Pubs & inns



Hairy Lemon, HalifaxRef 17-577
Lord Street

Halfway House, CockdenRef 17-466
Eastwood. Recorded in 1837

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1891: Robert Sutcliffe
  • 1900: Robert Sutcliffe
  • 1905: Fred Helliwell


Halfway House, PellonRef 17-578
Moor End Road.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub was originally owned by Alderson's, and was acquired by Ramsden's 1906.

It was rebuilt in 1932, and the licence was transferred from the Elephant & Castle, Salterhebble, enabling the pub to sell drinks other than beer.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Halfway House, QueensburyRef 17-1275
Halfway between Halifax and Bradford

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Halfway House, TodmordenRef 17-1411

Halifax Exchange, HalifaxRef 17-592
Swine Market, Cow Green

Hall Inn, TodmordenRef 17-176
Haugh Lane

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: John Sutcliffe


Hambletonian, HalifaxRef 17-1037
23 Silver Street

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: Isaac Kershaw
  • 1829: Thomas Hemingway
  • 1861: Samuel Webb


Hanging Gate, EllandRef 17-1028
New Street Opened in 18??

The pub closed in 19??

Hard End Tavern, BarkislandRef 17-1348
In 1881, the New Rock was known as the Hard End Tavern

Hare & Hounds, BoothtownRef 17-1300

Hare & Hounds, GauxholmeRef 17-1203
It became the Navigation, Gauxholme

Hare & Hounds, HalifaxRef 17-1269
It has been suggested that this was the name for the Prospect, Halifax in 1839

Hare & Hounds, HalifaxRef 17-684
Clough Lane / Mill Lane

Hare & Hounds, HalifaxRef 17-96
24 Bull Green.

The Lewin family took over the inn in 1881.

The name Hare & Hounds is recorded in 1894 and the 1960s. The pub was later renamed Lewin's

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1769-1798: Edwards & Crabtree
  • 1798: Joseph Firth
  • 1818: Joseph Firth
  • 1818: Eli Wilson
  • 1829: Eli Wilson
  • 1834: James Normington
  • 1837: John Foster
  • 1839: Charles Priestley
  • 1841: John Hatton
  • 1845: Unoccupied
  • 1846: William Garforth
  • 1850: Thomas Jagger
  • 1864: Joseph Highley
  • 1st March 1870-11th February 1881: Joseph Wadsworth
  • 1874: Joseph Wadsworth
  • 11th February 1881-12th April 1881: Elizabeth Wadsworth


Hare & Hounds, Hebden BridgeRef 17-1241
Bridge Gate.

Recorded in the 18th century and the early 19th century. It was originally a house owned by James Hollinrake.

Around 1820, Thomas Horner had a shop here.

The pub was demolished in 1963

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Hare & Hounds, HipperholmeRef 17-98
Kirkgate / Denholmegate Road.

In June 1849, the newspapers reported

in one of the windows of the time, an orange tree with 6 ripe oranges, 8 green ditto and bloom, all growing. The largest ripe orange is 10 inches in circumference, and the others are in proportion

In 1867, Michael Stocks bought the property from Evan Sutherland-Walker for £690.

Around 1900, it was converted into a house.

It subsequently became a pub once more.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs.

See Rose Cottage, Hipperholme and Ann Walker

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 18??: Mrs Mary Greaves – [1775-1834]
  • 1822: James Nicholson
  • 1834: James Nicholson
  • 1840: T. Hartley
  • 1845: Thomas Hartley
  • 1864: Sidney Squires
  • 1871: Henry Shaw
  • 1874: Henry Shaw
  • 1881: John Butterworth – [aged 35]
  • 1887: Jonas Fawcett
  • 1904: Joseph Aspinall
  • 1905: Charles C. Cardwell
  • 1911: Whitfield Bray
  • 1917: Mrs Charlotte Bray


Hare & Hounds, MixendenRef 17-1175
5 Mill Lane.

This was originally a beer house

It is now [2015] a private house

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1905: Richard S. Beaumont
  • 1921: Richard S. Beaumont
  • 1921: Harry Marshall Lindgard
  • 1926: Harry Marshall Lindgard
  • 1926: Samuel Shaw
  • 1933: Samuel Shaw
  • 1933: Edgar Lockwood
  • 1940: Edgar Lockwood
  • 1940: Sidney Sutcliffe
  • 1941: Sidney Sutcliffe
  • 1941: John William Earnshaw
  • 1941: John William Earnshaw
  • 1941: John Mitchell
  • 1942: John Mitchell
  • 1942: Lewis Holt
  • 1945: Lewis Holt
  • 1945: Ivy Greenwood
  • 1946: Ivy Greenwood
  • 1946: James Greenwood
  • 1946: James Greenwood
  • 1946: Raymond Whitbread
  • 1948: Raymond Whitbread
  • 1948: Fred Roy Desmond Pearce
  • 1960: Fred Roy Desmond Pearce


Hare & Hounds, Old TownRef 17-95
Billy Lane.

Aka Lane Ends.

Opened in the 1840s.

On 14th January 1858, the body of the murdered Bethel Parkinson was put on display here

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Hare & Hounds, OvendenRef 17-1097
Peat Pitts

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1822: John Wainhouse


Hare & Hounds, RastrickRef 17-97
Oak's Green

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1845: Jonathan Hinchliffe


Hare & Hounds, StainlandRef 17-94
Sowood Green.

The inn was owned by John France of Marsden [1895].

The pub closed in 1960

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Hare & Hounds, StansfieldRef 17-99
Holme, Burnley Road.

Originally the New Inn.

The place was used as a Coroner's Court.

In May 1908, a new bowling green opened at the pub

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Hare & Hounds, TodmordenRef 17-410
Ashenhurst Road. 17th / 18th century building.

The Todmorden Hounds kept their dogs behind the pub.

It is said that a favourite hunting horse – (possibly) belonging to landlord William Ingham – was buried in the railway embankment behind the pub. The horse's stirrups and bit were kept for many years at the pub.

In 200?, this was the first Calderdale pub to introduce a no-smoking policy

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Havelock Arms, TodmordenRef 17-904
3 Salford. Aka General Havelock Arms.

This was originally a beer house.

It became the Havelock Arms [around 1870].

Named for General Sir Henry Havelock

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Hawk, BarkislandRef 17-805
Steel Lane Head.

The inn was owned by Sarah Briscoe of Bohemia, Hastings until her death in 1901. The inn then passed to Sir Musgrave Horton Briscoe 4th Baron of Crofton Hall, Wigton. In 1915, it was acquired from the family's estate by Raymond Robinson Ogden. Raymond Robinson Ogden.

The pub closed 10th February 1937 when the licence was transferred to the Wappy Springs.

See Oak, Barkisland

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Heath's, HalifaxRef 17-539
Bull Green.

In the 19th century, the building was occupied by Scratcherd & Company, wine and spirit merchants.

The pub is said to be haunted. In a TV programme in March 2006, a medium claimed to have made contact with Thomas Clarke, who supposedly died after being pushed out of a window during an argument over money

Hebble Brook, MixendenRef 17-424
The pub has had several names, including

Details in the entry for the Rose & Crown

Hebden, Hebden BridgeRef 17-1101

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1864: John Parker


Hebden Lodge Hotel, Hebden BridgeRef 17-1242
Established in the 1970s in some of the former houses at Croft Terrace. When the business closed, Moyles Hotel & Restaurant redeveloped the building

Hen & Chickens, HalifaxRef 17-372
20 Winding Road.

This was originally a beer house.

The pub closed in 1911 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Heys Restaurant, HalifaxRef 17-807
1 Bull Green.

The pub closed in 1929

Heyworth Restaurant, HalifaxRef 17-806
Southgate. Recorded around 1913.

Recorded in 1922 as Heyworth's Commercial Hotel & Restaurant

The pub closed in 1926

Hills View Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1291
In 2011, the Allan Fold, Halifax was known as the Hills View Hotel

Hinchliffe Arms, Cragg ValeRef 17-H85
Church Bank Lane.

Originally the Cragg Vale Inn, it was renamed for the Hinchliffe family in 1912.

When the church controlled the area, the vicar of St John's church had the power to demand that people in the pub attend his church services.

The pub houses a collection of tools and equipment used by the Coiners.

It was known as The Hinchliffe for a time, but is currently [2018] using the name The Hinchliffe Arms again.

This is discussed in the books Halifax Pubs and Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Reuben Bramhall

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Hobbit, NorlandRef 17-489
Hob Lane. Originally known as the West Bottom Tavern, the name was changed to The Hobbit in 1975.

It closed in 2011.

Hogs Head Brew House, Sowerby BridgeRef 17-1395
Stanley Street.

Opened 2015/2016. The brewing facility stands in a corner of the building

Hole in the Wall, Hebden BridgeRef 17-101
Stood near Buttress Brink and the Old Bridge.

The name is said to come from damage caused to the original building by the Roundheads during the Civil War.

It was here that the navvies on the Rochdale Canal, and then those of the Manchester-Leeds Railway, were paid on Fridays.

It is said that prize fights were held here.

In the 1890s, the local temperance society wanted the pub to be closed down.

Planning applications show that this was a Halifax Brewery Company pub [November 1898].

In 1899, the new Hole in the Wall was built on the site.

Again, the local temperance society protested against the construction of the new hostelry.

The old inn was demolished shortly afterwards.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Hebden Bridge Brass Band

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Hole in the Wall, Hebden BridgeRef 17-1169
Old Gate. Aka The Hole in t'Wall.

Stands near Buttress Brink and the Old Bridge.

Built in 1899 to replace – and adjacent to – the earlier Hole in the Wall. The old Inn was demolished shortly afterwards.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Hole in the Wall, TodmordenRef 17-907
Honey Hole

Holiday Inn, BrighouseRef 17-1223
This modern hotel on the Clifton hillside near Junction 25 of the M62 has had several names in its short life

Holiday Inn Express, HalifaxRef 17-1405
In March 2018, a proposal was approved to convert the Theatre Royal at Wards End, into a 91-bedroom Holiday Inn Express Hotel

Hollins, WalsdenRef 17-498
161 Hollins Road

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Holroyd Arms, RippondenRef 17-102
Originally The Stansfield Arms.

It was renamed for John Holroyd and The Holroyd family.

Between 1851 and 1856, it became the Queen Hotel

See Ripponden Co-operative Society Limited

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Holy Well Inn, Holywell GreenRef 17-540
In 1980, the name of the Station Hotel, Holywell Green was changed to the Holywell Inn after licensee Ken France discovered a well – 60 ft deep – beneath an out-house.

In February 2012, there were proposals to convert the pub into 5 apartments. This was turned down by Calderdale Council.

In ????, it became to Waggon & Horses

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1980: Ken France


Honest Lawyer, RippondenRef 17-211
A manifestation of the Queen Hotel, Ripponden

Hop Pole, HalifaxRef 17-103
8-10 Bull Green / King Cross Street.

The Bell's London Life & Sporting Chronicle [15th October 1843] announced

2 pigeon owners, Charles Hutchinson of Halifax and Ellis Braser of Southowram Bank, wagered all-comers that their pigeons would fly further. Wagers of 2 to 5 were invited, and

their money is always ready at the Hop Pole Hotel, Halifax


To Let
Inn or Public House with Brewhouse, situated in King Cross Street, near Cattle Market, known by the sign of HOP POLE

The Landlord John Sugden was retiring


The pub was demolished when the area was redeveloped in 1914.

See The Adega, Halifax

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Hope Inn, HalifaxRef 17-685
15 Winding Road / Cross Street.

This was originally a beer house

It was a Whitaker pub.

The pub closed in 1971.

It is now [2010] a restaurant Inn-Cognito.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1851: Jonas Lees
  • 1860: James Morton
  • 1861: William Tidswell
  • 1871: William Tidswell
  • 1875: Jacob Dewhirst
  • 1879: Mrs Harriet Dewhirst
  • 1881: Mrs Harriet Dewhirst
  • 1891: Thomas Henry Mitchell
  • 1901: Jonathan Tidswell Hodgson
  • 1909: Jonathan Tidswell Hodgson
  • 1905: Henry Ingham
  • 1920: Henry Ingham
  • 1920: Fred Thorp
  • 1929: Fred Thorp
  • 1929: William Burnley Smith
  • 1930: William Burnley Smith
  • 1930: William Waterhouse
  • 1932: William Waterhouse
  • 1932: Ben Nicholl
  • 1936: Ben Nicholl
  • 1936: Joseph Regan
  • 1937: Joseph Regan
  • 1937: Lewis Longbottom
  • 1938: Lewis Longbottom
  • 1938: Harry Mitchell
  • 1939: Harry Mitchell
  • 1939: Ralph Ellison
  • 1944: Ralph Ellison
  • 1944: Arthur Crouch
  • 1949: Arthur Crouch
  • 1949: Martin Patrick Carter
  • 1952: Martin Patrick Carter
  • 1952: Ellis Town
  • 1955: Ellis Town
  • 1955: Emma Town
  • 1955: Emma Town
  • 1955: Leonard Thomas Olsen


Horns, HalifaxRef 17-804
Gaol Lane. Opened in 1735.

The pub closed in 1910 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Horns, WarleyRef 17-H1
Opened in the 1770s. In 1815, it became the Maypole after the local May pole as erected nearby

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Horse & Groom, SouthowramRef 17-1323

Question: Does anyone know exactly where the pub was located, or anything else about it?


Recorded in the 1890s, when it was a Stocks pub

Horse & Jockey, BrighouseRef 17-J1131
Corner of Piggott Street / 48 Halifax Road.

This was originally a beer house.

It was a Brear & Brown pub [1884].

The pub closed on 13th June 1931

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Horse & Jockey, EllandRef 17-104
Ainley Road.

Opened in 1863. A famous widow auction took place here in 1866.

In 1895, the pub was owned by William Heap. By 1903, it had been sold to Whittaker's Brewery, Bradford. It was sold again [27th August 1917] to David Sharratt & Sons Limited.

The pub closed on 27th December 1933.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Horse & Jockey, HalifaxRef 17-1246
Popular name for the Lee Bank Hotel, Halifax account of the picture of a horse and a jockey which stood behind the bar

Horse & Jockey, Highroad WellRef 17-1131
25 Warley Road / Gibbet Street

This was originally a beer house.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1901: James Farrar
  • 1907: James Farrar
  • 1907: John William Sutcliffe
  • 1914: John William Sutcliffe
  • 1914: Mary Sutcliffe
  • 1916: Mary Sutcliffe
  • 1916: Mary Elizabeth Hey
  • 1917: Mary Elizabeth Hey
  • 1917: Fred Turner
  • 1942: Fred Turner
  • 1942: John Edward Kelly
  • 1944: John Edward Kelly
  • 1944: Joseph Hargreaves
  • 1948: Joseph Hargreaves
  • 1948: William Thomas Davies
  • 1950: William Thomas Davies
  • 1950: Leslie Griffiths


Horse & Shoes, MidgleyRef 17-1244
It became the Weavers' Arms

Horse & Trumpet, HalifaxRef 17-1306
18 New Bank, Northowram.

It was a Whitaker pub.

In 1901, Whitaker's offered to surrender the licences of the Horse & Trumpet and the California in order to be granted a licence for their new West End Hotel

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Horse Shoe, LightcliffeRef 17-105
Lidget / Lydgate. The inn stood near the railway arch and Lightcliffe Station on the Crow Nest Estate.

It was a toll-booth when the Wakefield Road Turnpike opened in 1741.

In 1867, the licence was restored after it had become a private house, The Poplars.

In 1997, the owners discovered a skull and several bones in the loft. These were found to be several centuries old. It is said that the bones were possibly linked to ghostly cries which have been heard at the house.

See John King and Ann Walker

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Horsfall's Temperance Hotel, HalifaxRef 17-1208
Mr Horsfall's Temperance Hotel was recorded in January 1852 when the annual meeting of the Freehold Land Society was held here

Question: Does anyone know anything about Mr Horsfall? or where the Hotel was situated?


Horton Street Temperance Hotels, HalifaxRef 17-1402

House at the Nook, HalifaxRef 17-616
/ Nook Houses. Cheapside.

In 1762, Timothy Hainsworth was party to the lease and release of property known as Nook Houses.

The property was later known as the Rose & Crown

House that Jack Built, StansfieldRef 17-935
The name of the Shoulder of Mutton was changed to the House that Jack Built when it was rebuilt by Jack Brook [1974].

It later became Jack's House, and remains so [2013]

Hughes Corporation, HalifaxRef 17-541
31 Square Road.

Originally, a woollen warehouse.

A diner associated with the Imperial Crown Hotel, Halifax.

It was disused for a time.

In January 2019, the Halifax Courier published a story

that a major £3m regeneration scheme to reshape large areas of Halifax town centre and improve the flow of traffic through the town, might be scuppered if plans to demolish the Hughes Corporation were resisted. The accompanying illustrations, shows that the demolished building would be replaced by shrubs & plants – to be known as the Piece Garden. Though it is not explained how a small patch of plants, duly adorned by the littering classes of the town, is any more helpful to traffic flow through the town

On 22nd January 2019, Historic England made the building Grade II listed, fighting off the pointless demolition proposed by Calderdale Council

Huntsman, MytholmroydRef 17-505
Midgley Road.

This was originally a beer house.

It gained a full licence in February 1952.

It was a Whitaker pub.

The pub closed in 1972.

It is now a private house

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 14:46 / 23rd January 2024 / 67934

Page Ref: P200_H

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind