Rishworth Independent Church

Rishworth Independent Chapel, is also known as Independent Union Chapel, Park Nook Chapel, Parrack Nook Chapel, Parrock Nook Chapel, and Rishworth Congregational Chapel.

In November 1816, Isaac Norcliffe, John Whiteley and Jonathan Bottomley, who had all been members of Sowerby Independent Chapel, decided to establish a chapel at Parrack Nook.

The first services began on 13th May 1824, and were held in an upper room which was rented – at £3 per year – at a house at Parrack Nook.

In 1818, John Wadsworth and Joseph Norcliffe started a Sunday School. They taught the children in a room next to that used for services.

The Congregational society was formed in 1832.

In July 1832, Rev James Pridie laid the foundation stone for a new Chapel. Much of the work of building the Chapel was done by the members.

A lintel in inscribed


The 19th century panelled gallery, organ, box pews, and panelled pulpit still remain. The Chapel opened on Easter Sunday 1833. The first service was attended by Rev James Pridie, Rev Robert Bell and Rev James Hatten.

In 1836, pews were installed.

In 1850, John Crossley paid off half of the Chapel's £120 debt, on condition that the congregation could pay the rest.

In 1858, the gallery was installed at a cost of £156. It accommodated

There was only one Minister at the Chapel:

At other times, the services were conducted by visiting preachers, laymen and ministers, including

Like Union Croft Chapel, Ambler Thorn and Zion Congregational Chapel, Ripponden, the chapel chose to remain Independent after the Congregationalists and the Presbyterians merged to form the United Reformed Church in 1972

See Rev George Hunsworth, John Hunsworth, William Hunsworth, Harry Maslen, Parrack Nook, Rishworth Independent Chapel: MIs, Rishworth Independent Chapel Memorials, Rishworth Independent Chapel: Graveyard, Rishworth Baptist Chapel, The Story of Parrack Nook and Mr Worthing

© Malcolm Bull 2022
Revised 18:30 / 25th August 2022 / 6110

Page Ref: KK_31

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind