapel stood; It is a green and sheltered nook just where the rivers meet, The Calder and the Ribourne stream, by Lofty Werla's feet
That chapel is gone with its belfry tower - They have taken the altar and cross From the living stream their fathers chose to their own dear sluggish fosse; Nor mouldering stone, nor legend dim, beguiles the pilgrim there; But over its place, like a mourner, droops that tall Acacia fair.
See Frederick William Cronhelm
Revised 17:23 /12th July 2020 / 4973
Page Ref: QQ_86
|site search by freefind|