Churches & Chapels



Lacey's Chapel, SouthowramRef 5-158
See Chapel le Briers, Southowram

Lady ChapelRef 5-113
A chantry chapel in a parish church dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

From the mid-1200s, Christians began to venerate the Virgin Mary, and special chapels were built for her at the east end of some of the larger churches

Lane Head Primitive Methodist Chapel, BrighouseRef 5-L17
Aka Prims.

In the 1820s, as Brighouse grew in prosperity with the arrival of the canal, the Primitive Methodists from Halifax organised a mission to Brighouse. This was followed by more successful efforts in 1844, which held services in the homes of sympathisers at Thornhill Briggs.

In 1858, they had a room in Brighouse, and in 1862 the Brighouse members began a scheme of expansion, supported by Rev John Simpson.

A new Chapel was proposed at Lane Head, Brighouse. John Crossley was one of the original trustees, and the Crossley family of Halifax gave 25% of the money raised for the building.

The foundation stone was laid on 20th February 1864 by Rev Robert Harley. The Chapel opened on 28th August 1864 – with 27 members – as an outreach Chapel of the Greetland Methodist Circuit.

It stood beside the old toll-booth which was incorporated into the Chapel.

A vestry was added [1878].

As the congregation grew, a new Chapel was built and opened on 20th June 1889. The old Chapel became the Sunday School.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


In 1982, the congregation moved to join the Central Methodist Chapel.

The Chapel was demolished in 1985.

A group of modern town-houses now stand on the site.

The old toll-booth still remains.

See Lane Head Chapel Cricket Club and Lane Head Primitive Methodist Memorial

Lanebottom Wesleyan Methodist Church, WalsdenRef 5-166
The chapel and Sunday school replaced Bottomley Lane Foot Chapel.

A church was built in 1818.

The original trustees included John Fielden, Samuel Fielden, Abraham Scholfield, John Shackleton, and John Stevenson.

The Chapel was enlarged in 1843, and in 1848.

Memorial stones for a new chapel and the school were laid on 22nd March 1875. The chapel and Sunday school opened on 27th September 1876.

It closed in 19??.

It was demolished in the 1970s.

Houses now stand on the site

Ministers at the Church have included


See Wesleyan Methodist

Leadenhall Street United Methodist Church, HalifaxRef 5-900
Leadenhall Street

Recorded around 1914.

See Leadenhall Street United Methodist Memorial, Halifax

Lee Mount Baptist Church, OvendenRef 5-L134
Lee Mount Road / Batley Street. A Church was established here in 1846, the result of work done by Baptists at Ovenden.

It was dissolved in 1857 and in 1858, the failing Baptist cause here came under the care of North Parade Baptist Church, Halifax.

The Sunday School carried on, and became a branch of North Parade in 1866.

In 1869, the building of a chapel for the school was discussed.

The new Chapel opened on 29th March 1871.

In 1892, the Church of 134 members – from North Parade – became independent of North Parade. It is subsequently referred to as the Branch General Baptist Church, Ovenden.

Pastors at the Church have included


With a grant of £500 from the Twentieth Century Fund, a new Church was planned. The sod cutting ceremony took place on 6th April 1907. The foundation stone was laid on 1st June 1907. The new Church opened on 30th May 1908. It could accommodate 760 worshippers. The total cost of construction was £4,400.

A new organ by Conacher of Huddersfield was opened on 16th November 1924, and lists the names of men who served/died in the World Wars – see Lee Mount Baptist Church Memorial.

Since 2003, it has been plagued by vandalism, arson and graffiti.

See Ovenden Sunday School

This & associated entries use material contributed by Alan Longbottom & David Smith

Leeds Parish ChurchRef 5-788

Licensed ChurchRef 5-775
A church cannot be consecrated until all outstanding debts on the church have been paid. Until then, it is a licensed church

Lightcliffe ChurchesRef 5-419
The main Anglican churches is Lightcliffe have been

Lightcliffe Congregational ChurchRef 5-312
Leeds Road.

Opened on 18th October 1871 to replace the smaller Bramley Lane Church. The old church was then used as a Sunday School.

The new church was designed by Lockwood & Mawson. Built on land bought by John Crossley. Sir Titus Salt gave £2,000 towards the construction and was Chairman of the committee. The total cost of the land and the construction of the Church and the Manse – which stands to the north of the Church – was £10,050.

On 22nd August 1870, Salt's daughters, Helen, and Ada, laid the foundation stone. The church opened with sermons by Rev Thomas Binney and Rev Newman Hall. The vestry carpet was produced by Crossley's Carpets and that in the chancel was produced by Firth's Carpets.

Sir Algernon Firth worshipped at the Church.

The spire was completed shortly afterwards. Sir Titus Salt gave the clock, and his family gave the octagonal Caen stone pulpit.

The organ by F. Booth of Wakefield was installed in 1872 at a cost of £1000. Samuel Smith was involved in its construction.

Incumbents at the Church have included


A new Sunday School and lecture rooms were built in 1892.

2 of Sir Titus Salt's children – Whitlam and Mary – were buried here before being exhumed 10 years later and buried at Saltaire.

In 1975, the members decided to move out of the church.

Around 1978, the main church was converted to industrial use, and church services held in a smaller building nearby.

In 1980, the church was sold and became a craft centre.

The church spire is a landmark and visible from a distance.

See John Holland, Lightcliffe Congregational Church War Memorial and Lightcliffe Congregational Church Young Men's Society

Lightcliffe Old ChurchRef 5-L51
The Church was built in 1774, and was dedicated to St Matthew the Apostle, and replaced the earlier Eastfield Chapel which stood nearby.

See Chantry, Gibson Charity, Lightcliffe Graveyard, Susan Sunderland and Richard Westmacott

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Nortcliffe

Lightcliffe Old Church GraveyardRef 5-L339
The graveyard of Lightcliffe Old Church was licensed for burials in 1668.

In 1865, the graveyard was extended.

See Brighouse Cemetery, Friends of St Matthew's Churchyard, Lightcliffe, In the Shadow of Lightcliffe's Old Tower and People of interest in Lightcliffe Churchyard

Lightcliffe Parish ChurchRef 5-299
Eastfield Chapel was endowed in 1536. In 1775, it was rebuilt a little further along Wakefield Road and was known as Lightcliffe Old Church. In 1875, the new St Matthew's Church was built nearby and the old church became the cemetery chapel

Lightcliffe Road Chapel of Rest, BrighouseRef 5-411

Lightcliffe United Reformed ChurchRef 5-L132
See Lightcliffe Congregational Church

Lightcliffe VicarageRef 5-734
There have been several vicarages for the churches in Lightcliffe:

  • Lightcliffe Vicarage [1634]:

    The Curate's House for Eastfield Chapel, Lightcliffe was built in 1634 and stood near the south-west corner of the Chapel.

    In 1865, it was rebuilt and moved and now stands in Till Carr Lane

  • Lightcliffe Vicarage [1881]:

    Stands at the junction of Wakefield Road & Westfield Drive. This was built to replace the Vicarage of 1634 for Eastfield Chapel, Lightcliffe.

    The original title deeds which show a one-acre building plot which was purchased in 1852 by the church (Ripon diocese) from a Mr Priestley. At that time the site was an open field – known as Four Days' Work – adjoining the newly opened railway on the south side, and Miss Walker's land on the east. It is not yet known when the house was actually built.

    Recorded in 1881, when the first vicar, Rev George Bagot was living here.

    The property was sold in 1899 and was superseded by the Vicarage behind St Matthew's Church.

    The building was later divided into 2 dwellings.

    In the 1950s, the property was known as Abbotsford,

  • Lightcliffe Vicarage [1898]:

    Stands behind St Matthew's Church, away from the road, at 100 Wakefield Road.

    The property was designed in the Arts & Crafts / Vernacular Revival style by Joseph Frederick Walsh [1898].

    Major Johnston Jonas Foster and his family were associated with the building of the Vicarage.

    Walsh used turned stone on the building.

    Around 1974, the property was sold and superseded by the present Vicarage.

    It is now a private house.

    It is a Grade II listed building.

  • Lightcliffe Vicarage [Modern]: Wakefield Road

This is discussed in the book Our Home & Country.

See Vicars of Lightcliffe

This & associated entries use material contributed by John Brooke, Barbara Stephenson & Howard Varley

Lighthazels Chapel, SoylandRef 5-229
Known as Lighthazels United Methodist Chapel / Lighthazels Methodist New Connexion Chapel.

Opened in 1816 by a group who had left Stones Methodist Church, Ripponden.

Recorded in 1905. Closed in 19??.

The Chapel was demolished.

See Lighthazels United Methodist Memorial

Lilly Lane Catholic Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-402
In the 19th century, a house in Lilly Lane was used as a Catholic chapel by Father Dubois and Father Letellier for the first Roman Catholic services to be held in Halifax since Henry VIII and the Reformation. This was demolished in 19??

Between 1830 and 1837, Catholics worshipped at the Assembly Rooms

Lindwell Primitive Methodist Church, GreetlandRef 5-L143
A Primitive Methodist Society was started here in 1821 by Rev Jeremiah Gilbert and Thomas Halliday.

A church was built by subscription in 1836 and opened 1837.

It accommodated around 180 worshippers.

It was extended in 1897.

There was a day school here.

The building stands on the skyline of Lindwell.

In 2002, the church merged with Greetland Methodist Church to become Greetland & Lindwell Methodist Church. Both buildings are still retained [2009].

In August 2012, proposals were announced to close the Church.

The last service was held on 7th July 2013, followed by another at the well.

The property was put on the market.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Henry H. Howard, Lindwell Primitive Methodist Memorials, Greetland, Lindwell Primitive Methodist Graveyard, Greetland, Young Men's Mutual Improvement Class, The Little Church ... and Oatland House, Greetland

This & associated entries use material contributed by Geoff Butler

Lindwell Primitive Methodist Graveyard, GreetlandRef 5-536
The burial ground for Lindwell Primitive Methodist Church

See The Little Church ...

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

Lineholme Baptist Chapel, StansfieldRef 5-L250
Aka Bethel Baptist Chapel, Lineholme.

Services were held in a room at Naylor's Mill, Lydgate by members of Shore Chapel.

Lineholme Chapel was founded in 1816 and opened on 1st January 1819.

In 1854, a larger Chapel was built on neighbouring land.

In 1859, a group of Baptists left to go to Lydgate Baptist Chapel.

Pastors at the Church have included


The building was affected by dry rot.

The Chapel closed in July 1962 and members moved to Roomfield Baptist Chapel. The Chapel was demolished shortly afterwards.

The graves were moved to Shore Chapel.

Flats were built on the site

See Lineholme Baptist Sunday School, Stansfield

Lineholme Baptist Graveyard, StansfieldRef 5-740
The graveyard for Lineholme Baptist Church, Stansfield.

The Church was demolished in the 1960s.

The graves were moved to Shore Church

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

Lister Lane Cemetery, HalifaxRef 5-L296

Lister Lane Methodist Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-193
Opened in 24th May 1854.

William Corke is recorded as conducting services here [1859]

Lister Lane Mission, HalifaxRef 5-899

Question: Does anyone know anything about the Mission?


See Lister Lane Mission, Halifax

Lob Mill Primitive Methodist ChapelRef 5-441

Ministers at the Church have included


Lower Wyke Moravian ChurchRef 5-51
The Chapel was built in 1753.

It was recognised as a Moravian congregation in 1755.

John Wesley and Rev William Grimshaw preached here.

A girls' school and a sisters' house were added later.

The Sunday School opened in 1881.

See Fulneck, West Yorkshire and Lower Wyke Moravian Church War Memorial

Lower Wyke Moravian GraveyardRef 5-560
The graveyard of Lower Wyke Moravian Chapel

Luddenden CemeteryRef 5-673
The graveyard of St Mary the Virgin, Luddenden was closed for burials in 1853. Luddenden Cemetery, established by the Luddenden Burial Board, was opened in 1860

There is a Mortuary Chapel in the Cemetery.

The Cemetery is connected to St Mary's Church and the Graveyard by a bridge

Luddenden Dean Wesleyan ChapelRef 5-L138
Opened Christmas Day, 1828.

A Sunday School was opened 50 years later.

The church was completely destroyed by fire in January 1954, as described in the Foldout.

Services were held in the Sunday School from 1955 until 1978 when – with a congregation of 8 – it closed.

See Luddenden Dean Wesleyan Chapel Graveyard, Luddenden Dean Wesleyan Chapel War Memorial and Thomas Midgley

This & associated entries use material contributed by Sue Johnson

Luddenden Dean Wesleyan GraveyardRef 5-726
Luddenden Dean Wesleyan Chapel was destroyed by fire in 1954, but the graveyard remains.

The graveyard is still there.

In the graveyard, there is a communal grave to the orphans who died whilst working at Calvert's Mill at Wainstalls Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

See Halifax and Us

Luddenden VicarageRef 5-932
The vicarage for St Mary the Virgin, Luddenden.

It overlooks Luddenden Brook

See Vicarage Mill, Luddenden

Luddenden Wesleyan ChapelRef 5-38
Aka Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel. Chapel Street / Halifax Lane.

Opened in 1837.

It accommodated around 300 worshippers [1845].

It is now private housing.

The Chapel closed in 1961.

Ministers at the Church have included


See Luddenden Wesleyan Chapel War Memorial

Luddendenfoot Catholic ChurchRef 5-37
Opened in 18??

Luddendenfoot Catholic MissionRef 5-514
Established in the 1870s by Father Joseph Geary for the small body of Catholics in Luddendenfoot. They were later joined by Catholics from Sowerby Bridge.

Fortnightly meetings were held in Luddendenfoot Co-operative Hall.

Around 1897/8, Father Tillman, the first parish priest for Hebden Bridge, was involved in the construction of what became St Walburga's Catholic Church at Luddendenfoot

This & associated entries use material contributed by John Needham

Luddendenfoot Congregational ChurchRef 5-112
Burnley Road / Station Road.

From 1851, the local Congregationalists met in the Denholme Schoolroom.

In 1859, Robert Whitworth & Company built the Church and a dwelling house costing around £5,500 near their factory. The Church opened on Good Friday, 21st April 1859.

The lower part of the building was built for use as a school for the mill workers.

There are monuments to John Whitworth and his widow, Mary Ward Whitworth.

Ministers at the Church have included


Education provided by the school was superseded by Luddendenfoot Board School in 1894.

In 1964, the church merged with Sowerby Congregational Church to become Luddendenfoot United Reformed Church.

The last service was held at the Church in June 2000.

The building was converted into flats [2003].

The Church, Manse and Chapel house are listed.

See Denholme United Methodist Chapel, Luddendenfoot, Luddendenfoot Congregational Church War Memorials, Luddendenfoot Congregational Churchyard and Luddendenfoot Congregational Savings Bank

Luddendenfoot Congregational ChurchyardRef 5-498
The chapel yard at Luddendenfoot Congregational Church has been used for burials.

The following people, and/or members of their family, are recorded here:


Luddendenfoot United Methodist Free ChapelRef 5-156
Recorded in 1896, when Rev Samuel Chester was Minister.

Demolished in the 1960s when property on Burnley Road was cleared.

See Luddendenfoot United Methodist Free Chapel Memorial

Luddendenfoot United Reformed ChurchRef 5-L149
Formerly Luddendenfoot Congregational Church

Luddendenfoot Wesleyan Methodist ChurchRef 5-250
Built in 1832.

Founding members included William Thompson, George Thompson, Samuel Smith, William Smith, and John Horsefield.

Horsefield was given the contract to build the Church on the conditions that he was to complete it for £52 by 15th March 1832, and that he was to pay 1d for every day that the work ran beyond that date, and was to receive 1d for every day that the work was completed before that date.

A Sunday School was run for

the poorly-clad and poorly-fed of the community

It accommodated 250 worshippers [1845].

The Church was enlarged in 1861.

Ministers at the Church have included


See Wesleyan Methodist

Lumb Lane Methodist ChapelRef 5-656
Sowerby Bridge. Built in 18??

Question: Can anyone tell me anything about the Chapel or its name?


Lumbutts Mission RoomRef 5-500
Associated with St Paul's Church, Cross Stone [1888]

Lumbutts United Methodist Free ChapelRef 5-L248

In 1837, there was a split in the congregation of 139 members at Mankinholes Chapel, and the United Free Methodists left and built this, their own Chapel. It opened on 9th July 1837.

The building was both Chapel and Sunday school, and measured 12 yards square. The scholars occupied the lower level and the congregation sat in raised pews on either side.

It was rebuilt when larger premises were needed. The corner stones were laid on 8th May 1877. The Chapel opened in 1878 on the site of – and using some of the materials from – the first Chapel. There is a school on the ground floor, beneath the Chapel.

The organ – known as the Old Lady of Lumbutts – was installed in 18?? In 1989, it was restored by the local villagers at a cost of £11,500.

The wooden lectern at the Chapel was used at Remembrance Day services at the Cenotaph in London. When the lectern was replaced, it was saved by Iris Greening, a secretary at the Foreign Office, who subsequently gave the lectern to the Chapel in the 1980s, in memory of her brother and a local doctor who are both buried at the Chapel.

Some of the stained glass in the Chapel comes from the demolished Mankinholes Chapel.

This and Todmorden Burial Ground are currently [2008] the only burial grounds in Todmorden which have spare places.

In October 2010, the Council put forward a proposal to extend the graveyard and make it a new local cemetery. This was rejected by local residents.

The Chapel closed after the final worship on 22nd September 2013.

See Lumbutts United Methodist Chapel Memorial and Lumbutts United Methodist Chapel Graveyard

This & associated entries use material contributed by Linda Briggs

Lumbutts United Methodist Free GraveyardRef 5-662
The graveyard for Lumbutts United Methodist Free Chapel

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

Lydgate Baptist Church, TodmordenRef 5-L249
Kitson View, Lydgate.

Aka Mount Olivet Baptist Church.

In 1859, a group of Baptists left Lineholme Church. The new Church consisted of about 50 members. They first worshipped in a cottage, and then in the uncomfortable top room of a disused mill at Newgate Bottom.

In 1860, they rented a room at Arch View, Todmorden for

£10 per annum ... including gas

Here, they baptised 5 new converts in a nearby stream.

In 1861, they invited Rev James Dearden to be Minister.

On Whit Tuesday 1865, they began to build a Chapel, the members digging out the soil. This opened on 13th February 1866. It accommodated around 700 worshippers. It cost £1,500.

A new organ was inaugurated on 8th May 1868

Pastors at the Church have included


On 4th October 1913, corner-stones were laid for new classrooms at the Church.

The Church was demolished around 1955.

See Lydgate Baptist Sunday School, Todmorden

This & associated entries use material contributed by David Smith

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 12:21 / 7th June 2024 / 47151

Page Ref: C109_L

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind