Churches & Chapels



Octagonal Methodist Chapel, HeptonstallRef 5-263

Methodist services were originally held in a local farmstead known as the Preaching House, and a Methodist congregation met at Northgate House, Heptonstall.

The Chapel was designed to John Wesley's specifications and consecrated in July 1764. This is possibly the oldest surviving Methodist chapel still in use.

See The Heptonstall Octagon 1764, Highgate Chapel, Heptonstall, Our Home & Country, Octagonal Methodist Chapel, Heptonstall War Memorial and Octagonal Methodist Chapel, Heptonstall Graveyard

Octagonal Methodist Graveyard, HeptonstallRef 5-661
The graveyard for Octagonal Methodist Chapel, Heptonstall

Ogden Primitive Methodist ChapelRef 5-247
Built in 18??. Stood on the banks of Ogden Reservoir. It was later converted to tea rooms and subsequently demolished

Old Brigg Chapel, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-234
Built in 1526 as a chapel of ease for Halifax Parish Church.

In 1821, it was superseded by Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge and was demolished.

See Frederick William Cronhelm

Old Church, HalifaxRef 5-230
In her journals, Anne Lister refers to Halifax Parish Church as the Old Church

See New Church, Halifax

Old Green Congregational Church, SowerbyRef 5-O1

Old Town Methodist Chapel, WadsworthRef 5-200
From 1863, services were held at Club Houses, Old Town. The Chapel opened in 1872.

Ministers at the Church have included


The Chapel closed after the final worship on 18th August 2013.

See John Hoyle, Old Town Methodist Memorial, Wadsworth and Old Town Wesleyan Sunday School

Old Town Wesleyan Church, WadsworthRef 5-893

Oldroyd Independent Methodist ChapelRef 5-201

Opened in 1880.

A Sunday School is recorded [around 1914].

The Chapel closed on 25th January 1938 because of declining attendance

Oliver Heywood's ChapelRef 5-C2

Orange Street Wesleyan Church, HalifaxRef 5-908
Orange Street, Halifax. Opened 24th February 1857. Recorded in 1905.

See Orange Street Day School, Orange Street Wesleyan Sunday School Memorial and Orange Street Wesleyan Sunday School

OrdersRef 5-317

Our Lady of Lourdes & Saint Malachy, OvendenRef 5-128
Nursery Lane. Aka St Malachy's Catholic Church. The present building opened in June 1962 to replace an earlier chapel of ease which had been established in 1921 in a former Anglican church at the junction of Nursery Lane and Keighley Road.

The parish was created in 1933.

Question: Can anyone tell me anything about the previous Anglican building? What was it called? When was it built?


Incumbents and Curates at the Church have included


Outlane Wesleyan ChapelRef 5-743
The Chapel was built [1877] to replace an earlier building which had become unsuitable and unable to accommodate the increasing congregation. The design was by Thomas Lister Patchett. It was described as

54 ft by 39 ft. The height from ground floor to ceiling being 29 ft 6 in. Accommodation is provided for 500 workshippers. There will be a gallery round the whole body of the Chapel, supported by octagonal moulded and enriched pillars. Access to the galleries is gained at both ends of the Chapel. The style of architecture is classic, with the front being surmounted by a bold pediment

The estimated cost of £2,200 was raised by subscription.

4 corner-stones were laid on 5th May 1877. A bottle was inserted into a cavity in one of the stones containing Methodist documents, a selection of Tory, Liberal and nonconformist newspapers, and a selection of Halifax newspapers

Ovenden Cross Catholic ChurchRef 5-516
Opened on 10th February 1921

© Malcolm Bull 2023
Revised 14:37 / 14th October 2023 / 12219

Page Ref: C109_O

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind