Pubs & Inns



Labour & Health Inn, HalifaxRef 17-295

Radical meetings, including those of the Chartists, were held here in the early 19th century

Labour in Vain, HalifaxRef 17-810
Church Street. Opened in 1785.

The pub closed in 1927

Lakeside Lodge, BrighouseRef 17-348
Elland Road. The Grove Inn changed its name in the late 1990s because of the nearby Cromwell Lake. It also expanded the hotel and restaurant sides of the business at the same time.

In 2001, it was refurbished and renamed Casa del Lago

Lamb, EllandRef 17-109
Mount Pleasant

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: George Taylor


Lamb, HalifaxRef 17-110
2 Lower Kirkgate [1851] / 5 Bridge Street.

Stood on the corner of Bridge Street / Clark Bridge.

In September 1843, the pub was reported to be

the resort of notoriously bad characters

and was deprived of its licence.

In 1859, it was recorded as a beerhouse.

It was demolished in 19??.

The name may have been passed on to The Lamb on Halifax Station

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Lamb, HalifaxRef 17-1151
There was a pub with this name on the platform at Halifax Railway Station for use by train passengers.

It may have taken its name from the demolished Lamb which stood in Bridge Street.

The pub closed on 1st March 1950.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

See Lamb's Head, Halifax

Lamb's Head, HalifaxRef 17-1349
A beer house at Bridge Street, Halifax.

Recorded on 21st August 1850, when Samuel Speight was one of a number of local innkeepers who were fined £2 and costs at the Brewster Sessions for

knowingly permitting prostitutes and those of notorious character to be drinking in their house, contrary to the spirit of their licence

See Lamb, Halifax and Lamb, Halifax

Lambert House, West ValeRef 17-1353

See Lambert House and Shears, West Vale

Landlords of local pubsRef 17-1285

Lane Ends, Norwood GreenRef 17-230
Aka Lane End. Sowden Lane.

It was a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed in 1955.

It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Lane Ends, Old TownRef 17-609
Popular name for the Hare & Hounds

Lane Ends, WheatleyRef 17-689
Boy Lane / 13 Wheatley Lane Ends.

This was originally a beer house.

It was the first public house acquired by Samuel Webster's Fountain Head Brewery [1845].

The pub closed in February 1966 when the license was transferred from here to the new Sporting Life.

It is now a private house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Lane Head, BrighouseRef 17-367
Originally Lane Head House, the home of the Samuel Leppington

Last DropRef 17-1382
Before 2014, the Lewin's, Halifax was renamed The Last Drop

Last Post, RippondenRef 17-1398
In 201?, the Junction, Ripponden became the Last Post

Law & Bog Holes, BarkislandRef 17-690

Lee Bank Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-691
Old Lee Bank / Ovenden Road.

This was originally a beer house.

Opened in 1875.

It was a Ramsden pub.

It was popularly known as the Horse & Jockey on account of the picture of a horse and a jockey which stood behind the bar.

The pub closed in 1946

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Lee Bridge Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-448
16 Lee Bridge. Popularly known as The Spinners.

This was originally a beer house.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the Spinners applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence.

It was a Ramsden pub.

The pub closed on 31st December 1954.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1866: Thomas Armstrong
  • 1874: Samuel Holt
  • 1881: John Denham
  • 1893: Daniel Traher
  • 1894: George Townsend
  • 1895: George Townsend
  • 1905: Nathan Faulkes
  • 1925: Nathan Faulkes
  • 1925: Mrs Mary Ann Faulkes
  • 1927: Mrs Mary Ann Faulkes
  • 1927: Walter Patchett
  • 1928: Walter Patchett
  • 1928: Fred Wadsworth
  • 1932: Fred Wadsworth
  • 1932: Mrs Hannah Maria Wadsworth
  • 1938: Mrs Hannah Maria Wadsworth
  • 1938: Walter Metcalf
  • 1953: Walter Metcalf
  • 1953: Ernest Proctor
  • 1954: Ernest Proctor


Letters, HalifaxRef 17-427
Shibden Mill

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1834: Sarah Bottomley


Letters, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1150

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: George Dyson


Letters, TriangleRef 17-1149

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1829: James Clegg


Lewin's, HalifaxRef 17-439
Bull Green.

Built in 1769.

Originally known as the Hare & Hounds, it was renamed Lewin's in the 1960s.

The Lewin family took over the pub in 1881. The family – Elizabeth Lewin and Septimus Lewin - ran the business for 60 years.

The ground floor section on the left (facing the pub), was originally a separate wine and spirit business – 2 windows and a central door. This was incorporated into the pub and is now 3 windows.

Rooms at the pub were the Royal Room and the Calcutta Room.

It had stone-flagged floors.

Because of the beer shortage during World War I, women were barred from the pub. Men-only drinking continued until 1969.

In the 1970s (?), it was renamed the Cricketers' Arms.

In 1996, it was renamed O'Neill's.

In 2000, the named reverted to Lewin's.

In 2011, the premises were refurbished and returned to a traditional market town tavern and renamed Lewin's Ale House.

It was known as The Last Drop [2014]

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Link, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-495
Popular name for the Navigation on account of the chain which was fixed across the canal here to prevent boats entering on Sundays

Liquid, HalifaxRef 17-1283
Night club. Succeeded The Coliseum in what was originally the Picture House cinema

Listers' Arms, Hipperholme}Ref 17-428
Originally Mytholm Farmhouse, Halifax Old Road

Little Grace's, Luddenden DeanRef 17-812
The pub closed in 1895

Live & Let LiveRef 17-1415
Popular name for a beerhouse at Clarence Street [1854]

Live & Let Live, EllandRef 17-1039

The pub closed in 19??

Lock Keepers' Tavern, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-596
31 Wharf Street.

Formerly the Commercial Inn.

It was renamed for Tuel Lane Lock,

It became The Wharf

Lock, Stock & Barrel, BoothtownRef 17-542
Fern Street

Locomotive Inn, HalifaxRef 17-388
11 South Parade / Shay Syke.

This was originally a beer house.

Arrol Booth is recorded as residing here [1936]

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1842: Abram Bradbury
  • 1850: Abram Bradbury
  • 1874: Joseph Jenkinson
  • 1881: Joseph Jenkinson – who was also a blacksmith
  • 1891: Joseph Hirst
  • 1905: Joseph Hirst


London Tavern, HalifaxRef 17-885
4-6 Ann Street.

The pub closed in 1911 following the Licensing Act [1904]

It was a Webster's pub.

The licence was refused on 9th February 1910

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Long Chimney, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-543
West Street.

Formerly the New Inn.

It was renamed for the Brockwell Lane Chimney and Long Chimney, Sowerby Bridge.

The pub closed for refurbishment, and is to open as the Loose Goose [2016]

Lonsdale, WheatleyRef 17-1015
Ramsden Street.

Question: Is this the same pub as the Denfield Arms, Wheatley?


Opened in 18??

The pub closed in 19?? It was converted into business premises

Loose Goose, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1221
In 2016, the Long Chimney, Sowerby Bridge was refurbished and opened as the Loose Goose

Loose Pulley, HalifaxRef 17-692
Nab Hill, Cold Edge Road.

The pub closed in 1911 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Aka Old Delver's Arms ??

Lord  Nelson, HalifaxRef 17-112
11 Cow Green.

It has been suggested that the pub was formerly known as the Cow & Calf.

Also Recorded as

  • Admiral Lord Nelson [1810]
  • Admiral Nelson [1811, 1816]
  • Nelson's Arms [1847]
  • White Bear, Halifax [1860]

A news room is recorded here in 1822.

On 28th September 1872, Samuel Webster bought the pub from Elizabeth Hainsworth

In April 1914, Samuel Webster & Sons Limited advertised the pub to let.

The pub closed on 24th January 1919.

This and other buildings in the area were demolished for redevelopment in 1971.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Lord  Nelson, LuddendenRef 17-L229
High Street.

Originally a house dated 1634 GCP for Gregory Patchett, when it was known as Newhouse.

An inscription Dairy over a window suggests that there was a farm here at some point.

In the mid-18th century, it was a pub called the White Swan. It was renamed the Lord Nelson after the Battle of Trafalgar [1805].

The inn had its own Luddenden Library – established in 1776 – with a collection of 1000 books donated by the local minister.

Branwell Brontë was a regular when he worked at Luddendenfoot station, and he had his favourite chair here. Other regulars included William Dearden, William Heaton, and J. B. Leyland.

It was a Stocks pub [1866].

It is said that ...

there is (or was?) a chair in the pub known as the Mayor's Chair; If anyone should sit upon it – by accident or deliberately – they are obliged to buy the whole pub a round of drinks

When St Mary's Church was being rebuilt [1804-1816], baptisms were held at the pub.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Our Home & Country

See Luddenden Working Men's Club Roll of Honour

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Lord  Nelson, MidgleyRef 17-446
Towngate / Scout Head. Opened as the Black Rock Inn, Midgley in 1755.

It was renamed after the Battle of Trafalgar, in 1805.

The pub closed as an Inn 27th December 1932.

It is now a private house. The Foldout summarising the history of the Inn, was contributed by Neil Hubbard

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1785: William Clay
  • 18??: Edward Wilkinson
  • 1819: James Greenwood
  • 1820: John Sutcliffe
  • 1834: Henry Sutcliffe
  • 1840: John Walton
  • 1842: John Walton
  • 1842: John Widdup
  • 1851: John Widdup
  • 1861: Mrs Mary Widdup
  • 1866: John Widdup
  • 1874: William Walker
  • 1881: William Walker
  • 18??: John Thomas
  • 1891: William Heap
  • 1891: John Sutcliffe – [aged 48]
  • 1893: John Sutcliffe
  • 1894: Joseph Varley
  • 1897: John Sutcliffe
  • 1899: John Edward Thomas
  • 1900: Benson Bailey
  • 1905: Benson Bailey
  • 1905: Mary Meadowcroft
  • 1908: Mary Meadowcroft
  • 1908: Edward Ross
  • 1910: Edward Ross
  • 1910: John Ingham
  • 1917: John Ingham
  • 1917: Arthur Ingham
  • 1931: Arthur Ingham
  • 1931: Francis Sauby
  • 1932: Francis Sauby
  • 1932: Arthur Ingham


Lord  Nelson, RippondenRef 17-811
45 Rochdale Road.

Opened in 1878.

It was a Webster's pub in 1895, and planning applications show that it was still a Webster's pub [1911].

The pub closed in 1937

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Lord  Nelson, TodmordenRef 17-967
60 Rochdale Road / Cheapside. The pub and shops in the area were demolished in the 1970s

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Lord  Raglan, HalifaxRef 17-693
36 Hanson Lane / Raglan Street.

Named for Lord Raglan of the Crimean War.

This was originally a beer house.

In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the pub applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

It was a Webster's pub.

It had a wines & spirits licence [6th February 1941]

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Lower Bow Windows, HalifaxRef 17-1126
Haley Hill. Recorded in 1842, when he married in The Struggles of an Old Chartist and in newspaper reports of the Plug Riots

Lower George, HalifaxRef 17-114

An inn is recorded here in 1704 when George Wilkinson paid 2/4d for one pound of anchovies.

The Halifax Guardian [Saturday 28th January 1843] announced

Lower George Inn, Halifax – To be Let with immediate possession. That Respectable and Old Established Inn and Market House known by the sign of the Lower George, at the top of Woolshops, Halifax.

Apply: Stocks & Macauley, Solicitors, Halifax


Bell's London Life & Sporting Chronicle [7th April 1850] announced

a game of knur & spell with Henry Newell of Halifax, Johnny Sutcliffe of Northowram, and George Dyson of Southowram.

Stakes were to be sent to J. Whitaker's Lower George Tap


This was one of the closest inns to the Piece Hall, and was a meeting place for textile manufacturers and merchants who had come to Halifax to do business. The inn was able to accommodate a large number of coaches, wagons, and around 60 horses.

The stables were demolished in 1955.

The Yard and the inn were demolished in 1972

This is discussed in the book Sketches of Old Halifax

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1704: George Wilkinson
  • 1816: John Dawtrey
  • 1822: John Dawtrey
  • 1834: James Hiley
  • 1837: James Highley
  • 1845: John Crowther
  • 1852: John Crowther
  • 1850: J. Whitaker
  • 1864: William Edwin Foster
  • 1871: John Smith
  • 1874: John Smith
  • 1887: Samuel Lister
  • 1891: James Hopkins
  • 1894: James Hopkins
  • 1905: Fred Walton
  • 1913: Fred Walton
  • 1913: Samuel Joseph Thompson
  • 1916: Samuel Joseph Thompson
  • 1916: Thomas Pitchforth
  • 1919: Thomas Pitchforth
  • 1919: Harry Town
  • 1922: Harry Town
  • 1922: Rhoda Town
  • 1923: Rhoda Town
  • 1923: Fred Townsend
  • 1925: Fred Townsend
  • 1925: Plenny Richardson
  • 1930: Plenny Richardson
  • 1930: Harry Oldfield
  • 1931: Harry Oldfield
  • 1931: Martin Murphy
  • 1938: Martin Murphy
  • 1938: Thomas Gledhill
  • 1947: Thomas Gledhill
  • 1947: Edmund Magson
  • 1960: Edmund Magson
  • 1960: Thomas Ernest Goodman
  • 1917: Thomas Pitchforth


Lower George, RastrickRef 17-115
Raw Hill / Jumble Dyke. Opened in 18??.

The pub closed on 26th December 1926 on grounds of non-necessity – see Empress of India, Brighouse and Freemasons' Arms, Brighouse.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

David Kelly and Derrick Habergham have collected records for 3 pubs – The George, The Upper George, and The Lower George - the first 2 of which would appear to be the same hostelry.

Their contributions are used in the following list of licensees,

  • G indicates that the pub is recorded as The George or The Upper George
  • L indicates that the pub is recorded as The Lower George
  • U indicates that the pub is recorded as The Upper George or The George

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Thomas Aspinall Snr U
  • 1829: Thomas Aspinall G
  • 1834: John Eastwood U
  • 1834: Joseph Shaw U
  • 1840: John Eastwood U
  • 1840: William Shaw U
  • 1842: William Shaw U
  • 1845: William Chambers G
  • 1847: William Chambers G
  • 1847: John Eastwood U
  • 1847: Joseph Marshall U
  • 1851: John Fox U
  • 1851: Joe Eastwood U
  • 1853: Esther Eastwood U
  • 1853: James Fox U
  • 1858: Mrs Hannah Fox U
  • 1858: William Turner U
  • 1858: George Hibbert L
  • 1859: George Hibbert L
  • 1860: Mrs Ellen Hibbert L
  • 1861: Mrs Ellen Hibbert L
  • 1861: James Fox G
  • 1871: Joshua Bentley L
  • 1871: Sarah Bentley L
  • 1871: George Dyson G
  • 1874: George Dyson G
  • 1879: William Sutcliffe G
  • 1881: Elizabeth Sutcliffe G
  • 1881: Fred Sykes U
  • 1887: Fred Sykes U
  • 1887: George Littlewood U
  • 1887: J. Brook U
  • 1891: Mrs Elizabeth Sykes U
  • 1891: John Smith U
  • 1891: John Smith L
  • 1894: Mrs Sarah Smith U
  • 1895: Mrs Elizabeth Sykes G
  • 1895: Mrs Mary Smith U
  • 1895: Sam Collins U
  • 1901: Sam Collins U
  • 1901: Eli Mothersill [?] U
  • 1902: Alfred Briggs U
  • 1904: Joe Morton U
  • 1906: Fred Ormerod U
  • 1906: Joseph Morton U
  • 1906: Mark Rose U
  • 1909: Fitton Crowther U
  • 1913: W. Stuart U
  • 1914: James H. Greenwood L
  • 1914: William Clayton L
  • 1915: Catherine Stuart U
  • 1915: George Chadwick U
  • 1916: Tommy Jackson U
  • 1917: Thomas Jackson G
  • 1917: William Clayton U
  • 1???: Lucy Clayton U
  • 1918: Emily Jackson U
  • 1919: Tommy Jackson U
  • 1925: F. W. Cotton U
  • 1927: J. F. Lightowler U
  • 1928: Bert Huggett U
  • 1936: Lizzie Huggett U


In the 1861 census for Rastrick, they appear in the sequence

Question: Please email me if you can correct any mistakes in this list


Luddendenfoot Bridge TavernRef 17-786
Bridge End. Aka Bog Trap, Buck Trap, Bug Trap.

Opened in 1???

The pub closed in 1949. It was demolished in the 1960s. Public toilets now stand on the site

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 16:37 / 5th March 2024 / 63656

Page Ref: P200_L

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind