Following the Poor Law Amendment Act , many workhouses were built across the country.
The Halifax Workhouse – founded by Nathaniel Waterhouse in 1635 – closed when the Union Workhouse for Halifax and district opened on 25th March 1840. It stood between Gibbet Street and Hanson Lane, Halifax. It was built at a cost of £12,000. It was also known as Gibbet Street Institution.
William Dyer was the first Governor. It originally had accommodation for 400 paupers, and this was extended and new buildings added over the years.
In April 1857, there were 299 inmates, including 52 lunatics.
On 27th May 1872, the corner stone of the new chapel and dining hall was laid by T. Gaukroger, Chairman of the Board of Guardians.
In 1881, John Kirby was the Governor. There were 8 officers and 534 inmates.
The Chaplain of the Halifax Union Workhouse was also Chaplain of the Debtors' Gaol:
It was later known as St John's Public Assistance Institution and The Institute.
An organ by Conacher was installed around 1891. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.
From 1891, it was known as St John's Hospital.
The buildings were demolished in 1972
Revised 20:37 /10th May 2018 / kk_178 / 4843
|site search by freefind|