Churches & Chapels



National Spiritualist Church, BrighouseRef 5-216
The Spiritualists had a meeting room in Commercial Street, Brighouse [1888].

They opened their church in Martin Street / Eastwood Street in 19??

See Spiritualism and Spiritualists' Lyceum, Brighouse

National Spiritualist Church, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-287
Hollins Lane.

Established in 1874.

See Spiritualism

Naze Bottom Baptist Chapel, Hebden BridgeRef 5-N71
Charlestown Hill / Jumble Hole Road.

The Mount Olivet Chapel of 1846 was superseded by this new Chapel, designed by Sutcliffe & Sutcliffe. The Chapel was built at a cost of £2,200.

The Chapel was opened on 13th March 1909 by Mrs E. J. Crossley of Royd House, Hebden Bridge.

There was no water supply to the chapel, and baptisms were performed at Jumble Hole Dam.

The marriage of Mr & Mrs Joseph Ackroyd was the first wedding to be performed at the Chapel.

Pastors at the Church have included


The chapel closed on 5th July 1987.

It is now a private house.

The graveyard remains.

See Naze Bottom Baptist Church Memorial

New Bank Primitive Methodist ChurchRef 5-346

Built on land belonging to John Crossley & Sons.

The foundation stone was laid by Eagland Bray on 25th March 1864. There was a time capsule – a sealed bottle – containing:

  • a newspaper
  • a preacher's plan of the Halifax Circuit
  • a list of the Church trustees
  • the names of the ministers living in Halifax, and of the  architect, contractors and those who laid the stone

Mr Bray was presented with a copy of Petty's History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion.

The cost of the construction was a little over £600.

On 10th April 1864, a bazaar held in the telegraph room of the Mechanics' Hall raised £101 9/- in aid of funds for the building.

The Church opened on 11th September 1864.

It was the only Nonconformist place of worship in Halifax North Ward – although Congregationalist services had been held in the Range Bank Schoolroom.

The chapel had accommodation for about 200.

There was a school-room beneath for 200 scholars

New Beginnings Christian Centre, HalifaxRef 5-474
Wheatley Road. The building was formerly used as a Sunday School

New Church, HalifaxRef 5-228
In her journals, Anne Lister refers to Holy Trinity Church, Halifax as the New Church.

In newspaper reports of 1861, Square Congregational Church, Halifax is referred to as the New Church, Square Road, Halifax

See Old Church, Halifax

New Church, SkircoatRef 5-70
Built 1825-1828

New Longley Primitive Methodist Chapel, NorlandRef 5-816

See New Longley Primitive Methodist, Norland Graveyard

New Longley Primitive Methodist, Norland: GraveyardRef 5-817
The graveyard for New Longley Primitive Methodist, Norland

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

New Mission Church, Pye NestRef 5-354
Opened on 25th July 1907 by the Bishop of Wakefield

See St Paul's Mission Church, Pye Nest

New Mission Hall, BrighouseRef 5-372
Martin Street. Opened on 1st December 1887

New Providence URC, OvendenRef 5-678
See Providence Independent Chapel, Ovenden

New Road Chapel, RastrickRef 5-459

New Road Independent Family Church, RastrickRef 5-773
Formerly New Road Sunday School

New Testament Church of God, HalifaxRef 5-288
Aked Street [?]. Built in 1923

Newlands Meeting House, RastrickRef 5-164
Huddersfield Road.

Land was bought in 1863. The Quaker meeting house – with classrooms – was built in 1868, to replace the Snake Hill Meeting House.

It opened on 11th November 1869.

It was described as

the Cathedral of Quakerism in the West Riding

The meeting house was sold in 1958.

St Christopher's School was held here. Quaker meetings were held in a rented room.

Mrs Hilda Bentley was caretaker [1941-1968].

It closed in 1972.

It is now apartments.

See Newlands, Brighouse and Rastrick Burial Ground

Norland United Methodist ChurchRef 5-443
Norland Town Road.

In 1???, Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Chapel became Norland United Methodist Church.

The Church closed in the early 1960s.

Since 1967, the building has been a private house.

See Norland United Methodist Church Graveyard

Norland United Methodist GraveyardRef 5-676
The graveyard of Norland United Methodist Church.

The Chapel is now a private house.

The Graveyard is still open for burials

North End Chapel, BrighouseRef 5-82
Congregational society formed in 1778

North Parade Baptist Church, HalifaxRef 5-N67
In 1854, the members of the General Baptist Church, Haley Hill decided to move to

a more favourable part of town

and North Parade Baptist Church was opened on 21st December 1854.

In 1855,

a generous firm in this town

promised to pay the Chapel's debts for the next 5 years on the condition that they removed the Principal of the Chapel.

In 1858, the failing church at Lee Mount came under the care of North Parade.

In 1863, Jonathan Horsfall and a group of Birchcliffe Baptists joined the Church at North Parade on condition that a cause be established at West Vale.

Pastors at the Church have included


The manse was at Lewis Street, Halifax.

See John William Dyson and North Parade Baptist Church Memorial

North Parade Baptist Manse, HalifaxRef 5-819
The manse for the ministers of North Parade Baptist Church was at Lewis Street, Halifax

Northgate End Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-U13
Aka Northgate Unitarian Chapel, Northgate Presbyterian Chapel.

See Abel Wadsworth Dean, Elocution Society, Halifax, Fearnley Charity, Rev William Graham, Northgate End Chapel Bicentenary Memorial [1896], Northgate End Chapel Memorial, The organ at Northgate End Chapel, John Shillito, Rev Matthew Smith, Alexander Stradling and Thomas Wadsworth

Northgate End GraveyardRef 5-74
Initially, many burials were carried out at Halifax Parish Church.

Some early burials – the first was Edward Ferguson [1736] – were under the floor of the Northgate End Chapel.

The first record of a burial, after the Register Act came into force, was on 26th October 1783.

The graveyard lay immediately to the south of the Unitarian Chapel, Northgate.

Northgate End ParsonageRef 5-763
The parsonage for Northgate Unitarian Chapel stood in Winding Road.

It was built in 1784 on land given to the Chapel by John Priestley of Cross Hills, a descendant of Rev Nathanael Priestley.

In 1842, a School was built in the garden of the Parsonage

Northgate Presbyterian Church, HalifaxRef 5-496

Northgate Unitarian Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-494

Northowram Independent ChapelRef 5-67
Opened in 18??

Northowram Methodist New Connexion ChapelRef 5-374
Opened in 1821. Previously, services were held in a farmhouse at Northfield Gate.

The Chapel was demolished and a new Chapel built in 1882.

It became Northowram United Methodist Chapel

Northowram New ChapelRef 5-645
Opened on 29th June 1837

Northowram, Parish ofRef 5-N539
The township of Northowram was established in 1662.

Northowram was split off from Coley to form a separate parish on 20th December 1909.

See Northowram Parish Church

Northowram United Methodist ChapelRef 5-915
Formerly Northowram Methodist New Connexion Chapel

Northowram United Reformed ChurchRef 5-122
Formerly Heywood's Chapel, Northowram

Northowram Wesleyan Methodist ChapelRef 5-44
Lydgate / Towngate. Opened in April 1850.

This stands on the site of Oliver Heywood's Chapel which was demolished in 1836.

The building has been converted into 2 houses: Towngate House and Towngate Lodge. The Sunday School has also been converted into a house.

See Wesleyan Methodist

Norwood Green Congregational ChurchRef 5-444

Ministers at the Church have included


The building has been converted to the Cobbett Centre.

See Norwood Green Congregational Institute

Norwood Green Mission ChurchRef 5-313

Norwood Green United Reformed ChurchRef 5-199

Nursery Lane Anglican Church, OvendenRef 5-523
Stood at the junction of Nursery Lane and Keighley Road.

From 1921, it was used as a chapel of ease by the Catholic Community in Ovenden. In June 1962, it was superseded by Our Lady of Lourdes & St Malachy.

It was demolished in 19??

Question: Can anyone tell me anything about the Anglican Church and/or its name?


Nursery Lane Wesleyan Methodist Church, OvendenRef 5-92
In 1849, several members left.

It accommodated 600 worshippers [1845].

They held services at Sundial House, Friendly between 1855 and 1860, and then at Bethel Chapel, Ovenden.

Ministers at the Church have included


See Nursery Lane Wesleyan Methodist Church Memorial, Nursery Lane Wesleyan Methodist Church, Ovenden Graveyard and Wesleyan Methodist

Nursery Lane Wesleyan Methodist Graveyard, OvendenRef 5-625
The graveyard for Nursery Lane Wesleyan Methodist Church, Ovenden

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

© Malcolm Bull 2022
Revised 23:13 / 18th December 2022 / 25701

Page Ref: C109_N

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind