Churches & Chapels



ParishRef 5-399
An area – a township or group of townships – and the community which is served by a parish church and the Church of England priest

See Vicars, Chapel of ease, Chapelry, Diocese of Wakefield, Poor Law and Rector

Parish ChurchRef 5-P130
Each parish had one established church, the parish church. In mediæval times, baptism, confirmation, marriage, communion and burials could only take place at the parish church. There are now around 16,000 parish churches in Britain.

See Chapel of ease, Chapelry and Church rate

Parish Church of Saint Andrew, StainlandRef 5-170

Parish Church of Saint James, BrighouseRef 5-P14
Stood opposite the bottom of Bonegate at the corner of Wellholme Park.

It was built on land bought from Mrs Camm on 25th February 1867 for £600.

It was a chapel of ease or daughter church for Brighouse Parish Church, and was needed to serve the growing population of Brighouse.

The foundation stone was laid by Rev Charles Musgrave [25th July 1868].

It was built at a cost of about £3,500 – which was raised by public subscription.

Its construction led to the unusual situation of having 2 consecrated churches within the boundary of the same parish.

It opened on 25th February 1870. It accommodated 450 worshippers.

In April 1870, the organ by Jardine was installed. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

In July 1871, 2 stained glass windows by Edward Burne-Jones of William Morris's company were installed.

Later windows included work by Ford Madox Brown and Dante Gabriel Rossetti.

On 22nd December 1894, the roof was damaged by a storm.

In July 1900, William Camm placed a window in the church in memory of his mother.

A window in the north wall commemorated the curate, Rev Alban Bodley Mace.

The chancel screen – designed by G. H. Woodhouse of Manchester – and a shrine to World War I were carved by Harry Percy Jackson.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


In 1970, 100 years after its construction, the church was declared redundant. The last public service was Evensong held on 27th December 1970. In 197?, the church was demolished and the site is now residential accommodation, St James's Court.

The stained glass windows are now in the Cliffe Castle Museum at Keighley.

See Mrs Kaye Aspinall, F. E. Hannah, St James Amateur Operatic Society and St James's School, Brighouse

This & associated entries use material contributed by Paul Hartley

Parish Church of Saint James, Hebden BridgeRef 5-149

Parish Church of Saint John the Baptist, HalifaxRef 5-P432
Halifax Parish Church is dedicated to St John the Baptist.

In November 2009, the church inexplicably became the

Minster Church of St John the Baptist

See Feast of St John the Baptist, Halifax Church Choir, Halifax Parish Church War Memorial, Halifax Vicarage, Archbishop Richard Neil, Burials inside Halifax Parish Church, St John the Baptist, Burials in Halifax Parish Churchyard, Verger's House, Halifax and Well Head House Organ

Parish Church of Saint Mark, SiddalRef 5-P151

Parish Church of Saint Martin, BrighouseRef 5-268
Brighouse Parish Church

See Mrs Kaye Aspinall, Beckwith's, Brighouse Church Institute, Brighouse Church Literary Club, Brighouse Parish Church War Memorials, Brighouse Parish Church Memorials, Feast of St Martin, Parish Church Cricket Team, Brighouse Parish Church MIs, Rydings Hall, Parish Church of St Martin, Brighouse Graveyard and Sugden Church House

Parish Church of Saint Mary the Virgin, EllandRef 5-P431
Elland Parish Church was established in the 12th century, when the district became too large for the single and distant parish church at Halifax

See John Aked, Elland Church & King Society, Elland Castle, Parish of Elland, Elland Parsonage, Elland Sunday School, Tomazia Holroyd, Huddersfield Road, Elland, James W. Mitchell, Northend Nicholl, Pancake Bell, St Mary the Virgin, Elland Memorials and St Mary the Virgin, Elland Graveyard

Parish Church of Saint Mary the Virgin, LuddendenfootRef 5-P140
Church services were held at Luddendenfoot National School until the Church was built.

Built in 1873 at a cost of £7,000 in memory of their parents by the 4 daughters of William Henry Rawson [who had died in 1865] and Mary Priestley [who died in 1870].

Incumbents and Curates at the Church have included


The church was demolished in the 1970s.

Two houses have been built on the site.

The records for the Church are held at the West Yorkshire Archive Service office in Wakefield (Collection WDP89): Baptisms [1873-1977], Marriages [1875-1976] and Burials [1873-1985].

See St Mary the Virgin, Luddendenfoot War Memorial and St Mary the Virgin, Luddendenfoot Graveyard

This & associated entries use material contributed by Angela C. Riley

Parish Church of Saint Paul, King CrossRef 5-301

Parish Church of Saint Stephen the Martyr, CopleyRef 5-P203
Church in the French neo-Gothic style built in 1861-1865 for the people of Edward Akroyd's Copley model village.

See Copley Vicarage, Halifax Monumental Inscriptions, William Heaton, William Brown Holgate, St Stephen's Church Copley Graveyard, St Stephen's Sunday School, Copley and James Thomas

Parish Church of Saint Thomas à Becket, HeptonstallRef 5-267
Aka the chapel of St Thomas the Martyr, Heptonstall.

This is the original Heptonstall Parish Church and was built between 1172 – when Thomas à Becket was canonised – and 1260.

It was rebuilt and extended in the 14th and 15th centuries, and remained in use until it was abandoned after storm damage in 1847.

The building is on the English Heritage Buildings at Risk Register

See Baptisms at the Chapels of Heptonstall & Cross Stone, Burials at the Chapels of Heptonstall & Cross Stone, John Greenwood's Charity, Graveyard of St Thomas à Becket, Heptonstall, History of the Family of Stansfeld of Stansfield, Luke Hoyle, Marriages at the Chapels of Heptonstall & Cross Stone, No One, Old Mad Sal, Bequests to Heptonstall Church, St Thomas à Becket Mission Room and John Sutcliffe

Parish Church of Saint Thomas the Apostle, HeptonstallRef 5-269
Heptonstall new Parish Church.

As a result of storm damage in 1847, the old Parish Church of St Thomas à Becket at Heptonstall was abandoned.

The new parish church by James Mallinson and Thomas Healey – dedicated to St Thomas the Apostle – was built nearby and in the same churchyard in 1850-1854.

See St Thomas the Apostle, Heptonstall Graveyard and St Thomas the Apostle, Heptonstall War Memorial

Parish of ...Ref 5-767

Park Congregational Church, HalifaxRef 5-P18
Stands at the junction of Hopwood Lane and Francis Street.

Nonconformist chapel designed by Roger Ives for Sir Francis Crossley.

Jonas Dearnley Taylor was secretary of the committee which was set up to establish the church.

Nathan Whitley was one of the subscribers to the church.

The foundation stone was laid by Sir Francis Crossley on 19th April 1867. The church was built at a cost of £11,200 for members who had left Harrison Road Congregational Church, Sion Congregational Church and Square Congregational Church.

On 24th February 1869, the Church was opened by the Rev Newman Hall. It accommodated 932 worshippers. It was built with stone from quarries at Northowram. The spire is 115 ft high.

Details of the organ in the Church can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

The Church later became the centrepoint of Crossley's new West Hill Park housing scheme.

A Sunday school was built nearby in 1875.

In 1903, stained-glass memorial windows were erected for Nathan Whitley and Jonas Dearnley Taylor.

The church was cleared of debt in February 1907.

Ministers at the Church have included


The church closed in 1980, and the Sunday School was used for services.

The caretaker's house stands between the church and the school.

In 1954, the caretaker of the church, Albert George Hall, was hanged for the murder of a local child, Mary Hackett.

In 19??, it became Park United Reformed Church.

The church has been refurbished and is now the Bembridge Park Centre.

See James Hirst, Park Congregational Church Memorial, Park Congregational Sunday Schools, Park House, Halifax and Jesse Robinson

Park Nook Chapel, RishworthRef 5-84

Park United Reformed Church, HalifaxRef 5-P20
Formerly Park Congregational Church

Park Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, BrighouseRef 5-P153
Bethel Street.

A Wesleyan chapel and Sunday School was built in 1795.

See Jonas Clayton, Finkil Chapel, Hove Edge, Wesleyan Methodist and Thomas Whiteley

Parrock Nook Chapel, RishworthRef 5-527

Parsonage House, HalifaxRef 5-820
Blackwall. Recorded in 1845, when Rev Frederick Russell was here.

This seems to have been an alternative name for the property known as Trinity House and Trinity Royd

This & associated entries use material contributed by Ivan Birch

Patmos Congregational Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-798

Patmos Congregational Graveyard, TodmordenRef 5-742
The graveyard for Patmos Congregational Chapel, Todmorden

The Chapel was demolished [1975].

The site of the Chapel and the graveyard were landscaped and made into a memorial garden

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

Patmos Independent Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-242
Burnley Road.

Aka Patmos New Connexion Chapel and Patmos Congregational Chapel.

The Chapel was founded in 1816 by the New Connexion Methodists.

It closed for a time and reopened in 1841.

It accommodated around 600 worshippers [1845].

A new chapel opened on 25th May 1879.

On 31st October 1908, a new 3-manual organ, built by J. J. Binns of Bramley, was inaugurated by Mr Gatty Sellars.

Ministers at the Church have included


Closed 1971.

The Chapel was demolished [1975].

See Christ Church, Todmorden War Memorial, Patmos Roll of Honour, Patmos Congregational Church War Memorial, Patmos War Memorial and Patmos Memorial Garden

Patmos New Connexion Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-797

Pecket Well Methodist ChapelRef 5-P169
Built in 1834. It accommodated around 600 worshippers [1845].

It is now a private house

Pellon Baptist ChurchRef 5-25
Spring Hall Lane/Long Lover Lane.

In 1837, Sion Congregational Church, Halifax transferred their little cause at Pellon to the Pellon Lane Baptists.

A Sunday School of 1876/1877 was used as their church.

On January 17th 1901, 77 members moved from Pellon Lane Baptist Church to form the Pellon Church.

A new church building – next to the church – was planned in 1910. The first sod was cut on 20th April 1912. The stone laying ceremony took place on 8th June 1912. The Church was opened on 12th April 1913 by Lady Horsfall

The former church then became the Sunday School again.

Pastors at the Church have included


See Charlton Court, Pellon, James Clay, Grace Baptist Church, Pellon, Pellon Baptist Church War Memorial, Pellon Baptist School and Pellon Library

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Smith

Pellon Church Lads' BrigadeRef 5-897
The Church Lads' Brigade at Christ Church, Pellon

Recorded around 1910, when George William Jones was a member

Pellon Lane Particular Baptist ChurchRef 5-358
In 1755, Mr Crabtree of Bradford baptised several persons to establish a Baptist cause here.

The church was built on land obtained by Rev Joshua Wood for the Society of Haley Hill Particular Baptists. It opened in 1763.

Pastors at the Church have included


The old church was demolished and a new Church was built was built on the site of an earlier chapel known as Top o't Town Chapel.

The new Pellon Lane Baptist Church opened on 10th September 1834.

In 1850, a schoolroom was built and the church remodelled.

On 6th February 1879, there was serious fire which destroyed the gallery, the organ and the roof.

The church was reopened in August 1880.

Subsequent Pastors at the Church have included


In 1837, Sion Congregational Church, Halifax transferred their little cause at Pellon to the Pellon Lane Baptists.

In 1851, 40 members left to establish Trinity Road Baptist Church, Halifax

A new organ was installed in December 1853.

In 1897, the members complained that the lines for the new tramway system left insufficient room for carriages at the chapel.

In 1901, 77 members were transferred from the Church to form Pellon Baptist Church.

The church closed around 1950

See Cornelius Ashworth, Philip Ashworth, Joshua Ernest Hoyle, Richard Hoyle, William Illingworth, Pellon Lane Particular Baptist Memorial and Pellon Lane Particular Baptist Graveyard

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Smith

Pellon Lane Particular Baptist GraveyardRef 5-904
The burial ground for Pellon Lane Particular Baptist Church

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

Pellon Primitive Methodist ChapelRef 5-202
Lemon Street / Queens Road. Opened in 1861.

In 1977, it merged with Fairfield Church to become Highgate Wesleyan Church

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Nortcliffe

Pellon Wesleyan ChurchRef 5-203
Stretchgate Lane.

On 3rd June 1861, the corner stone for a new church of a new Wesleyan place of worship at New Pellon was laid by Francis Roper. The building was to accommodate 170 persons with a school room for 150 scholars. The site faces directly on to Long Lover Reservoir The estimated cost of the land and construction was £700.

Opened in 18??.

On 8th July 1893, the foundation stone for Pellon Wesleyan School was laid by Mr G. A. Blackburn.

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

Ministers at the Church have included


See Pellon Wesleyan Football Club

Pentecostal Hall, Hebden BridgeRef 5-232
Hangingroyd Lane. In 1990, the building became a nursery

Pepper Hill Unitarian Chapel, ShelfRef 5-P282
Cross Lane.

Meetings were held in a rented cottage, but as the congregation grew, as many as 70 people attended evening services.

Alexander Stradling founded a Sunday School [1861/1862] for public worship.

The trust deed provides that the building shall be

used for the assembling of a congregation for the worship of Almighty God, and for schools and classes for religious and general improvement and instruction, and for lectures and other means of social improvement

The building measures 45 ft by 25 ft.

On 21st November 1935, the stone roof collapsed without warning and seriously damaged the pulpit, the organ and the pews. Only the gable ends of the building were left standing, one of these having a cross at the top No one was hurt. The cross, piano and memorial tablets were undamaged.

The church was rebuilt in 1936.

10 Art Deco windows were installed at a cost of £50 11/11d.

At 1005 feet above sea level, the Chapel is said to have the highest Unitarian pulpit in England.

Regular services are held at the Chapel

There is no burial ground at the Chapel.

Members of the Chapel have been buried at Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf

See Joseph Hobson Jagger

Pilkington Hall Burial Ground, MankinholesRef 5-607
In 1667, a Quaker burial ground was established at Pilkington Hall at a rent of 2 silver pence per year for 900 years

Pleasant Monday EveningRef 5-736
Abbr: P. M. E. Methodist movement for ladies in Brighouse.

See Pleasant Sunday Afternoon and Pleasant Thursday Evening

Pleasant Sunday AfternoonRef 5-737

Abbr: P. S. A.

Methodist movement which began in Brighouse in 1893.

See Elland Pleasant Sunday Afternoon Society, Pleasant Monday Evening, Pleasant Thursday Evening and Square Church Pleasant Sunday Afternoon Society

Pleasant Thursday EveningRef 5-738
Abbr: P. T. E. Methodist movement. The event was recorded at many places locally around 1900. The programme featured a devotional element, speeches, recitations, and songs.

Venues began at Waring Green [1898] and West End Congregational Sunday School, Sowerby Bridge [around 1900].

See Pleasant Monday Evening and Pleasant Sunday Afternoon

Plymouth Brethren Meeting Room, HalifaxRef 5-488
Recorded in 1887 at the Alma Street Meeting Room Halifax 34 Alma Street / St James's Road.

See The Plymouth Brethren

Polish Catholic Parish Church, HalifaxRef 5-P107

Primitive Methodist Chapel, LightcliffeRef 5-83
Bramley Lane. Aka Mount Zion Chapel. Built in 1823.

It became Bramley Lane Congregational Church [1830]

Primitive Methodist Chapel, NorlandRef 5-17
A group was formed by John Robinson around 1821, and they held their meetings at his home and in private houses, in the absence of a permanent chapel.

In 1826, they moved to Sowerby Bridge, and in 1839 they held their services in the first Sowerby Bridge Primitive Methodist Chapel.

A new Chapel opened at Norland on 10th April 1864.

In September 1896, the Chapel was refurbished and new pews installed.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


Primitive Methodist Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-315
Lumbutts Road / Knowlwood Road.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


Primitive Methodist Mission Chapel, RastrickRef 5-87
In 1922, the chapel was badly damaged by a whirlwind which destroyed the roof

Proprietary ChurchRef 5-530
Aka Private church. A church built privately and independently of the church or the state. A group of trustees bought the land, built the church, and paid the clergy. The income from pew rents funded the enterprise. These were common in the 19th century

Providence Congregational Church, EllandRef 5-21
Brook Street / Huddersfield Road.

Aka Elland Congregational Church.

Around 1820, services and a Sunday School were held in a hired room in New Street, Elland.

In August 1822, the foundation stone for a new chapel was laid. It opened on 9th July 1823. It accommodated around 350 worshippers.

In 18??, the congregation increased and there was a need for a larger church. An extension was built next door with the main entrance around the corner in Brook Street.

The original church was used as a Sunday School.

In March 1893, the Parsonage was sold and the money used to pay £300 towards the £500 debt on the Church.

When the congregation shrank again, the new church was no longer used and services were again held in the original building. In 197?, it became Providence United Reformed Church.

In 19??, the church closed. The building is now used as a Chapel of Rest There is a small forecourt with early 19th century tombstones. The extension was unused for a time until it became Bertie's Banqueting Hall.

Ministers at the Church have included


See Joseph Butterworth, Providence Congregational Memorial, Elland and Providence Congregational Graveyard, Elland

Providence Congregational Church, StainlandRef 5-P171
Beestonley Lane.

See Benjamin Taylor, Rowland Norcliffe, Providence Congregational Church, Stainland War Memorial, Providence Congregational Church, Stainland Graveyard and Southgate Methodist Chapel, Elland War Memorials

This & associated entries use material contributed by Carole Edwards Caruso, Alan Stansfield & Peter Stubbs

Providence Congregational Graveyard, EllandRef 5-905
The burial ground for Providence Congregational Church, Elland.

The following people, and/or members of their family, were buried and/or have memorials here:

  • To be completed

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

Providence Congregational Graveyard, OvendenRef 5-555
The graveyard of Providence Congregational Church, Ovenden

Providence Congregational Graveyard, StainlandRef 5-539
This is the graveyard of Providence Congregational Church, Stainland.

This is now a part of the Stainland Graveyard.

See Links to burials at Providence Congregational Church mentioned in entries in the Calderdale Companion

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CDs entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1 and Monumental Inscriptions in the Ripponden Area

Providence Congregational Manse, StainlandRef 5-821
The manse for Providence Congregational Church was built towards the end of the ministry of Rev Robert Bell at a cost of £800. A further £500 was spent in 1900

Providence Independent Church, OvendenRef 5-130
Formed around 1836/7.

Those active in the establishment of the Church included:

The Church opened on Good Friday [24th March 1837].

A new Conacher organ was opened on 4th September 1860.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


The following Deacons are recorded

  • Arthur Wilson [1885]

  • J. W. Calvert [1885]

  • John Walsh [1885]

  • Joshua Nicholl [1885]

The Sunday school at Ovenden URC Church was built around 1900.

The Church is now known as New Providence URC, Ovenden.

Records of events – baptisms, marriages & burials – at the Church were lost when the safe was stolen during the 1970s.

See Providence Church Schools, Ovenden, Providence Congregational Memorial, Ovenden and Providence Independent Church, Ovenden Graveyard

This & associated entries use material contributed by Ken Wolfenden

Providence Methodist Chapel, MidgleyRef 5-P189
The first chapel here was the Union Methodist Chapel which was built in 1818 on land bought from Edward Wilkinson.

The second (and present) building was opened in 1883, the extra land being bought from James Smith.

An organ by Kirkland was opened in 1913. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

The Chapel closed in October 1994.

It has been converted into flats.

See Providence Methodist Church, Midgley Graveyard and Providence Methodist Church, Midgley Memorial

Providence Methodist Chapel, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-204
Opened in 18??.

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register

Providence Methodist Graveyard, MidgleyRef 5-626
The graveyard for Providence Methodist Church, Midgley

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Providence Methodist New Connexion Chapel, King CrossRef 5-302
Aka King Cross Methodist New Connexion Chapel

Providence Primitive Methodist Chapel, SowerbyRef 5-363

Established by a group who left Rooley Lane Methodists on account of differences over temperance issues.

A local group was started at Pinfold Green on 9th May 1875, by members of the temperance movement who had left Cross Stone Wesleyan Chapel, Sowerby.

Memorial stones were laid on 2nd October 1875.

The Chapel opened in 1876.

The Chapel was built at a cost of £1,500. The debt was cleared by 1892.

A new organ was installed [1895].

In April 1897, the Chapel had the Providence Sick & Funeral Society [with 53 members], a Band of Hope [with 250 members], and a Sunday School [with 300 books].

The last service was held on 26th August 1961.

The building was demolished in 1964.

Houses now stand on the site

This & associated entries use material contributed by Roger Beasley & Maggie Berry

Providence United Methodist Chapel, SowerbyRef 5-795

Recorded in 1919, when Harry Selwyn Mallinson and Florence Hellowell married here

Providence United Reformed Church, EllandRef 5-169
Huddersfield Road.

Built in 1822 as Providence Congregational Church, Elland.

See Providence Congregational Church, Elland War Memorial

Providence United Reformed Church, IllingworthRef 5-120
Near 43 Keighley Road.

Designed by Matthew Naylor [1837].

Providence United Reformed Church, StainlandRef 5-205

Providence Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Queens RoadRef 5-101
Recorded in 1905. Closed in June 1947.

See Wesleyan Methodist

Pudsey Baptist Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-409

Ministers at the Church have included


PulpitRef 5-892

Pye Nest Catholic ChurchRef 5-515
It was dedicated on 13th October 1920

Pye Nest Primitive Methodist ChapelRef 5-206
(Possibly) built by the Horsfall practice.

On 27th July 1901, the memorial stones were laid

Recorded in 1905

See Pye Nest Primitive Methodist Sunday School

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 12:21 / 7th June 2024 / 58849

Page Ref: C109_P

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind