Churches & Chapels



Caddy Field Wesleyan Methodist ChapelRef 5-182
Jubilee Street, Trooper Lane.

Aka Jubilee Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.

Opened in 18??.

It was an imposing building towering over Swan Bank.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


Closed in 19??.

In 1967, it was converted to a warehouse.

The graveyard was used until 1969.

In 1993, about 1,200 graves were exhumed and moved to another site.

Question: Does anyone know any details of the graves, or to which site the graves were moved?


Apartments – known as Caddy Field Flats – were built on the site

See Caddy Field Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Memorial and Wesleyan Methodist

Calderdale Community ChurchRef 5-47
Established at St James's Street, Halifax in 1???.

They later met at St Mary's Community Centre.

In October 1995, they bought the Park Road Baths building and refurbished it for their church. The first phase was completed in December 1997. In 2001, the second phase was completed, and the baths were converted into the Calderdale Community Church. It is now known as King's Church

Cartledge Yard, BlackleyRef 5-769
The small burial ground which James Cartledge laid out for burials at Blackley Baptist Church.

See Blackley Baptist Graveyard

Castle Grove United Free Methodist Church, TodmordenRef 5-183

Opened in 1859.

A new church was built in 1906 because the old chapel was demolished when the railway line was widened.

A new organ was inaugurated on 25th August 1909.

See Jeremiah Crossley and Edgar Halstead

Castle Street Primitive Methodist Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-184
Stansfield. They held their first anniversary at the Rose & Crown, Todmorden. The Chapel opened in 1832.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


The corner stone for a new chapel was laid by Abraham Binns in 1887

Catholic Apostolic Church, BrighouseRef 5-139
Bank Street. Opened 18??.

Closed 19??

Catholic Apostolic Church, HalifaxRef 5-428
Heath View Street. Recorded in 1905

Catholic Apostolic Church Mission Room, HalifaxRef 5-429
Recorded in 1905 at Burton Buildings, 42 South Parade

Central Madni MosqueRef 5-131
Gibbet Street, Halifax. Aka Jamia Masjid Ahl E Hadith Mosque. A purpose-built mosque to serve the Park Ward of Halifax. Built in 1984 on a site between Gibbet Street and Lister Lane, next to the Halifax General Cemetery.

In February 2010, proposals were announced to expand the facilities at the mosque.

See Century Works, Halifax and Islamic Education Centre, Halifax

Central Methodist Church, BrighouseRef 5-C53
Rydal Mount. Aka Bethel Methodist New Connexion Church.

Around 1850, the site was acquired for a New Connexion chapel.

A subscription was begun in 1902 to raise the money.

The new Church was built in 1905 in the Arts & Crafts Perpendicular style by John Wills & Son of Derby. It was a successor to Bethel Chapel, Brighouse.

The School opened in March 1906 and the Church was opened on 2nd March 1907 by the Lord Mayor of Leeds.

The Church cost £10,000.

It was the home of the New Connexion methodists when they moved from 22 Bethel Street.

The Church contains work by Harry Percy Jackson.

On 4th October 1913, a new organ and memorial stained glass windows were unveiled.

In 19??, the School and the Church were combined into one building

In 1982, the congregations from several local chapels including Lane Head Methodists, Thornhill Briggs Methodist, and Park Chapel, joined that of the Central Methodist Church.

In December 1985, fire destroyed part of the roof, the organ and furnishings. Services were held in the Sunday School whilst the Church was restored

Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Central Methodist Church, Brighouse War Memorials and Clifford Riley

Chantry chapelRef 5-303
A chapel endowed for the celebration of masses, especially for the soul of the founder of the chapel.

See Bridge chantry, Chantry, Holdsworth Chapel, Halifax Parish Church, St Nicholas's Chapel, Elland parish Church, Petty School, Rokeby Chapel, Halifax Parish Church, St John the Baptist's Chapel, Elland parish Church and Willeby Chapel, Halifax Parish Church

ChapelRef 5-305
A small church which does not have parochial status but is dependent upon a parish church. The name is also used for a small building or room set aside for worship within a church or a cathedral. Large churches or cathedrals might have many chapels dedicated to different saints.

In later medieval times, unlike a church, a chapel did not have burial rights, a priest, a parish boundary or the right to collect tithes.

The word is also used for a Nonconformist place of worship.

Chantry chapel and Lady Chapel

Chapel Fold Meeting House, HalifaxRef 5-360
In 1763, Titus Knight established a small independent meeting house in 2 houses at Chapel Fold, Halifax.

Trustees of the meeting house were

Services were held here until Square Chapel was built.

See Smithy Stake, Halifax

Chapel le Briers, SouthowramRef 5-134
A chapel of ease built by John Lacey of Cromwellbottom Hall in 1530.

The Chapel closed, between 1547 and 1549, when all free chapels were confiscated by the Crown.

Lacey's Chapel, Southowram appears on a list of

Decayed Chapels for want of maintenance in the reign of Queen Elizabeth [the First]

The church reopened, but closed once more for lack of maintenance in 1602.

It was renovated in 1630.

In the 17th century, Rev Christopher Taylor was minister here before leaving his living to become a Quaker.

In 1816, the Chapel was superseded by the new St Anne's in the Grove Church which was nearer to the village.

The font from the old chapel was taken to the new church

Chapel of EaseRef 5-297
A chapel built for worshippers in large parishes who are some distance from the parish church.

In mediæval times, these were for worship only, and burials could only take place at the parish church. Even when burials could be made at the chapels, the people must go to the parish church to take communion and to get married.

In 1695, Camden tells of 11 such chapels in Halifax.

Surviving examples include those at:

Elland Church and Heptonstall Church had parochial rights.

The priests at the chapels were paid by the Vicar of Halifax.

See Parochial rights

Chapel of RestRef 5-412
A place where the dead are held prior to the funeral. Religious services are held here prior to the interment or cremation. They are usually commercial businesses.

Some local examples include Beechroyd Chapel of Rest, Sowerby Bridge, Clare Road Chapel of Rest, Halifax, The Funeral Home, Halifax, Gibbet Street Chapel of Rest, Halifax, Lightcliffe Road Chapel of Rest, Brighouse, Providence Congregational Church, Elland, Saint George's Chapel of Rest, Saint John's Chapel of Rest, Rastrick and Turner Chapel of Rest, Bell Hall

Chapels (Nonconformist)Ref 5-890
Historically, the Dissenters' place of worship was known as a Chapel, but this usage subsequently changed to Church.

Some differences between such Chapels and Anglican or Roman Catholic Churches are:

Charlestown, Parish ofRef 5-C8003
The parish for St Thomas the Apostle, Claremount was formed in 1862

Christ's Chapel, EllandRef 5-352
South Wells.

On 5th June 1866, a new chapel was opened to supersede the earlier Elland Unitarian Chapel.

The Chapel closed in 1911

Christ Church, BarkislandRef 5-72
Scammonden Road. Anglican church built in 1820 by Mallinson & Healey

See Barkisland Vicarage, Christ Church, Barkisland War Memorial, Christ Church, Barkisland Graveyard and Henry Gaukroger

Christ Church Graveyard, BarkislandRef 5-533
The graveyard of Christ Church, Barkisland.

Christ Church Graveyard, PellonRef 5-565
The graveyard of Christ Church, Pellon.

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Christ Church Graveyard, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-568
The graveyard of Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

Christ Church Graveyard, TodmordenRef 5-572
Aka Todmorden Burial Ground.

The graveyard of Christ Church, Todmorden lies to the north end of the Church, off Burnley Road.

It opened in 1832 to replace the graveyard at St Mary's Church, Todmorden.

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

Christ Church, HipperholmeRef 5-140
This was formerly Hipperholme Methodist Chapel.

Details of the organ in the Church can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register

Christ Church, King CrossRef 5-310
Skircoat Moor Road.

Built by Rev Jonathan Akroyd for his own use in 1826.

It opened for divine worship on 1st January 1827.

This was the first church in the Skircoat township.

Akroyd tried to make the church popular, but this failed. It was never consecrated.

In 1840, it was bought by the Methodists from Gainest Cottage Sunday School. It was opened as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel by Rev Robert Newton on 28th December 1840. It later became King Cross Methodist New Connexion Chapel

Christ Church, PellonRef 5-C263
A Million Pound Church.

Rev William Gillmor was a major supporter in the construction of the Church.

For 5 years prior to the construction of the church, services had been held in a rented room at Mount Pellon.

In 1853, the sisters, Mrs Lancashire and Mrs Brooke, gave £400 and the land for building Pellon Church and Parsonage.

Samuel Webster was one of the subscribers to the construction.

The Gothic Anglican Church designed by Mallinson & Healey, was built in 1854. It accommodated 300 worshippers.

The 3 bells in the tower were the gift of John Gott, and the clock was the gift of his wife.

Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

The widow of Rev George Kinnear gave a window in his memory.

The Church was enlarged in 1902 and reopened on 25th April 1903.

A panel in the memorial to World War II was carved by Harry Percy Jackson

The records for the Church are held at the West Yorkshire Archive Service office in Wakefield (Collection WDP57): Baptisms [1854-1978], Banns [1962-1987], Marriages [1855-1998] and Burials [1854-1947].

See Christ Church, Pellon Incumbents, Christ Church, Pellon Memorials, Christ Church, Pellon Graveyard, Parish of Mount Pellon, Pellon Church Lads' Brigade and Horace Smith

Christ Church, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-C130
This is Sowerby Bridge Parish Church, aka the Episcopal Chapel.

See The Bache, Warley, Christ Church Friday Evening Bible Class, Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge Graveyard, Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge War Memorial, Christ Church Sunday School, Sowerby Bridge, Henry Gaukroger, Sowerby Bridge Vicarage and James Whitaker

Christ Church, TodmordenRef 5-C304
Christ Church, Todmorden is Todmorden's second parish church, after St Mary's.

The church was built by Lewis Vulliamy under the Million Pound Act

See Christ Church, Todmorden Graveyard, Christ Church, Todmorden War Memorial, Todmorden Burial Ground, Todmorden Vicarage, The Vicarage murder and William A. Wrigley

Christadelphian Hall, DudwellRef 5-C295
Chapel Lane / Falcon Street.

Opened on 27th March 1965 in the renovated former Salterhebble Methodist Church

Christadelphian Hall, EllandRef 5-43
Victoria Café, Elizabeth Street. Opened in 18??.

In 1905, it is recorded at Southgate, Elland

Christadelphian Hall, HalifaxRef 5-C2951
Balmoral Place.

This was at Bedford Square [1874], and 10 Harrison Road and Central Hall, Halifax [1905]

Christadelphian Hall, Sowerby BridgeRef 5-C2950
Wharf Street / Tuel Lane.

Opened in 18??. Recorded in 1905.

It is now [2015] a restaurant

See George Oakes

Christadelphian Hall, TodmordenRef 5-255
Roomfield Buildings. Opened in 18??.

See Christadelphian Meeting Room

Christadelphian Hall, West ValeRef 5-14
Permanent Buildings. Opened in 18??

Christadelphian Hall, WykeRef 5-C2952
Opened in 18??

Christadelphian Meeting Room, EllandRef 5-447
Recorded in 1894 & 1905 at Central Hall, Elland

Christadelphian Meeting Room, TodmordenRef 5-446
Recorded in 1905 at 9 Union Street.

See Christadelphian Hall

Christadelphian Mission Room, HalifaxRef 5-487
Recorded in 1887 & 1894 on Richmond Street between Alma Street and Stannary Street

Christian Brethren Meeting Room, BrighouseRef 5-451

Christian Brethren Meeting Room, EllandRef 5-450
New Street. Recorded in 1905

Christian Brethren Meeting Room, HalifaxRef 5-405
Recorded in 1874 at Alma Street, Halifax

Christian Brotherhood Meeting Room, HalifaxRef 5-431
Recorded in 1905 at Smith Street

Christian Science Meeting Room, HalifaxRef 5-475
Opened at Cow Green on 10th December 1907. On 4th April 1909, they opened a new room in Central Street

Christian Science Society, HalifaxRef 5-473
3 Well Head Lane / Savile Road

Church Lads' BrigadesRef 5-882

See Halifax Church Lads' Brigade, Illingworth Church Lads' Brigade, Mytholmroyd Church Lads' Brigade, Pellon Church Lads' Brigade and Todmorden Church Lads' Brigade

Church Lane Chapel, HalifaxRef 5-C1
A small, new chapel which opened at Church Street in 1752 when the congregation moved from the Cow Green preaching room. In 1777, the chapel was replaced by the new South Parade Chapel

Church Mission Rooms, RastrickRef 5-370
Opened 19th August 1854

Church Mission, TodmordenRef 5-925
Oak Street, Shade.

In 18??, Friths Old Mill, Walsden became the Church Mission, Shade.

Later, it was known as St Aidan's Church Mission

Church of Christ ScientistRef 5-512
See Church of Christ Scientist, Brighouse, First Church of Christ Scientist, Halifax and Second Church of Christ Scientist, Halifax

Church of Christ Scientist, BrighouseRef 5-524
In 1969, they bought Phoenix House. They occupied the building for over 20 years

Church of EnglandRef 5-321
Aka The Anglican Church.

The established Christian church in England from the time of Henry VIII.

See Baptism, Marriage and Nonconformism

Church of England Mission Room, BrighouseRef 5-144
Commercial Street. Opened in 184?

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, HalifaxRef 5-C303
Stafford Road

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, LindleyRef 5-458

Church of the Holy Nativity, MixendenRef 5-H323
Sunny Bank Road. Anglican church. Lord Savile laid the foundation stone in July 1954. The church was dedicated on 13th December 1955.

Incumbents and Curates at the Church have included


In 2007, a campaign of vandalism was reported against the church.

The records for the Church are held at the West Yorkshire Archive Service office in Wakefield (Collection WDP205): Baptisms [1958-1973] and Marriages [1958-1977].

Church Of The Holy Trinity, QueensburyRef 5-324
A Million Pound Church designed in Gothic Revival style by James Mallinson [1843].

In 1885, it was restored by Francis and Thomas Henry Healey. The Chancel was added at this time.

The tower was rebuilt in 1906.

The east window commemorates John Foster and his wife Ruth.

The graveyard and Queensbury Cemetery lie east of the Church.

The records for the Church are held at the West Yorkshire Archive Service office in Bradford (Collection BDP80): Baptisms [1845-2000], Banns [1876-1993], Marriages [1845-1987] and Burials [1845-1907].

Churches to housesRef 5-195

Churchfields Hall, BrighouseRef 5-449
Churchfields Road. A Christian Brethren meeting place. A new hall was built in 199?

Clare Road Chapel of Rest, HalifaxRef 5-410

Claremount Primitive Methodist ChurchRef 5-185
Claremount Road. Opened in 18??. Recorded in 1899.

It is now a children's nursery

Clay Fields Meeting House, BarkislandRef 5-326
Quaker meeting house. Recorded in 1758

Clifton Burial GroundRef 5-223
In the 1920s, the graveyard at St John's Church, Clifton was full.

A new burial ground was established next to the vicarage.

The first burial here – that of Herbert Hirst – took place on 2nd February 1929

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #5

Clifton VicarageRef 5-805
Towngate. The vicarage for St John's Church, Clifton was built for Rev John Child.

In 1890, a piece of land next to the Church was given by Sir George Armytage for the vicarage. The foundation stone was laid on 8th August 1890 by Rev Whitley, deputising for Sir George who was indisposed.

This was built by public subscription.

Designed by Jackson & Fox.

Rev J. Adey was the last vicar to live at the Vicarage.

In 1979, it was sold and is now a private house.

See Clifton Burial Ground and Vicars of Clifton

Cloughfoot Independent Congregational Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-186

The Independents were established here around 1840.

The Chapel opened in 1854.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


The Chapel closed in 1990.

It is now private housing.

The graveyard is still there. The Chapel is discussed in the book Valley of a Hundred Chapels

Cloughfoot Independent Congregational Graveyard, TodmordenRef 5-664
The graveyard for Cloughfoot Independent Congregational Chapel

The Chapel closed in 1990.

It is now private housing.

The graveyard is still there.

Colden Wesleyan ChapelRef 5-502

Recorded on 20th June 1891, when the corner-stones were laid for a new Chapel and School

Coley ChapelRef 5-C190
A chapel of ease built in 1529 – the same year as Eastfield Chapel, Lightcliffe – as a chapel of ease for the Hipperholme, Northowram, and Shelf townships. The lord of the manor granted land to a number of people, including Thomas Fourness and Richard Holdsworth for the construction of the chapel.

The chapel was dissolved by the Chantries Act [1548].

From the middle of the 16th century, a school was held in the chapel. The curate, Thomas Standeven, was school-master.

It was considerably enlarged between 1631 and 1638, possibly at the expense of the curate, Richard Denton.

Rev Oliver Heywood was the most famous incumbent at the church. In 1711, it was again enlarged and the west end was rebuilt.

In 1816-1818, it was rebuilt by William Bradley as Coley Church.

In 1842, Valentine Ackroyd Henry Jagger & Thomas Bertram were charged with stealing a quantity of cloth from the pews at Coley Chapel. They were all found guilty and sentence to 1 months' imprisonment. A list of some of the Vicars of Saint John the Baptist, Coley is given in a separate Foldout

See Appleyard sisters, Chantry, John Cowper, Mrs Susanna Danson, Jeremy Gibson, Sisters' Cottage and William Thorpe

Coley Church: East WindowRef 5-720
There were 3 smaller windows beneath the main East Window at Coley Church. In 1901, these smaller windows were moved to the south wall of the Sanctuary.

The 2 smaller windows were added either side of the East Window in 1948

Coley Church: FontRef 5-723
The oak font was installed in 1996

Coley Church: OrganRef 5-724
The organ at Coley Church was in the West Gallery. It was moved to the south side of the Chancel [1901/1902].

An organ by Conacher was installed in 1939. This was electrified in 1941.

A new organ was installed in 1948. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register

Coley Church: PewsRef 5-725
Box pews at Coley Church were installed in 1596.

The old box pews were removed and replaced [1901/1902]

Coley Church: PulpitRef 5-722
There were 2 Pulpits in Coley Church. These were both removed in 1901/1902. One was taken to Lightcliffe Old Church

Coley Church: West GalleryRef 5-721
There were originally galleries on 3 sides of Coley Church. The north and south galleries were removed in 1901/1902.

The Organ was in the West Gallery until 1901/1902 when it was moved to the Chancel.

The oak and glass front on the West Gallery was installed in 2002

Coley, Parish ofRef 5-C1706
See Parish of Northowram

Coley VicarageRef 5-804
The vicarage for St John the Baptist, Coley stood south of the church in Coley Road. It was built around 1749.

See Vicars of Coley

Colliers' Chapel, CliftonRef 5-231
A popular name for Highmoor Lane Methodist Chapel, Clifton

Commercial Street Methodist Church, Hebden BridgeRef 5-470
In the 1830s, disputes within the local Methodist community led to a split. This resulted in one group holding their meetings at rooms in Commercial Street, and another holding theirs at Weaver's Square, Heptonstall. These 2 subsequently joined together and established Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel, Hebden Bridge which was halfway between the two

Commissioner's ChurchRef 5-745

Consecrated churchRef 5-776
When all the When all outstanding debts on the church have been paid, it is a consecrated church. Until then, it is a licensed church

Convent of the Sisters of the Most Holy Cross & Passion, HalifaxRef 5-432
Recorded in 1905.

See Rev Mother Casimir

Copley Parish ChurchRef 5-C724

Copley VicarageRef 5-807
The vicarage for the Parish Church of St Stephen the Martyr, Copley stood in Halifax Long Woods, Wakefield Road, Copley. The property was sold in the 1960s. It was subsequently demolished and housing built on the site.

See Vicars of Copley

Cornholme Church, TodmordenRef 5-40
On 29th September 1900, the foundation stone of a new church for the Cornholme district was laid by Mrs Masters-Whittaker.

Mrs Masters-Whittaker gave the site and bore the whole cost of the building

Cornholme Mission Church, TodmordenRef 5-506
Recorded in 1897, when Rev R. E. Price preached his first sermon and on 14th November 1900 when Rev J. T. Marchant preached his farewell sermon

Cornholme Parish ChurchRef 5-924

Cornholme, Parish ofRef 5-C1777
The parish of Cornholme was created in 1903. St Michael & All Angels' Church is the parish church.

In 1910, this was included in the Diocese of Wakefield.

See Todmorden & Lancashire

Cornholme United Methodist Free ChurchRef 5-440

Cote Hill Primitive Methodist ChapelRef 5-381
Opened on 29th March 1867

Cow Green preaching roomRef 5-C3
The first Methodist preaching room in Halifax opened at Cow Green in 1749.

This was superseded by Church Lane Chapel in 1752

Cragg ChurchRef 5-619

Cragg Vale Methodist GraveyardRef 5-558
The graveyard of Cragg Vale Methodist Chapel

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Cragg Vale VicarageRef 5-806
Swine Market Lane, Cragg Vale.

Before the 1860s, the Vicar of St John in the Wilderness, Cragg Vale lived in the building which is now Cragg Vale Sunday School.

It was superseded by Woodville which was the Vicarage from the 1860s, until a new one was built in 1901.

There is a tablet inscribed

To the Glory of God, and in loving memory of, Hinchliffe Hinchliffe Esq. JP, of Cragg Hall in this parish, this Vicarage house is erected, by his daughter Helen Strickland, AD 1901

The design, in Vernacular Revival style, is similar to Cragg Hall.

When the vicar left in 1966, it was discovered that the building suffered from dry rot. Jimmy Savile, a devout Catholic, was made an honorary churchwarden of St John in the Wilderness, Cragg Vale in 1967 after a fund-raising campaign to raise £7,500 for a new vicarage, so that they could appoint a new vicar.

It is now a private house.

See Vicars of Cragg Vale

Cragg Vale Wesleyan ChapelRef 5-24
Opened in 1855. It accommodated around 260 worshippers [1845].

It closed in the 1970s.

It is now known as Wesley House

Ministers at the Church have included


See Cragg Vale Wesleyan Chapel Memorial and Cragg Vale Wesleyan Chapel Graveyard

Cragg Vale Wesleyan Graveyard, GraveyardRef 5-875
The burial ground for Cragg Vale Wesleyan Chapel.

The following people, and/or members of their family, were buried and/or have memorials here:


Crimsworth Dean ChapelRef 5-175
Haworth Road.

A small chapel built by the Crimsworth Dean Society in 1865.

The Sunday School anniversary was held in a barn adjoining Cross End Farm.

In 1865, the church congregation moved to a new chapel at Stone Booth Lane.

The chapel closed in July 1996.

It is now a private house

Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist ChapelRef 5-C282
Pecket Well.

Opened 1834.

Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School was built opposite in 1868.

Closed in 1996. Both buildings are listed.

The chapel is now a private house. The graveyard is still in existence.

In February 2010, the burial ground was advertised for sale.

Ministers at the Church have included


See Crimsworth Board School, Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Memorial, Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Graveyard and Wesleyan Methodist

Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist GraveyardRef 5-621
The graveyard for Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Pecket Well

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

See Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Memorial

Cross Hills Methodist Church, GreetlandRef 5-781
The name given to the new Greetland Methodist Church [2014].

During the development, much of the Graveyard was sold for housing. The remains were exhumed and reburied at Elland Cemetery in a grave identified as Greetland Methodist Church.

The ashes from the first – John Hirst – and last – ? – burials are to be reinterred in a memorial garden at the new Church.

Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel, Hebden BridgeRef 5-C446
In 1838, two groups of Methodists from Commercial Street, Hebden Bridge and Weaver's Square, Heptonstall built this joint chapel, at the top of The Buttress and midway between the two.

The chapel cost £2,700 to build. It opened in June 1840. It accommodated 700 worshippers.

There was a large Sunday school and a day school.

The members were active in the local temperance movement.

In 1884, it was altered:

  • The gallery was extended
  • The pulpit was replaced by a platform
  • An organ was installed

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


It closed in 1958.

In 1962, Cross Lanes Methodists, Foster Lane Methodists, and Salem Wesleyan Methodists amalgamated.

Hebden Bridge & District Band of Hope Union was established here.

The building was destroyed by fire in 1965. It was demolished.

A house was built on the site.

The graveyard is still there, at the top of the Buttress.

See Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel Memorial and James Gaukroger

Cross Lanes United Methodist Graveyard, Hebden BridgeRef 5-605
The graveyard of Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel, Hebden Bridge.

The Chapel closed in 1958 and was destroyed by fire in 1965 and the building was demolished.

The graveyard is still there.

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #1

Cross Stone CemeteryRef 5-C207

Cross Stone, Parish ofRef 5-C1768
In 1910, this was included in the Diocese of Wakefield.

In 1994, Cross Stone and Todmorden parishes merged.

See St Paul's Church, Cross Stone and Todmorden & Lancashire

Cross Stone ParsonageRef 5-747
The parsonage for St Paul's Church, Cross Stone.

Jane Branwell died here

Cross Stone School Chapel, TodmordenRef 5-483
The building is now used as a funeral parlour

Crowtrees Lane Free Church, RastrickRef 5-371
Aka Crowtrees United Methodist Free Church, Crowtrees Lane Free Methodist Chapel.

Designed by Robert Flather Rogerson [1876].

Opened on 3rd September 1877.

It superseded the Crowtrees Methodist Chapel, Rastrick.

In 1907, it became the United Methodist Church.

In 1949, it faced closure but remained active.

In 1970, it closed and was demolished because it had become unsafe.

The congregation joined the Anglicans at St Matthew's Church, Rastrick which became a joint Anglican and Methodist church when the Local Ecumenical Partnership was formed in January 1991.

Bungalows now stand on the site, next to a small parade of shops.

See Crowtrees Lane United Methodist Memorial, Rastrick

Crowtrees Methodist Chapel, RastrickRef 5-57
Crowtrees Lane.

Formed by the Elland Methodist Circuit in 1859, when a group moved from Elland to Rastrick.

They held their first services in a small rented room in New Hey Road.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


In 1864, they used a building at Oaks Green.

In 1877, it was superseded by the Crowtrees chapel – a United Methodist Free Church

© Malcolm Bull 2024
Revised 15:12 / 14th January 2024 / 73004

Page Ref: C109_C

search tips advanced search
site search by freefind