Quainton, Rev Cecil SamuelRef Q12
[1867-1938] BA.

Born in Lewknor, Oxfordshire.

He was Vicar of Christ Church, Pellon [from 13th June 1900-1909].

On 24th August 1905, he was Captain of a cricket team of local clergymen which took on a team from the Halifax Borough Police in a match at the grounds of the Halifax Cricket & Football Club.

The result: Clergymen 205 for 4 wickets; Police all out for 69

In 1911, he was a Clergyman in the established church living at the Vicarage, Holmfirth.

In 1896, he married Minnie Collins [1866-19??] at Keynsham.

Minnie came from Moreton Thornbury, Gloucestershire


  1. Cecil Eden [b 1900]
  2. Eric Hugh [b 1902]

In 1914, he was travelling in Canada and wrote letters from Brandon, Manitoba to Holmfirth, describing the life and times in Canada. These were published in the Halifax Courier.

He died in Uxbridge

Quaker House, Sowerby BridgeRef Q8

QuakersRef Q102

Quakers in Brighouse & RastrickRef Q25
There were many Quakers in Brighouse and Rastrick, notably members of the Clay, Cooper, Firth, and Fryer families, and also Thomas Dearnally, Richard Hanson, and John King.

Trustees of the Quakers here included

See Friends Meeting House, Rastrick, Newlands Meeting House, Rastrick and Snake Hill Meeting House, Rastrick

Quarlers, NorthowramRef Q1840

Quarmby, Albert ErwinRef Q55
[1896-1917] Son of Joseph & Annie Quarmby of Nunroyd, Heckmondwike.

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 21st Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps.

He died 8th October 1917 (aged 21).

He was buried at Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cemetery [III C 8].

He is remembered on Bailiff Bridge War Memorial

Quarmby & MillsRef Q33
In 1876, they established business as monumental masons at Stoney Royd Cemetery. In 1892, William Riley took over the business

Quarmby BrothersRef Q32
Cotton spinners and doublers at Holywell Mills, Holywell Green [1905]. Partners included Joseph Quarmby

Quarmby, Charles AlfredRef Q26
[1854-19??] Born in Holmfirth.

In 1884, he married Emma Haigh.


  1. Jonathan Irvin [b 1885]
  2. Arthur Haigh [b 1887]

In 1891, he bought the business of Henry Smith. By 1901, he was a painter, paper-hanger, general decorator, gilder, glass and sign writer with showrooms at Briggate, Brighouse. He had workshops and stores at Bull Fold.

He had contracts for redecorating several local churches and chapels, and with the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company, and other railway companies, for decorating the local railway stations.

In 1906, the family emigrated to the USA on board the Carmania. In 1910, they were living at Lansing, Michigan

Quarmby HallRef Q50
Hugh de Quarmby of the Hall at Quarmby features in the Elland Feud

Quarmby, Hugh deRef Q16
[1???-1341] Of Quarmby, Huddersfield.

See Elland Feud

Quarmby, JohnRef Q48
[18??-19??] He was Chairman of the Stainland Local Board in 1891 when he cut the first sod of Cold Acre Reservoir, Stainland. He was presented with a silver spade to make the cut and a polished oak wheelbarrow to take it away

Quarmby, JosephRef Q28
[18??-19??] Partner in Quarmby Brothers

Quarmby, JosephRef Q69
[1851-1922] Landlord of the Bay Horse, Stainland [1895-1898]

Quarmby, LewisRef Q54
[1893-1918] Son of Ada & Sam Quarmby, a power loom tuner, of 13 Myddleton Road, Ilkley.

He worked for Firth's Carpets at Flush Mills, Heckmondwike.

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 2nd/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He died 28th July 1918 (aged 25).

He was buried at the Marfaux British Cemetery [III B 7].

He is remembered on Firth's War Memorial, and on Bailiff Bridge War Memorial

Quarmby, R.Ref Q59
[18??-19??] He was landlord of the Ship Inn, Brighouse [13th June 1914]

Quarrel House, NorthowramRef Q5830

Quarries & quarryingRef Q29

Quarry Cottages, WalsdenRef Q3130
A row of 5 cottages built by Robert Stevenson and his son John, between 1831 and 1835.

They stand on the canal bank at Upper Warland Lock, a few feet over the boundary in the township of Blatchinworth & Calderbrook (Littleborough).

See Warland Quarry

Quarry Hill, SowerbyRef Q1
In 16??, Joshua Horton built a meeting house here. Eli Bentley, William Dawson, Oliver Heywood, and Timothy Root preached there

Quarry House, EllandRef Q39
Church Lane, Lower Edge.

Early 18th century house.

A datestone is said to record 1710 IIB

It is now 2 dwellings.

Quarry House, Holywell GreenRef Q47
Owners and tenants have included

Quarry House, NorthowramRef Q15
Originally a farm-house.

It consisted of a barn and other outbuildings.

There was a coal mine in the valley below with a small house where coal was weighed and sold from the roadside next to the current mill property.

It has been known by various names at various times:

  • Quarlers [mentioned by Heywood]
  • Quarles
  • Quarrel House [1600s]
  • Wharlers [mentioned by Heywood]
  • Wharles
  • Wharllers [1447]

Owners and tenants have included

The old house was demolished and rebuilt 1853 only to be demolished in the 1970s.

A lodge house stood at the end of the drive that connected the property to the main Bradford road. This was demolished.

See William Bainbridge, Quarry House Colliery, Northowram and Quarry House School, Northowram

Quarry House, OvendenRef Q4
John Walsh and the Walsh family lived here from before 1881 until at least 1928

Quayle, JosephRef Q74
[1875-1961] Son of William Quayle.

Born in Walsden [3rd June 1875].

He was a cotton factory operative [1891] / a cotton mill scutcher tenter [1939].

In [Q1] 1900, he married Mary Barker [1875-1941] in Todmorden.

Mary was born 14th December 1875.

She was an invalid [1939]


Child: John W. [b 6th August 1901] who had been an invalid for 7 years [1939].

They lived at 147 Knowlwood Road, Todmorden [1939, 1941].

Mary died 19th December 1941 (aged 66).

Joseph died 17th January 1961 (aged 85).

The couple were buried at Lumbutts United Methodist Free Church with his brother Thomas Halstead Quayle

Quayle, Thomas HalsteadRef Q73
[1874-1917] Son of William Quayle.

Born in Walsden.

He was a cotton twister [1891] / a labourer at size works [1891, 1911].

In [Q1] 1900, he married Grace Mallinson [1873-1947] in Todmorden.

Grace was born in Todmorden [14th December 1873].

She was a cotton weaver [1891, 1911] / a cotton weaver with Luke Barker & Sons [1921]


The 1911 census shows that they had had 1 child who died in infancy.

They lived at 151 Knowlwood Road, Todmorden [1901, 1911, 1917, 1921, 1928, 1939].

Thomas died 12th August 1917 (aged 43).

Living with Grace [in 1921] was boarder Thomas Finch, who died there [1928].

Grace died 17th November 1947 (aged 75).

The couple were buried at Lumbutts United Methodist Free Church with his brother Joseph Quayle

Quayle, WilliamRef Q75

In [Q2] 1872, he married Mary Halstead [1847-1???] in Todmorden.

Mary was born in Walsden.

She was a grocer [1881, 1891] / a shopkeeper (grocer) [1901]



  1. Thomas Halstead
  2. Joseph
  3. Susannah [b 1877] who was a cotton weaver [1891, 1901]
  4. William [b 1879] who was a cotton doffer [1891], a cotton  spinner [1901]
  5. Eliza [b 1881] who was a cotton weaver [1901, 1911]

The family lived at

  • 71 Knowlwood, Todmorden & Walsden [1881, 1891]
  • 133 Knowlwood Road, Todmorden [1901, 1911]

William died in Todmorden [Q4 1880] (aged 38).

Living with the widowed Mary [in 1881] was (her mother?) Susannah Halstead [1814].

Mary died in Todmorden [Q4 1915] (aged 69) 

Queen Anne's Square, BrighouseRef Q9

Queen at the BoothRef Q5
The name given to Mrs Elizabeth Ramsden by poet John Collier

Queen's Court Apartments, HalifaxRef Q38
A part of Bull Green House

Queen Victoria Lodge, TodmordenRef Q41
Masonic Lodge.

A Juvenile Lodge of the Todmorden District.

Queens Hall, King CrossRef Q10
Queens Road / King Cross Street, just across from the Palladium Cinema.

Opened in 1890 as the King Cross Constitutional Club.

Queens of Dawson CityRef Q20
The popular name for Mrs Adams and Mrs Nolan who ran lodging houses at Dawson City.

In 19??, a competition was held to find which of them had the larger backside. The 2 women sat in a bath of flour and whoever displaced the most flour was the winner

Queens Road Co-Op, HalifaxRef Q21
Osborne Street. Branch number 18 of the Halifax Industrial Society opened in January 1870.

It had a boot and shoe department.

In 1937, there was a milk department here

Queens Road Economic StoresRef Q200
Queens Road. A branch of Economic Stores (Halifax) Limited. Opened in 18??

Queens Road Health Centre, HalifaxRef Q24
Recorded in 1929 at Lemon Street School, Halifax

Queens Road Perseverance Building SocietyRef Q3
Halifax. Recorded in 1882

Queens Road Post OfficeRef Q34
Recorded in 1905 at 284 Queens Road, Halifax

QueensburyRef Q6

Queensbury & Shelf Urban District CouncilRef Q2
See Calder Registration District, Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale, Shelf UDC and Shelf

Queensbury Constitutional ClubRef Q35
Recorded in 1917, when Richard Burniston was secretary

Queensbury Cricket ClubRef Q60
Recorded around 1940

Queensbury Economic StoresRef Q42
The second branch of Economic Stores (Halifax) Limited. Opened in 1923 [?]

Queensbury fountainRef Q31
The 13th century-style drinking fountain by Black Dike Mills, a memorial to Prince Albert, was erected by John Foster and unveiled on 26th May 1863, the day that Queensbury changed its name

Queensbury Industrial SocietyRef Q43
Recorded on 10th March 1905, when they held their jubilee celebrations

Queensbury Liberal ClubRef Q36
Recorded in 1917 at 20 Chapel Street, when Sam Wood was secretary

Queensbury Music Centre BandRef Q30
Aka Queensbury Band. Formed in 1???. Disbanded in 1???

Queensbury Railway LinesRef Q70
Whilst an 1863 proposal to link Halifax and Keighley with a direct rail route failed to obtain Parliamentary support, a series of railway Acts enabled a line to be built piecemeal over the following 20 years, finally establishing the rail link between the two towns in 1884.

The Charlestown Viaduct, Halifax carried the Halifax-Ovenden line of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and the Bradford-Queensbury-Halifax and Keighley-Queensbury-Halifax lines of the Great Northern Railway, between Halifax Station and North Bridge Station.

Passenger services ceased on the line from Halifax to Queensbury on 23rd May 1955. The line continued to support goods traffic to North Bridge goods yard and coal trains to the Halifax Gas Works, until 1976.

See Bradford & Thornton Railway, Halifax & Ovenden Junction Railway Company, Halifax, Thornton & Keighley Railway and Queensbury Railway Station

Queensbury Railway StationRef Q44
Links to Holmfield Station via the Queensbury Tunnel.

The lines from Halifax and Bradford were opened in 1878/9, and from Keighley in 1884.

The Holmfield to Queensbury section of the line opened on 14th October 1880.

The lines were closed to passengers in 1955, and mostly taken up in 1966.

See Halifax, Thornton & Keighley Railway and Queensbury Railway Lines

Queensbury TunnelRef Q17
Built for the Great Northern Railway, to link Holmfield Station to Queensbury Station.

Work began on 21st May 1874. The tunnel was completed on 21st July 1878.

It was 2501 yards long. When it was built, it was the longest tunnel on the Great Northern Railway system, and one of the deepest in the country.

There were 5 ventilation shafts: the deepest was 379 ft.

Around 700 men were involved in the construction, and several of these were killed as a result of accidents on the site.

The Tunnel is in a parlous condition.

It is due to be lost to landfill [2012].

See Halifax, Thornton & Keighley Railway and Strines Cutting

Queensbury Working Men's ClubRef Q37
Recorded in 1917 at Small Page, Queensbury when William Moore was secretary

Quellyn Slate Quarry CompanyRef Q1060
Caernarfon, Wales. Recorded in 1864, when a large number of Halifax men were listed as directors and officers of the company, including

and the office was at 20 Cow Green, Halifax

Quest, Arthur CharlesRef Q52
[1858-1924] Son of Sophia (née Atkinson) [1834-1885] & Thomas Quest [1833-1892], innkeeper.

Born in Riby, Lincolnshire [19th April 1858].

He was Police Sergeant living in Barnsley [1881] / Police Inspector living in Pontefract [1891] / Inspector of West Riding Police [1896] / stationed at Sowerby Bridge [1896-1898] / Police Superintendent living in Barnsley [1901] / Police Deputy Chief Constable living in Wakefield [1911, 1916] / Acting Chief Constable [1918] / Police Deputy Chief Constable [1921] / awarded the King's Police Medal [1921].

On 13th June 1883, he married Jane Hannah Dales [1857-1935] in Bridlington.


  1. William [1884-1967]
  2. Jane Elizabeth [b 1885]
  3. Mary [b 1886]
  4. Arthur Charles [1888-1918]
  5. Thomas Percival [1890-1966]
  6. Harold

He died in Bridlington [30th September 1924]

Quest, HaroldRef Q11
[1894-1916] MC.

Son of Harold Quest.

Born in Pontefract.

During World War I, he served as a Captain with the York & Lancaster Regiment.

He died on the Somme [3rd November 1916].

He was buried at Hebuterne Military Cemetery, France.

He was awarded the Military Cross

Quiby, H.Ref Q22
(Possibly) the pseudonym of Rev Hanley Pickersgill

Quick, AnnieRef Q19
[1886-1910] Born in North Wales, the daughter of a lead miner. Her parents died when she was young and she followed her elder sister into service in Yorkshire. In 1901, she and her sister were both working for a newspaper manager in Leeds.

Her sister died, and Annie moved to Oxenhope and then to the Halifax area [1907]. She went into service with Gerbacio Protacio Appleyard.

Towards the end of 1909, Annie met Joseph Pitchforth, and they fell in love.

She was pregnant and they were planning to marry. Joseph had lost his job and was having difficulty finding work.

In April 1910, the couple travelled to Barnsley where they committed suicide by swallowing poison.

She was buried at Stoney Royd Cemetery alongside Joseph

Quick, JamesRef Q62
[1880-19??] Son of Mary [1840-1???] & Joseph Quick [1840-1???] of Southowram Bank [1881].

Born in Halifax.

He was a night watchman [1911].

In [Q2] 1901, he married Lillian Morley 1890-19?? in Halifax.

Lillian was born in Halifax


  1. Agnes [b 1902]
  2. Alfred [b 1904]
  3. Ethel [b 1911]
  4. Lewis

They lived at 22 Malt Shovel Yard [1911]

Quick, JosephRef Q64
[1840-1???] Born in Tiverton, Devon.

He was a labourer at gas works [1881].

Around 1856, he married Mary [1840-1???].

Mary was born in Scotland


  1. Anne [b 1856] who was an unemployed [1881]
  2. Richard [b 1863]
  3. Isabella [b 1871]
  4. Jame [b 1880]

They lived at Southowram Bank, Halifax [1881]

Quick, LewisRef Q61
[1916-1943] Son of James Quick.

Born in Halifax.

He was a member of Bethlehem Pentecostal Mission Church, Wheatley Road / a member of Salem Boys' Brigade / educated at Akroyd Place School / employed at Dean Clough Mills.

In [Q3] 1941, he married Elizabeth A. Brook in Halifax.

They lived at 22 St Thomas Street South, Halifax.

During World War II, he served as a Private with the 6th Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

He died 24th April 1943 (aged 27).

He was buried at Massicault War Cemetery, Tunisia [Grave Ref I H 6].

Quick, RichardRef Q63
[1862-1900] Son of Joseph Quick.

Born in Aldershot.

He was a cotton spinner [1881] / a regular soldier with 7 years' service / a reservist.

He married Unknown.


  1. child
  2. child
  3. child

They lived at 27 Matlock Street, Lee Mount.

During the South African Wars, he was called-up [December 1899] and served as a Private with the 2nd Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.

He died of pneumonia aboard SS Cymric on his way to South Africa [11th January 1900] (aged 38).

He is remembered on the Halifax Parish Church South African War Memorial, and on West View Park War Memorial

Quickstavers, SowerbyRef Q18
Steep Lane. Aka Lower Quickstavers.

Samuel Wade lived here in 1593. His son, Richard, and Richard's son, Samuel subsequently owned the house.

From 1633, it was owned by ??.

For many years, until 1822, it was a pub called the Golden Fleece.

Owners and tenants have included

It is now 5 private dwellings.

See Upper Quickstavers, Sowerby and The Brigg family of Quickstavers

Quiggin, Rev GeorgeRef Q27
[1844-1893] Son of Dorothy (née Clucas) [1814-1895] & Robert Quiggin [1812-1860], a clerk in a timber yard.

Born in Peel, Isle-of-Man [5th January 1844].

He was a watchmaker on the Isle of Man [1861] / a minister at Kirkoswald, Cumbria [1871] / a minister at Rotherham [1881-1884].

In 1891, he and Rev W. Calladine were Ministers at Salem Wesleyan Chapel, Hebden Bridge and Scout Road Wesleyan Chapel, Mytholmroyd

In 1872, he married Elizabeth Thompson [1851-1927] in East Ward, Westmorland.


  1. Edmund Crosby [1875-1920]
  2. Florence Thompson [1877-1968]
  3. Rhoda Frances [1883-1958]

The family lived at Woodleigh, Mytholmroyd [1893].

He died in Caistor, Lincolnshire in 1893

Quigley, CecilRef Q65
[1922-1940] Son of Mrs Quigley, a housekeeper at 18 Belvoir Gardens, Skircoat Green.

During World War I, he enlisted [1938], and served as an Ordinary Telegraphist with the Royal Navy aboard the aircraft carrier HMS Glorious,

He was lost [8th June 1940] (aged 18)  when his ship was shelled and sank in the Norwegian Sea with the loss of 1,207 of her crew of 1,247.

He is remembered on the Plymouth Naval Memorial [Grave Ref 39 3], and in the Halifax Town Hall Books of Remembrance

Quigley, HughRef Q58
[1835-1884] He was a soldier [1884].

In [Q3] 1872, he married Agnes Mary Gray [1853-1943] in Halifax.


  1. Alice May [1884-1885]
  2. John Edward [1881-1885]

They lived at

  • 105 Queen's Terrace, Hanson Lane, Halifax [1884]
  • 36 Franklin Street, Halifax [1885]

He died 29th March 1884 (aged 49).

Members of the family were buried at Stoney Royd Cemetery

Quillby, JohnRef Q1000
[1800-1875] Of Bramley Lane, Lightcliffe.

He was buried at Mount Zion Chapel, Lightcliffe with his sister-in-law Ann Goldthorpe [1801-1878]

Quincey, Thomas deRef Q40
[18??-18??] He kept a lodging house at Todmorden.

On 18th May 1857, a woman aged about 25 – referred to as Mrs Yates – came to lodge at his house. She gave birth to a little girl named Kate Smith. After a few days, Mrs de Quincey gave the child to a Mrs O'Brien of Shade who came and took the child away. Mrs Yates then left Todmorden. The child died on 22nd July. At the inquest, the jury returned a verdict of death by natural causes, and considered the conduct of the O'Briens objectionable, and that of Thomas de Quincey as reprehensible

Quinlan, Fr JeromeRef Q7
[18??-19??] Local Catholic priest.

In 1894, he was assigned to oversee the building of Sacred Heart & St Bernard's Catholic Church, Halifax. In 1895, he encouraged the Sisters of the Cross & Passion to take up residence at Horley Green Convent

Quinn, BartholomewRef Q66
[1898-1917] Son of John Quinn.

During World War I, he served as a Gunner with "V" 66th Trench Mortar Battery Royal Field Artillery.

He died 14th April 1917 (aged 19).

He was buried at Bethune Town Cemetery, France [Grave Ref VI D 14].

He is remembered on the Memorial at Saint Bernard's Catholic Church

Quinn, EamonnRef Q68
[19??-19??] He served in World War II.

He died in the conflict.

He is remembered on the Memorial at Saint Bernard's Catholic Church

Quinn, Fr EdwardRef Q13
[19??-19??] Priest at St Alban's Catholic Church, Halifax

Quinn, JohnRef Q51
[1830-1???] Born in Ireland.

He was a pensioner from the 34th regiment [1871] / a general factory hand at stuff works [1871].

He married Mary [1839-1???] from Colchester.


  1. Louisa [b 1864]
  2. Edward [b 1866]
  3. James [b 1868]

They lived at 42 Green Terrace Square, Skircoat [1871]

Quinn, JohnRef Q67
[1868-19??] Born in Halifax.

He was a cart driver (brick yard) [1901].

In [Q2] 1894, he married Catherine Killeen [1867-19??] in Halifax.

Catherine was born in Halifax


  1. Bartholomew
  2. Annie [b 1900]

They lived at 2 Oates Court, Halifax [1901]

Quinn, JohnRef Q49
[1868-1911] Born in Halifax.

He was a dyer's labourer [1891] / a dyer's labourer (cloth) [1901].

In 1889, he married Mary Lord in Halifax.

Mary was born in Soyland, the daughter of
Eli Lord


  1. Anorah [b 1890] who was a cotton twiner [1911]
  2. Clara Ellen [b 1891] who was a worsted spinner [1911]
  3. Thomas
  4. Winifreda [b 1900]
  5. Caroline Teresa [b 1902]
  6. Michael John [b 1906]
  7. Rose [b 1909]

They lived at

  • 3 School Terrace, Ovenden [1891]
  • 19 Rake Bank, Halifax [1901]
  • 9 Holroyd Street, Halifax [1911]
  • 11 Back Albion Street, Halifax
  • 34 Holroyd Street, Halifax
  • 3 Tewitt Lane, Bradshaw

Quinn, MartinRef Q72
[1839-1902] Born in Sligo, Ireland.

He was a plasterer [1881, 1891] / a retired plasterer [1901].

He married Catherine [1845-1912].

Catherine was born in (?) Drogheda, Ireland.

She was a flax mill hand [1881] / a flax spinner [1891] / a feeder (woollen mill) [1901]



  1. Norah [b 1874] who was a worsted spinner [1891], a carpet  weaver [1901]
  2. Mary [b 1876] who was a worsted spinner [1891], a  Brussels winder [1901]
  3. Bridget [1878] who was buried at Lister Lane  Cemetery [Plot 2310] with Bridget Quin [1829-1866]  (daughter of Catherine Roach
  4. Patrick [b 1883] who was a plasterer [1901]

The children were born in Halifax.

The family lived at 6 Hill's Yard, Southowram [1881, 1891, 1901].

Patrick died in Halifax [Q4 1902].

Catherine died in Halifax [Q1 1912]

Their burial places are not yet known

Quinn, Miss MaryRef Q45
[1915-19??] On 9th December 1933, she set a new world women's non-stop skating record of 53 hours at the Victory Rink, Sowerby Bridge, breaking the previous record set by Mabel Hill. Arnold Binns presented her with a silver cup and a cheque

Quinn, Patrick JosephRef Q57
[1917-1944] Son of Hannah & Patrick Quinn of New Bank, Halifax.

He worked for James Robinson & Sons.

He lived at 62 Prospect Street, Range Bank, Halifax.

During World War II, he enlisted in the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) [1940], and and he served as a Private with the 1st Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

He was killed in action in NW Europe [11th October 1944] (aged 27).

He was buried at Mierlo War Cemetery, Nederlands [Grave Ref I C 10].

He is remembered in the Halifax Town Hall Books of Remembrance, and on the Memorial at Saint Bernard's Catholic Church

Quinn, ThomasRef Q46

Born in Calcutta, India..

In July 1899, he succeeded Emmanuel Dale as Brighouse postmaster. The Post Office in Park Street was then in operation.

He retired on 1st September 1910

In 1874, he married Jane Hempsall Bairstow [1846-1927] in Bradford.


  1. Reginald Guelph Douglas [1874-1947]
  2. Ethel Harriet Teresa [1877-1947]
  3. Percy Stowel Warburton [1880-1939]
  4. Mabel Maud Mitchell [1882-1935]
  5. Wilfred Amos Bairstow [1885-1963]
  6. Cyril Hubert [1888-1966]

He died in Blackpool [15th March 1925]

Quinn, ThomasRef Q71
[1855-1???] Born in Halifax.

He was a carpet printer [1881] / a worsted carpet printer [1891] / a carpet printer [1901].

In [Q2] 1874, he married Harriet Hanson in Halifax.

Harriet was born in Halifax, the daughter of
William Hanson.

She was a worsted weaver [1881]



  1. William Henry [b 1875] who was a baker's apprentice [1891]

Thomas & Harriet appear to have split up after 1881, and were recorded at

  • 3 Freedom Street, Halifax (all living together) [1881]
  • 10 Well Street, Northowram (Thomas was a lodger with  Mary Gillfoyle) [1891]
  • 17 Lower Hope Street, Halifax (Harriet was living with  her parents) [1891]
  • 8 Square Road, Halifax (Thomas was a lodger with Mary  Barraclough) [1901]
  • 17 Lower Hope Street, Halifax (Harriet head of the  household living with boarder Mary A. Brearley [b 1862]  worsted weaver) [1891]
  • 32 Gibbet Street, Halifax (Harriet living with sister  Clara Hoyle & family) [1911]
  • 55 Woolshops, Halifax (Thomas was a servant at what was  later Working Men's Home, Halifax) [1911]

Harriet died 22nd October 1934 (aged 79), and was buried at Lister Lane Cemetery [Plot 1355] with her parents

Quinn, ThomasRef Q56
[1880-1916] He was a butcher [1911].

He was a career soldier.

In 1911, he was serving in India with the with the 59th Company Royal Garrison Artillery.

During World War I, he served as a Gunner with the 4th Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery.

He died of wounds [25th March 1916].

He was buried at Ferme-Olivier Cemetery, Belgium. [Grave Ref 2 C 2]

Quinn, ThomasRef Q53
[1893-1915] Son of John Quinn.

Born in Wheatley.

He was a dyer's labourer [1911].

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 1st/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He died in the Red Cross Hospital, Paris-Plage, following a German gas attack [28th December 1915] (aged 22).

The Halifax Courier [8th January 1916] reported his death with a photograph.

He was buried at Le Touquet-Paris Plage Communal Cemetery, France [Grave Ref II A 37]

He is remembered in the Halifax Town Hall Books of Remembrance, on the Memorial at Saint Bernard's Catholic Church, and on the Memorial at Saint Mary the Virgin, Illingworth

Quinsey, ThomasRef Q23
[1863-1917] Born in Wexford, Ireland.

He was a baker & confectioner at 24 Woolshops, Halifax [1891, 1900] / a baker shopkeeper [1901] / a traveller chemical [1911].

A 1900 advertisement for the business announced

T. Quinsey
(Late Bennett) 
Baker & Confectioner
Milk Bread a Speciality

In 1888, he married Louisa Helen Chatterley Fisher, daughter of Frederick William Fisher, in Halifax.


  1. Frederick William [1889-1963] who probably emigrated to  Canada
  2. Louisa [b 1891] who died in infancy before 1901
  3. Irene Mary Chatterley [1891-1970] who married Wilfrid H Wright

The family lived at

  • Woolshops, Halifax [1891]
  • 22 Woolshops, Halifax [1901]
  • 8 Church Street, Halifax [where Louisa was a boarding  house keeper 1911]

Living with them [in 1901] was brother Arnold Quinsey [aged 24] (bakery driver) 

Quirke, Rev J.Ref Q14
[19??-19??] Priest at St Mary's Catholic Church, Gibbet Street [1966]

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 17:44 / 7th January 2024 / 59738

Page Ref: Q

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind