Rishworth School Chapel

The original Rishworth school of 1725 at Goathouse is now Rishworth School Chapel.

The building has five sets of 8-light windows, and the gable end of the building has another 16-light window.

This is discussed in Ancient Halls in & about Halifax

The building has had various uses

In 1950, the chapel bell was considered to be unsafe and was removed from open belfry on gable end of chapel. It was mounted on a wooded stand, just outside the door, operated by a lever.

In the 1950s, a new porch was built.

In 1956, an oak altar was installed in the chapel by Jackson of Coley

In 1958, a wrought iron gate was installed in a stone arch, with a lamp to light the path at night.

In 1958, a new East Window was installed at a cost of £230. This comprises 12 stained glass panels depicting the arms of the

It was dedicated by the Bishop of Wakefield

Extensions built in 1961 increased the accommodation from 60 to 180. These were dedicated by the Bishop of Wakefield. The alterations also resited the East window.

See Rishworth School: War Memorials

© Malcolm Bull 2021
Revised 15:13 / 15th May 2021 / 4008

Page Ref: KK_95

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind