Churches & Chapels



Railway Mission Hall, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-282
Recorded in 1905 at Bolton Brow

Railway Mission Room, HalifaxRef 5-435
Recorded in 1905 at the Central Hall, Halifax

Range Bank Congregational Church, HalifaxRef 5-53
Opened in the 1850s by the Crossley family as an outpost of Square Congregational Church.

This was the only Nonconformist place of worship in Halifax North Ward, until New Bank Primitive Methodist Church opened in 1864.

It was associated with Union Croft Chapel, Ambler Thorn.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


The last service was held in May 1954. The Sunday school closed in August 1954.

The building was used as a factory. It was damaged by fire on 18th January 1968.

See Halifax Child Welfare Clinic

Range Bank Wesleyan Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-333
Recorded in a Halifax Courier report of 1st June 1918.

Question: Is this the same as Range Bank Congregational Church, Halifax?


Ranters' ChapelRef 5-334

Rastrick CemeteryRef 5-R97
Carr Green Lane.

Consecrated by the Bishop of Ripon on 20th August 1884.

The following people, and/or members of their family, are recorded here:


In 2006, a proposal to convert the former Chapel into a house was turned down.

See Rastrick Burial Board, Rastrick Cemetery Lodge and Rastrick Cemetery Monumental Inscriptions

Rastrick Cemetery: LodgeRef 5-880
The Lodge to Rastrick Cemetery stands in Carr Green Lane

Rastrick Methodist ChapelRef 5-R146
Aka Crowtrees Methodist Chapel, Rastrick

Rastrick VicarageRef 5-823
Ogden Lane. This was the vicarage for St Matthew's Church Built in 1807. Enlarged in 1872.

It is now a private house.

See Vicars of Rastrick

The Rectory, EllandRef 5-695
Westgate. Around 1850, Rev David Meredith sold the house and built the Rectory

Reformers' Chapel, Tuel LaneRef 5-394
Aka Tuel Lane United Methodist Free Chapel

Rehoboth Baptist Church, StansfieldRef 5-207
Opened in 18?? when the Baptists sold Rodwell End Meeting House, Stansfield to the Methodists and moved here. It closed and the congregation moved to Millwood Particular Baptist Church, Stansfield. It was later used as a barn or warehouse

Rhodes Street Wesleyan Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-R148
Stood at the junction of Rhodes Street / Cross Rhodes Street / Grape Street.

The Chapel and School were designed by J. P. Pritchett.

The corner stone was laid on 7th March 1866. The Chapel opened on 31st May 1867 and could accommodate 800 worshippers. This fine building had a spire.

The church had a noted organ. Arthur Collingwood was organist here.

Closed in 1965. It was demolished two years later.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Rhodes Street Wesleyan Memorial

Ripponden Congregational ChurchRef 5-132
Formerly known as Zion Congregational Church, Ripponden

Ripponden Graveyard: UnidentifiedRef 5-535
This abandoned graveyard stands at the junction of Hollins Lane and Small Lees Lane, Ripponden.

Contributor Ben Brundell suggests that this may be connected with the nearby Zion Congregational Church, Ripponden.

Ripponden Parish ChurchRef 5-382

Ripponden Parish Church: BellsRef 5-715
There were 4 bells in St Bartholomew's Church, Ripponden:

  • The first inscribed

    The gift of Elkanah Hoyle, gent. A. R. 1715

    In 1870, Hoyle's greatgrandson – Elkanah Hoyle Brinscombe, a silk merchant of Tadcaster – paid for the bell to be recast

  • The second:

    Venite, exultemus Domino, 1708

  • The third:

    Gloria Pax Hominibus, 1708

  • The fourth:

    O may their souls in heaven dwell, who made the least a tenor bell, 1701

When the Church of 1870 was built, four new bells were added, donations by

On 6th June 1870, the opening peal of all eight bells lasted 3 hours 12 minutes

Ripponden Parish Church: FontRef 5-716
A small font from the earlier church stands by the Mediæval Window in the Church.

The larger font was given by Frederick Edward Rawson of the Rawson family of Thorpe.

The oak font cover was made by Robert Thompson. It was dedicated in 1981 in memory of Douglas Asquith, a member of the church who died in a rugby accident

Ripponden Parish Church: WindowsRef 5-717
There are several stained and painted glass windows in St Bartholomew's Church, Ripponden

  • The East Sanctuary Window: In memory of Sarah Elizabeth [18??-1879], wife of Rev Joseph Gledhill.

    The roundel hanging in the East Window contains fragments of glass from the 15th century Church which were left over when The Mediæval Window was reassembled [1980]

On the south side

  • The Bartholomew Window: In memory of Ellis Whiteley and his wife Mary
  • The Mediæval Window: This contains fragments of glass from the 15th century Church. It was reassembled by the York Glaziers Trust [1980]. Some fragments of the glass were used to construct the roundel in the East Window.

    The small font from an earlier church stands in front of the window [2011]

  • The Gledhill Window: On 10th January 1915, the window was unveiled in memory of Rev Joseph Gledhill
  • The Rawson Window: In memory of Frederick Edward Rawson

  • The Great West Window: This was installed in 1954 with money from the Hewitt Bequest

On the north side

Ripponden VicarageRef 5-824
In November 1593, Thomas Priestley gave land for a Vicarage in Ripponden.

The present vicarage for St Bartholomew's Church stands in Priest Lane, north of the Church and the Old Bridge Inn.

The late 18th century house is said to have been rebuilt by John Watson at his own expense, although it was badly damaged by fire shortly afterwards.

See Vicars of Ripponden

Rishworth's Chapel, HipperholmeRef 5-347

Rishworth Congregational ChurchRef 5-391

Rishworth Independent ChapelRef 5-58
Aka Independent Union Chapel, Park Nook Chapel, Parrack Nook Chapel, Parrock Nook Chapel, and Rishworth Congregational Chapel.

See Rev George Hunsworth, John Hunsworth, William Hunsworth, Harry Maslen, Parrack Nook, Rishworth Independent Chapel MIs, Rishworth Independent Chapel Memorials, Rishworth Independent Chapel Graveyard, Rishworth Baptist Chapel, The Story of Parrack Nook and Mr Worthing

Rishworth Independent GraveyardRef 5-665
The burial ground for Rishworth Independent Church / Parrock Nook Congregational Church.

The following people, and/or members of their family, were buried and/or have memorials here:


Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CDs entitled Monumental Inscriptions in the Ripponden Area and Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

Rishworth Independent Union ChapelRef 5-153

Rishworth Particular Baptist ChapelRef 5-34
Oldham Road.

Aka Roadside Baptist Chapel.

There was no place of worship in the township. Local preachers held meetings in cottages there, and some people travelled to Steep Lane Baptist Chapel.

In 1801, Joseph Shaw of Salendine Nook Baptist Chapel was invited to hold monthly cottage meetings, and these soon became weekly meetings.

Land for a chapel was acquired in 1802, and a new chapel was founded in Spring 1803. In April 1803, 9 members from Steep Lane Baptist Chapel and 4 new converts established a Church.

There is a family pew for the Whiteley family. The gallery has box seating.

A Sunday School was established in 1811.

In the 1860s, doctrinal differences led to half the members leaving to form a new church. Starting out as a Baptist Church, it soon became a Congregational Church.

In 1868, a group left to form Zion Congregational Church, Ripponden.

In 18??, the Members of the Church who went to live and work in Sowerby Bridge, established a church there.

In 1887, during the pastorate of Rev J. Wilkinson, a manse was built.

In 1898, the old school was demolished and a new school built at a cost of £2,800.

It is now a private house.

Pastors at the Church have included


See Charles Hopkinson, Edward Navey, Rishworth Particular Baptist Church Memorial, Rishworth Particular Baptist Church Graveyard and Rishworth Particular Baptist Mutual Improvement Society

Rishworth Particular Baptist GraveyardRef 5-559
The graveyard of Roadside Baptist Chapel, Rishworth

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Rishworth Particular Baptist ManseRef 5-822
The Pastor's house for Rishworth Particular Baptist Chapel was built in 1887. It cost £550 to build

Rishworth School ChapelRef 5-522
The original school of 1725 at Goathouse is now the School Chapel.

See Rishworth School War Memorials

Roadside Baptist Church, RishworthRef 5-59

Roadside Baptist Graveyard, RishworthRef 5-846

Rochdale Parish ChurchRef 5-791
The Parish Church in Rochdale is St Chad's. It is now united with church of St Mary in the Baum.

Rodwell End Meeting House, StansfieldRef 5-R43
Also Rodhill End. Rodwell End Lane.

The first Independents met locally at Great House, Stansfield in the 1600s. Following a dispute over infant baptism, they later split into Baptists and Congregationalists.

In 1704, the Baptists built the first local Meeting House here, at Rodwell End. The Congregationalists stayed at Great House and later built Chapel House, Stansfield, and then moved to Myrtle Grove Chapel, Eastwood.

The Baptists sold the chapel to the Methodists and moved to Rehoboth Baptist Church, Stansfield. The Methodists later moved to Springside Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Todmorden.

John Dracup was Minister here in 1779.

The chapel closed in 1783 and became a farm store.

The foundation stone for a new chapel on the site was laid on 22nd September 1860 by W. Horsfall of Hebden Bridge. The Chapel opened in 1865. It had a joint minister with Stone Slack Chapel.

On 13th May 1875, the Chapel was sold at auction for £140 to Stead Brothers.

It was derelict for a time.

It is now a private house.

The Chapel is discussed in the book Valley of a Hundred Chapels

See Henry Clayton, Mr Faburn, Millwood Particular Baptist Church, Stansfield and West Rodwell End

Rokeby Chapel, Halifax Parish ChurchRef 5-R69
A chantry Chapel at the north side of Halifax Parish Church.

This was built in 1533 under the will of vicar William Rokeby when more space was needed in the church; Rokeby's will actually refers to the south side of the church.

The Waterhouse family of Shibden Hall used the chapel for their monuments.

On 12th May 1915, a new altar was dedicated in the Chapel.

The family restored the chapel in 1917

Rooley Lane Wesleyan Chapel, SowerbyRef 5-6
Founded 1806 by a group who left Sowerby Congregational Chapel.

Following disagreements over temperance issues, a group left to establish Providence Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sowerby.

The Chapel was enlarged [1864].

The chapel and Sunday School were opened in 1877 on the same site as Cross Stone Wesleyan Chapel which had been destroyed by fire in 1876.

Services were then held at Sowerby Green Congregational Church and then at the Sowerby Grammar School until the new Chapel opened.

The new Chapel was built by T. L. Patchett.

The list of people who were involved in the Chapel's early history included

Ministers at the Chapel have included


The Chapel closed around 1956.

The graveyard is still there, but was closed for burials in 1957.

The Chapel was demolished in the 1970s.

The graves were moved to Sowerby Bridge cemetery. Houses – Ascot Gardens – have been built on the site.

See Sowerby Methodism

Rooley Lane Wesleyan Methodist Graveyard, SowerbyRef 5-627
The graveyard for Rooley Lane Wesleyan Methodist Church, Sowerby.

The church closed around 1956.

The graveyard is still there, but was closed for burials in 1957.

The church was demolished in the 1970s. The graves were moved to Sowerby Bridge Cemetery.

Houses – Ascot Gardens – have been built on the site.

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Roomfield Baptist Church, TodmordenRef 5-R140
Built by the congregation from Millwood Particular Baptist Church, Stansfield.

The group raised £10,000 for building and property.

Four corner-stones were laid on 22nd January 1876.

It opened on 6th May 1877, and comprised a Chapel and a School.

In 1883, a manse and caretaker's house were added.

Cornwallis Johnson was Chapel caretaker here [1911].

On 12th August 1900, the organ was brought here from Hope Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge. The new organ was inaugurated on 22nd September 1900, with a recital by Dr J. Kendrick Pyne of Manchester.

Pastors at the Church have included


There was a bus crash here on 18th March 1907.

The church was demolished in 1959.

The new prefabricated building opened on 26th March 1962

See Lineholme Baptist Church, Stansfield and Roomfield Baptist School, Todmorden

Round Hill Chapel, BeggaringtonRef 5-208

Opened in 18??

Roundhill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Ambler ThornRef 5-61
Built 1823

See Roundhill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Ambler Thorn

Roundhill Primitive Methodist Graveyard, Ambler ThornRef 5-901
The burial ground for Roundhill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Ambler Thorn

The following people, and/or members of their family, were buried and/or have memorials here:

  • To be completed

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

Ryshworth's Chapel, HipperholmeRef 5-341
This appears on a list of
Decayed Chapels for want of maintenance in the reign of Queen Elizabeth [the First]

It may have been a private chapel at Coley Hall and not Coley Church

© Malcolm Bull 2023
Revised 12:35 / 16th November 2023 / 37403

Page Ref: C109_R

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind